25th Anniversary & Review

  • gilalford@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2012
      Hi,

      In case you have not heard-- AAFA is celebrating it's 25 Anniversary this year. It was 25 years ago this month that I announced the formation of the association in the January 1987 issue of my old newsletter "About Alfords." I'm sure that none of us at that time expected it to last for 25 years. I know I didn't... heck, I was not sure it would last one year. But that just goes to show you that even after working with some of them for five or six years I just did not really appreciate what the subscribers to that "About Alfords" were made of. It was them that made AAFA succeed in the beginning and to last for 25 years. If you are an active member (dues current) you'll be reading about these last 25 years and the folks who made it happen in the 4 quarterlies coming out this year and there will be stuff about it on our web site. We will be covering people, activity, and meetings.

      We need your help on some of this. After 25 years and now deep into what one might call the "digital revolution" maybe we should take a step or two further. We discussed part of this some time ago but did nothing at the time. It now seems that every business and every organization, as well as most people, are on Facebook and Twitter or have BLOGS. What is AAFA missing? Should we have a Facebook page or site - be on Twitter and use BLOGS. We would like your opinion and an explanation as to how it would work for us.

      We would also like your views about this group -- "About Alfords." It was established primarily to give AAFA members and others who were interested in "Alford" a platform from which they could be heard. The AAFA OnLine Newsletter is great for getting information from AAFA down to subscribers, but it is not for subscribers to communicate with AAFA or other subscribers. The group has been used primarily for Max to get word to folks about DNA sales, etc. He does that with the OLNL as well as this group but to a large extent it is duplicative; the only difference being those non-aafa members who subscribe here.

      If you are not a fairly frequent visitor to the AAFA web site then you are missing good stuff you don't get elsewhere. Unless you know where you are going it is a good idea to always start with the UPDATES page where you can see what has been added lately. Now- at the beginning of the year it would be smart to jump down to the bottom of the updates page and open up the 2011 updates as there has been little activity this year. Why don't you visit and get back here with suggestions, comments and questions. Go to www.alfordassociation.org

      If there is not some increase in subscriber activity on this group soon then we will be giving serious consideration to discontinuing it. We would like your thoughts on that.

      Gil Alford
    • ladalford@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 15, 2012
        Gil,  Don't give up on what you are doing.  I don't know about twitter or blogging, but I do use my facebook. I don't know how it would work with a big group.  It would have to be limited to facts & information & not just trivial things.    LaDonna
      • ladalford@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2012

        • Sharon Harper
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 16, 2012
            There is a way to have a "private group" by invitation on Facebook. That way only members and/or invited guest could correspond. My Alford family has one of these pages and it is great for cousins to stay in touch and reminisce about our parents and grandparents. We post old photos and stories. My husband is on a private page with old hometown people that he knows...sort of a continuing school reunion kind of thing.
            I am not a big "daily gab" Facebook person and I think that has ruined it but this group thing is ideal for FB! I say give it a try...by invite ONLY!

            Sharon F. Harper

            On Jan 15, 2012, at 11:03 PM, ladalford@... wrote:

            Gil,  Don't give up on what you are doing.  I don't know about twitter or blogging, but I do use my facebook. I don't know how it would work with a big group.  It would have to be limited to facts & information & not just trivial things.    LaDonna

          • Sherry Schlereth
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 16, 2012
              I use Facebook daily and I am on several 'private' pages.  It works fairly well.  I know it was suggested a year or more ago and resisted to put the Alford's on FB, but I think it might be a good idea, especially since you can control how much info you get from the group.  But, that's just my opinion.

              To: About_Alfords@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 16, 2012
                I also am on FB.  We have invite only pages for Cognevich family and Mistich family.  It works out pretty good.  One or more members can be the person/persons who give permission for a member to be included.  First you have to be a member of FB and it took me a long time to do that.  I don't keep up with it daily but its  there when I want to enjoy it.
                Evelyn Mistich