HOW DO WE REACT?

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2012
      June 27, 2012

      HOW DO WE REACT?

      When someone blames us, how do we react? When we've lost something, how do we react? When we feel we've gained something, how do we react? When we feel pleasure or pain, is it as simple as that? Do we just feel pleasure or pain? Or is there a whole libretto that goes along with it?

      When we become inquisitive about these things, look into them, see who we are and what we do, with the curiosity of a young child, what might seem like a problem becomes a source of wisdom. Oddly enough, this curiosity begins to undercut what we call ego pain or self-centeredness, and we see more clearly.

      --Pema Chodron, When Things Fall Apart:Heart Advice for Difficult Times, page 50.