Re: Greetings! First question..

  • jeffrey
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2013
      Hi,
      That's a rather broad question you've got there. More info is needed. What is the grade difference between the house and the building sight? 10 inches? 10 feet? Is the main house on a sewer or septic? Where is it located and where does the building sewer exit the house? What is the frost depth in your location, things are done differently in North Dakota than they are in North Florida. Are building permits required in your locale? Where are you getting your power from? What is your source of heat? etc.

      Jeff

      --- In Accessory_Dwelling_Unit@yahoogroups.com, "Kristy Hunt" <khunt1989@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I am currently in the process of transitioning my childhood backyard treehouse hangout into my very first tiny house. This is my first ever building project, and so far it's been quite the experience! I am happy to have stumbled upon this Accessory Dwelling Unit term, as it fits my situation so perfectly. I am hoping that you all will have some advice to send my way about a few things that seem like bigger issues to tackle.
      > I have finally closed up the interior on the approx. 100ft2 space, everything insulated, sheet rocked, and painted. Originally this was as far as I was going to take the project(along with furnishing and decorating), decidedly sharing the kitchen and bathroom of the main house. However, I have changed my mind. In the decision to share this space with my partner and 3 dogs, and considering the number of people living in the main house with only one bathroom, I have made plans to include a bathroom and small kitchen into my tiny house.
      > Everything seems doable, closing in a small space underneath the existing treehouse structure for a bathroom allows for combination kitchen above and bathroom plumbing below. I understand most of the basic concepts of plumbing, but am a bit concerned about the best way to integrate the ADU plumbing into the main drain and potable water lines.
      > Basically this is my first question for those of you who have completed such a project:
      > How did you go about combining the two plumbing systems? Specifically if the two dwelling are not at all connected by wall space. My tiny house is uphill about 30ft behind the main house( at least I have gravity going in my favor!)
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Kristy

    • martininthefuture
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2013
        Hi Kristy,

        Having gotten this far, it sounds like you are the adventurous sort. :)

        I actually won't chime in with much about the plumbing, because like Jeffrey noted, it's really hard to know about your particular situation. You probably need someone to help you there in your area. But basically -- the pipes have to be connected so that the water flows the way you want it to. :) FWIW My ADU is connected to the plumbing in the main house by pipes that come from the basement of the main house and travel underground to the ADU. Have you done a test to even see if you would get usable water pressure up in the treehouse? (after all, it is higher).

        But let me make one observation that may or may not throw a wrench in the works. What you describe in your message seems to be a *gigantic* change in the function of the ADU structure...

        ...the place that was *originally* your childhood hangout, and then 100 sf house -- which all sounds like very *private* space -- is now going to be shared with another person and their animals. When you say shared, I'm not sure what you mean -- for living full time? as an occasional retreat? etc.

        So my question is -- do you really want to do that? A 100 sf place could be a veritable castle for someone living alone. The small size is more than compensated by the privacy. But with multiple inhabitants, you get less space and less privacy.

        The question is, really, is the building still doing what you want it to, if you indeed add the kitchen and bathroom and allow more inhabitants?

        Perhaps you've already thought this through, but if not, it's worth doing, before getting into all the cost and trouble of creating a kitchen and bathroom.

        Good luck!

        Martin
      • martininthefuture
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2013
          ps I make these points not to be hard on you, but because I know that many people are attracted to the idea of tiny houses because they are "a space of one's own".