Preservation os all our Alford collection

  • gilalford@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2013
      Hi,

      Pasted in below is some of a recent email exchange between Jim Alford of Mountain Home, TX and my self.

      What are your thoughts or ideas--- assuming you have some.

      If you are not familiar with archive.org then you ought to go there, get with their WayBack Maching" and do a search for "Alford."

      Gil

      "Back to the bucket list item. I like for us to be sure that we have something in place that if or when something happens to AAFA or most of our programs that all the work we have done on the website will be preserved and available "forever" for those who might want it."

      "I'm not up at all on IT and don't even know if our webhost offers such a thing. I know there is a http://www.archive.org/, but looking there I don't see a solution. It seems more and more outfits are offering a cloud service which I guess is a take off on the thing amazon.com & Kindle have going. I use it and find it neat, but I don't suggest we use that."
      -- Gil Alford
      Gil ,

      My jaw dropped when I read your two paragraphs above; this is the reason I'm back!

      My own mortality or, perhaps something higher, has pushed me to worry about what will become of several lifetimes of work expended to discover and preserve our history and heritage.

      Our English cousins worked over a century piecing together our lineage back to the Auld Forde on the River Dee. Then they published it the only way they could and spread copies across three continents to insure its survival.

      I have been actively searching for ways to preserve the 25-50+ years work that you,,Lynn, Pam, Max, Wick and countless others have put in.

      My first thought and I think it's almost mandatory is a set of cd's or dvds containing every genealogy, obituary, photo, biography, etc These can be commercially made up in boxed sets.

      Then, every Alford family should be sold a set. Every archive that will accept them should be given a set.

      Archive.org is my top choice right now since they already have the English book.

      I have been looking for a web site too but, unless it is a nonprofit or government site, it may not be there in 50 years!
      -- Jim Alford