Re: Existing, unpermitted ADU on property we are looking to buy

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2012
      You don't say how long this ADU has been in existence. Does it predate the current zoning? If it has proven not to be a nuisance to the neighbors and it meets all the safety codes, smoke detectors, egress windows, electrical grounding and loads, GFCI's, AFCI's (hate them), etc. I wouldn't worry about it except to consider that it could at some point attract the attention of code enforcement. Usually this is instigated by the assessors inspection for property tax reevaluation or by applying for an unrelated permit. It is very unlikely that they would require demolition unless the structure is dangerous or you are grossly exceeding your allowable lot coverage. The ADU could also be decommisioned by removing the cooking facilities. Some California Cities are quite amenable to ADU's . Santa Cruz even provides a selection of stock plans :
      http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/index.aspx?page=1158

      Jeff
    • Gloria Riker
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2012
        Thanks to those who have offered tips and suggestions.  We are still in the thick of this.  Once we figure our where we are going, we'll reply back to the group and let you know what's happening.

        Gloria