Alford Obituaries

  • gilalford@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
      Hi,

      If someone were to ask me for my view on the most significant accomplishment of the AAFA over these last 25 years I would be inclined to say our Obituary Collection. I class it as the First Wonder of Alford Nation. Our Obits Editor or Project Officer is Pamela Alford Thompson, a person whom I hold in very high esteem.

      If you have not visited there lately then you are missing a real treat. There are thousands of pages that must include tens of thousands of "Alford" obituaries. But there is more!! Many have AAFA NOTES that elaborate on the Alford and frequently include a brief Alford lineage. Many are also identified to a particular AAFA Alford genealogy and links to that genealogy are provided in the intro to that obit file. I find it awesome to just go there and browse and explore.

      Just go to www.alfordassociation.org>databases>obituaries.

      All states are listed except Alabama and Tennessee. In the last update that is noted with a remark that both are very large files and the wait for them will be long.. UNLESS YOU WANT TO VOLUNTEER TO HELP.

      I know that it is not as popular to "volunteer" these days as it was back in the good ole days, but is there not even one of you who will offer to help Pam?

      I'll do what I can, but anything I do will be at the expense of other AAFA work.

      Gil Alford
    • Lorraine Tallent
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
        I want to update you on my parents, Sam and Anita Wilson.  My Mom has Alzheimer's, on medication and seems to be doing better than most.  She is very vocal in what she will and will not do!  Seems healthy, but has an irregular heart beat, high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
        Dad has been caring for Mom, but in the last 2 months has gone down hill quickly.  We are ordering Hospice to get better in home care.
        They do not use the computer and watch a lot of TV and sleep.  His mind is fuzzy at times, has lost all muscle mass and needs help walking.  Dad would love to lie in bed and be waited on, hand and foot!  He has an excellent care giver that is only there during the week.  He will not co-operate with the other in home help at night and on weekends.  He can be manipulative........And, will turn 90 the 25th of this month.
        I do not know if he will last the year.  It is a wait and see situation.
        I am in contact with them almost daily and we visit monthly or when an emergency occurs.  We have installed Nanny cams to watch them, which is very reassuring.
        When I am not dealing with their matters, I am babysitting my 3 yr.old twin grandkids.  My second son, Jason and his wife, Susie moved to Texas from San Francisco last February.  We have been a big part of their lives since.
        I am not sure you have all the information on my family, but would love to send that info when I can.  I don't even go to the website and look around.  Now that you have introduced me to the Obituary section, it sounds like a good read.  I still quilt, which is my passion, garden and try to have some outside activities.  Yesterday, I got so wired dealing with papers, phone calls and making appointments for our visit next week to my parents' home, I could not calm down till 4:00 a.m.  I quilted.  I seem to be bouncing through different stages of emotions.  The first 30 years of my marriage were so calm compared to the last 10 years.  Our motto is, "Boring is good!"  I would really love some boring days ahead.

        God Bless you all,     Lorraine Wilson Tallent

      • gilalford@charter.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
          Lorraine,

          Thanks for the message.  I have forwarded it on to John Rogers who is the AAFA manager of your branch of the family- Job Alford 1763 NC & descendants.  He should be getting in touch with you.

          I encourage you to visit the web site often.  There is no cost and it will not wear out.  You, and every other AAFA member, are/is responsible for the site being there as well as for what it contains.  It should be a good place to go, relax, and get your mind off things.  It might be a good idea to start on the UPDATES page to see the most recent changes.  Go to www.alfordassociation.org/updates.html

          Gil

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012

            I have the Coffee County Obituary Book from the 1970's I'll send it to you a little at the time.

            Pat Sidebottom