Re: [About_Alfords] California Obituaries Need Typing

  • Alicia Roundy Houston
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 26, 2012
      Sure, I can do that.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: pamrthompson <pamrthompson@...>
      To: about_alfords <about_alfords@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, Oct 26, 2012 2:08 pm
      Subject: [About_Alfords] California Obituaries Need Typing

      I have about 20 old (1950-1979) newspaper obituaries from the San Diego Union. Would you like to volunteer to type them so I can add them to our California Obituaries collection?

      Thank you,
      Pamela Alford Thompson
      Obituaries Project Manager

    • gilalford@charter.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 26, 2012
        Alicia,

        I really like to see that old AAFA "What Can I Do for Ya'll" spirit still lives with you.  Too many of us have gotten so old, beat up, and tired that our helping has decreased.  I think if the "help" attitude of the "alfs" in the early 1980s was as it is today we would never have gotten to the point of forming an association.

        Thanks for all you have done over the years, including that awesome job  as AAFA Census Project Manager for over a decade, and for the work you still do.

        Gil

           Su re, I can do that.

      • pamrthompson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 27, 2012
          Thanks, Alicia! And if anyone else is thinking about doing some typing, I have lots more from various states that are waiting.

          --Pam

          In a message dated 10/26/2012 12:26:42 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, arhouston@... writes:

          Sure, I can do that.

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 28, 2012
            Gil,
            I've always enjoyed working with you and working for dead Alfords -- especially my own, of course.
            After twenty years with the census, and all the changes in technology, it just seems that extracting data was no longer such a good use of time.  One can find actual census images online at little or no cost nowadays.  Today, I sit down and put together a complete family group sheet in about 4 hours, whereas it might have taken a year when we first started.  It is truly amazing!

            The work with Oregon Alfords has been very exciting.  Compiling whole families and generations of Alfords, many spanning several western states.  Gee, I wish I could make a living at this.

            I've finished entered all of the Alfords of Oregon into the Cemetery database.  I've been working on the Washington Alfords, and doing spelling variations for Oregon.

            My biggest question is what to do with family information gathered so far.  I don't want to send it to you.... you have too much stuff already.  I am interested in what you and Wayne are cooking up -- an integrated data collection?
            In other words, how can I integrate what I have with what you have without you retyping?
            Please don't tell me Dbase.  I have handwritten family group sheets, some of which are on established Alford families.  Some might link to known Alford families.  Should I talk to Lynn?

            Hope you are feeling well.  Lots of exciting things are happening in the genealogy field.  Family Search is very exciting, with all their free records --- really giving Ancestry a run for their money!

            Hugs.

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012

              Alicia,

              Yes, and I guess most folks cannot understand getting enjoyment out of what we are doing, but after 30+ years of it I find there is little I'd rather do, and I think you could include eating and sleeping.  I know it sounds dumb but I can see that we are doing a service for some Alford or Alford kin, who without our help, would not know as much as they could about his or her Alford kin.  It is hard for me to even imagine where Alford Nation would be had we not stumbled into all this years ago.  But I think most folks take it for granted now.  I wonder how many other or which surnames have something similar.  It is true that one can find a lot of data and find it fast, but where do they put it all together and relate it like AAFA does?

              As to what to do with the information gathered.  By all means we want to get it on the website, and I think it is set up in a very flexible and varied way so that there is a place for just about everything, and in most cases we have things were they are supposed to be.  Relating and linking are the key here.  And, you don't have to send it all to me.  Some comes here but other things can go directly to the web site after some arrangements are made.

              If you have the genealogies in mind then the best thing for you to do is enter the data in PAF or whatever genealogy software you use and send me a GEDCOM file.  Within a matter of minutes I can import that into the file we have and make the appropriate connections.  But, Lynn and I are continuously updating genealogy files on the computer.  It takes more work and time to get that processed and uploaded to the website.  If you have looked lately you will see we have about 100 genealogies there and we have just about finished, for the moment, another one.

              In just the last week I sent Lynn a report of the data we have in the genealogy file JOH696MD.  It does not include the info from Wayne to you and Lynn of  Sep 4, but I have it here to enter.  If you want to give it a try I can send you a copy of the almost 3MB report.  Your GEDCOM would have to be such that it would merge with what we have and not overlap or duplicate.  You would need to tell me what connections to make.  Once we get the file updated with all I have for input here perhaps you would like to take over the management of the file and be responsible for it's upkep and maintenance.

              For various information on Oregon and Washington Alford it will best if we work with the State Data Pages as our starting point.  We probably have other data that can be placed there but I need you help in figuring that out.  Data linked from there is pretty skimpy when compared to NC or TX.  If you have data that can be entered into a table then I can set you up with a simple text file that has HTML coding and show you easily how you can add to that file and prepare an HTML file that we can upload.  And you won't even have to run it through dbase.

              Depending upon what you have -- there are probably other ways where you can do all, or most, of the typing.  I agree, the last thing I need is more stuff to do here.  I've been working on my suspenses and backlog and would you believe I have some that goes back to 1996 or 97.

              I don't have any details as to what other integration Wayne has in mind.  I think his top priority is on the census stuff at present.  We are making great headway but there is still so much to do, and as simple and straight forward as it is, folks just don't want to help.  This is the first and only case after all these years where any member, or any person actually, sitting at the computer can key cemetery data in and send directly to Wayne who checks for bombs and things:)  then clears it for the website.

              Family Group Sheets that are not a part of an established genealogy are something else.  We have a place for them.  FGR_PAGE   and they are used in our reference page.  Go to this link and scroll down to the part that says "Reference By Ancestor of Alford" and then select or click on a couple of the letter links.  SEE REFS (I sure hope I got that right.  Holler if the link does not work.

              If you are willing I can show you how to do this very easily.

              Why don't you get back to me on a case by case basis.

              And thanks for all you have done all these years.

              Hope you can make it to the meeting in NC next year.  Several of us are already hard at work on NC Alfords, dead & alive.

              Gil

            • usmpcp@att.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
                Gil and Alicia,

                This stuff is fun. So many Alfords and so little time. I am working on some data integration ideas, but not much of it is grown up enough to publish yet. Right now, I am working on applications that work with GedCom files. Gedcoms are produced by virtually all the standard genealogy software packages, and they are really very simple files from a structural standpoint, easily converted to database and/or html formats.

                Alicia, as computer literate as you are, and as accurately as you work (your data for cemeteries is always very clean!), I have to ask if you would be interested in working some in html. It really is very straight-forward once you begin to use it, and does not require any special software. I do virtually all my html work in Notepad - it really doesn't take any software more advanced than that. Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, and most other word processors now have the capability to save files directly to html format, too. There is an excellent website that has a superb tutorial for html - if you are interested.

                As Gil offered, I too, will help you any way that I can.

                thanks for all you have done

                Wayne

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
                  Alicia,

                  What Wayne says about doing HTML in a text editor is true.  Actually I use one of two other programs: MS FrontPage which is probably obsolete now but still takes care of my need and more often CuteFTP.  To really take any load off any of us you will need to access the server and I have obtained approval from the board of directors to have you access the server.  If you are willing Max will give you the access codes. There are only a half-dozen  who have access.  I don't know how Wayne gets to the server, but most of us use CuteFTP  from Globalscape.com where you could download the electronic version for less than $50.  I think there is a later version out now and it may cost a bit more.  I don't use all that is in the version I have so I hardly need more.

                  Gil

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
                    Gil,

                    Would a form-mail family group sheet that could be filled in by any user and submitted to AAFA data management staff be a worthwhile application? I think I could produce a form that would follow a standard FGS format (BK, FTW, etc.) I might have to limit it to ten or twelve children, but provide some capability to identify and submit a continuation of the kids. I would ask the user to identify the family branch from a pulldown app, if the submitter knows, otherwise leave the family branch blank. I just got to thinking about it as a possible means of identifying new additions to the family. Think about it.

                    Wayne

                  • gilalford@charter.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
                      Wayne,

                      Yes, it would be better than what we have now.  Further in might seem more user friendly to folks and get more use than the cemetery input forms.  It would really be a step up from the notes on brown paper bags and paper napkins that I used to get.

                      If there are going to be many continuations, like maybe someone wants to add a whole new limb of the tree that we don't have.  Maybe a new discovery of information about an Alford daughter who married and the whole bunch is not Alfords.  In such cases then a GEDCOM would be best since all that would be needed it to import into the existing file and make the link.  We could probably even stretch the GEDCOM beyond that.  When we get the data by FGRs and form -mail then it still has to be keyed into the genealogy program so it will still create work, and more backlog for those of us who manage the BK files.  When you get things sufficiently integrated the integration might take care of it.

                      I'm concerned too with a situation that we are creating whereby I'm removed as the critical point and replaced by you.  I've always been concerned about what would happen to the stuff where I in that position when I croak.  We are now putting you in that position, and we sure don't see any croaking in your case, but you are not a bundle of health, and you have created something far more complex than I have.  Who and how will all the form-mail for cemeteries be processed if you get run over by a street car tomorrow?

                      Gil

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
                        May I weigh in on this discussion?
                        I think that we ought not invent a new way to input families.

                        Most folks have some kind of personal genealogy program, such as Family Tree Maker, PAF, Brother's Keeper, etc.
                        If not, they should get one.
                        There are about a dozen good ones out there (Really good ones!).  Each has a slightly different focus, but they all are very good.  The price is now very affordable (around $35) and they each have a free version for folks to try.

                        [I used PAF for many years, but about a year ago switched over to Roots Magic.  It suits my purposes better than the several others that I tried.  FYI: Although still free, and still a good beginner program, PAF is no longer supported by the LDS church and will soon be obsolete.]

                        All personal genealogy programs have a feature that allows transfer of data via a gedcom file.  This is a universally recognized format.  Wayne, if you invent some new kind of format no one else will be able to pick up where you left off.
                        Whereas, anyone can import or export a gedcom file.

                        Instead of asking folks to fill out your digital form,  just ask them to start a new file in their genealogy programs and send you a gedcom.  You don't need more work to do either.

                        Alicia

                        Yes, it would be better than what we have now.  Further in might seem more user friendly to folks and get more use than the cemetery input forms.  It would really be a step up from the notes on brown paper bags and paper napkins that I used to get.

                        If there are going to be many continuations, like maybe someone wants to add a whole new limb of the tree that we don't have.  Maybe a new discovery of information about an Alford daughter who married and the whole bunch is not Alfords.& nbsp; In such cases then a GEDCOM would be best since all that would be needed it to import into the existing file and make the link.  We could probably even stretch the GEDCOM beyond that.  When we get the data by FGRs and form -mail then it still has to be keyed into the genealogy program so it will still create work, and more backlog for those of us who manage the BK files.  When you get things sufficiently integrated the integration might take care of it.

> [...]

                        > > through dbase.
                        > > Depending upon what you have -- there are probably other ways where
                        > > you can do all, or most, of the typing.  I agree, the last thing I
                        > > need is more stuff to do here.  I've been working on my suspenses and
                        > > backlog and would you believe I have some that goes back to 1996 or
                        > > 97.
                        > > I don't have any details as to what other integration Wayne has in
                        > > mind. I think his top priority is on the census stuff at present.  We
                        > > ; are making great headway but there is still so much to do, and as
                        > > simple and straight forward as it is, folks just don't want to help.
                        > > This is the first and only case after all these years where any
                        > > member, or any person actually, sitting at the computer can key
                        > > cemetery data in and send directly to Wayne who checks for bombs and
                        > > things [:)]   then clears it for the website.
                        < DIV ALIGN="LEFT">> > Family Group Sheets that are not a part of an established genealogy

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
                          Alicia,

                          I partially agree with you, but just sending GEDCOMS with out some coordination and prior arrangements will not help.  If you send me a GEDCOM of your THO802VA stuff I'll probably not do a thing with it.  It will not fit well as an import to what I have.  I need a GEDCOM of the new data that I don't have and I need to know how to link them.  I do not have the desire to get one, open it up and then  cut and paste to make it fit.

                          I think what Wayne has in mind would serve well for the interim.

                          Gil

                          On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Alicia Roundy Houston wrote:

> [...]

                          > > through dbase.
                          > > Depending upon what you have -- there are probably other ways where
                          > > you can do all, or most, of the typing.  I agree, the last thing I
                          > > need is more stuff to do here.  I've been working on my suspenses and
                          > > backlog and would you believe I have some that goes back to 1996 or
                          > > 97.
                          > > I don't have any details as to what other integration Wayne has in
                          > > mind. I think his top priority is on the census stuff at present.  We
                          > >  ; are making great headway but there is still so much to do, and as
                          > > simple and straight forward as it is, folks just don't want to help.
                          > > This is the first and only case after all these years where any
                          > > member, or any person actually, sitting at the computer can key
                          > > cemetery data in and send directly to Wayne who checks for bombs and
                          > > things [:)]   then clears it for the website.
                          <  DIV ALIGN="LEFT"> > > Family Group Sheets that are not a part of an established genealogy > > are something else.  We have a place for them.  FGR_PAGE <

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
                            Gil,

                            Among other things, I am working on a small set of executables, really very simple small programs (or one application with three small parts on the menu) that take the email input data from form mail, transfer the data to the state tables, and output the data to the html files that you see on the cemetery pages. I had originally planned to wait til I was done to let you know. My idea is to distribute, in coordination with you, a setup set to a small number of our folk on "Install in the event of my death" CD's, so that someone can take over the process. The only real manual work that I do with the cemetery forms submitted is copy the entire text of the email to a memo field and the programs handle it from there. There is one step where the program lets me review the data in each submission before it is posted to the state table. The review takes only a few seconds of looking over the submitted information and either clicking "post" or "Pending" so that I can do a bit of research if required.

                            I don't intend to be hit by a streetcar, at least not in Walnut Grove, but I have thought out what you posed. In addition to the CD distribution of the program, I could put new copies of the state tables (all the data is in one folder with a subfolder for each state) on the FTP portion of the site periodically. Then if the streetcar does get me, or Parky gets to the point where I can't type, someone can pick right up. I don't think that with all the data you have, that I am much of a critical point.

                            Alicia, I certainly don't intend any replacement of folks genealogy software or even my own, I do appreciate you weighing in. Always do so, please. What I had in mind was that people could use the form in one of two ways, or more precisely for one of two purposes:

                            1. It would provide a means of submitting corrections to us for information already published in our genealogies on line.
                            2. It would allow users to submit information on new generations that the branch manager could post to his genealogy software for the branch. In many cases, this would be data that would not necessarily appear on the website, for example, for living persons.

                            Even with the branches that I maintain, I use and will continue to use the commercial genealogy software. However, there are many things in the integration arena that requires the ability to drill down in a relational database. And the gedcom file is (almost) seamlessly compatible with the database and vice versa. I can extract from my alford database to a gedcom that any of the software packages can use directly, because there is an industry standard for the gedcom.

                            thanks, again,

                            Wayne

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
                              Wayne,
                              If you are talking about an easy way to make minor updates to existing family trees, or individuals on existing family trees, then that is an entirely different thing!  And I am all for it!

                              Gil and I were just discussing that very thing.  Updating our records with death or burial records is exactly where our members could contribute.  Same with new births and marriages.

                              Count me in.
                              Alicia

                              ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/About_Alfords/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/About_Alfords/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: About_Alfords-digest@yahoogroups.com About_Alfords-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: About_Alfords-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/