Carroll County MS Alford's

  • sharper@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
      I am delighted to be a member of this group. My Alford geneaology is so important to me and I am always looking for a missing link. I have traced my line back to 1455 in Somerset, England. I am most interested in finding more information about William Alford(1620-1709)from New Kent (St.Peters) VA. I do not know if he was born in VA or England. (Wife-Dorothy born abt 1610 in Charles City, VA)I recently posted my updated history on Ancestry.com under "AlfordsOf Somerset". Any additions or corrections would be appreciated.
    • gilalford
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
        Sharon,

        Thank you for the information.

        Have you seen the brief genealogy of your branch of the family, called JOH801GA, on the Alford American Family Association website? You can link it via
        www.alfordassociation,org/GENEALOGIES/JOH801GA.pdf

        It appears that you have found links that many of us have been searching for nearly a quarter century. First is the parent of John Alford the settler in Carroll Co. We have never been able to find his parents in early 1800 Georgia though we do know there were a number of descendants of the New Kent Co., VA Alfords there. In fact my ancestors left there in early 1800s for Louisiana.

        We have had a similar problem finding connections from the New Kent Co. VA Alfords back to England. In fact not only have our members and other contacts been searching, but about 15 years ago the association engaged a certified professional Virginia genealogist to search for us and to no avail.

        It would be greatly apppreciated if you could arrange for a male Alford of your branch to take a Y-DNA test which will tell us which of our DNA participants share a common Alford ancestor with your branch and which do not. We now have about 75 participants in the Y-DNA project but we have not been fortunate enough to involve one from your branch in the DNA test. It is not painful except to the pocket book. If your banch cannot afford the test then perhaps we can find some help. If you will let me know if ya'll can participate I'll ask the AAFA DNA project officer to get in touch with you. Please don't have someone go out on their own for a test because (1) the results may not be compatible with the ones the Alford project uses and (2) the test is probably less expensive through the project.

        Please let me know if you have questions.

        Gil Alford

        --- In About_Alfords@yahoogroups.com, "sharper@..." <sharper@...> wrote:

        > I am delighted to be a member of this group. My Alford geneaology is so important to me and I am always looking for a missing link. I have traced my line back to 1455 in Somerset, England. I am most interested in finding more information about William Alford(1620-1709)from New Kent (St.Peters) VA. I do not know if he was born in VA or England. (Wife-Dorothy born abt 1610 in Charles City, VA)I recently posted my updated history on Ancestry.com under "AlfordsOf Somerset". Any additions or corrections would be appreciated.

      • Bonniejean Alford Hinde, Owner and Photog
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
          yes through the project it is only $239 for the highest level of testing, which is recommended (only $99 for the lowest level).  My branch (the Andrew West Alford branch) is planning to do it once we raise the funds.  My brother has already said yes.

          My research (as well as my father's cousin) has been extensive, but paper trails do end.  I was excited to see how low the price actually is now.

          It would be so amazing to finally interconnect all these alford branches.  My husband and I have only been doing extensive research about three or so years, but we are pretty good with programs like ancestry and other sites and would be happy to help if you wish.

          anyway, my three cents (information is worth at least 50% more than two cents these days)

          thanks

          With Metta
          Bonniejean
          Bonniejean Alford Hinde
          Communication Consultant, Owner, Alford Enterprises
          PO Box 4343
          Wheaton Illinois 60189-4343
          V. 630.752.9434
          bonniejean@...
          www.alfordenterprises.net
          http://alfordenterprises.instaproofs.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
            Thanks BonnieJean,

            Do you folks see what this lady is doing. She is volunteering which means offering to help. As I remember this is twice she has done so, maybe more. Why don't more of you try it. You will like it. Someday when I have time I'll tell you how an innocent act of volunteering in the Army at work call one day drastically changed all of the rest of my life. My kids, and grandkids groan when I mention it. Hey, don't expect any life changing results to come from your volunteering in AAFA though. It could happen I guess but I don't see it.

            We do need the help of each and every member of the association.

            Anyway, I am sure that BonnieJean will be offered more jobs than she wants after AAFA processes her membership application. Other than helping them at no cost or obligation AAFA does not do much with folks until they become a part of the organization. We have no ties to non members who come and go. Once one joins the AAFA then we do all in our power to stay with that person until after their death at which time they are added to our online memorial list, some say it is like an online cemetery just for AAFA members, with their obituary and an In Remembrance article published/posted. See, you can't even die and get out of AAFA. Once you join you are in from then till we are no more. This should not be read as pressure to join the association. We would be honored to have you, but we don't want you unless you want us. We have over 1360 members worldwide and don't "need" any more.

            But, just in case some of you want to join then let me save us some time. Go to the link below and on that page in the top left quarter of the screen is a place you can click to open a pdf file that you can print. Sorry, we are not set up for you to do it on line. Fill out the form and send check for $25 to the treasurer whose address is in the form. Also send along your pedigree or ancestor info.
            www.alfordassociation.org

            Gil Alford

            --- In About_Alfords@yahoogroups.com, "Bonniejean Alford Hinde, Owner and Photographer" <bonniejean@...> wrote:

            > yes through the project it is only $239 for the highest level of testing, which is recommended (only $99 for the lowest level). My branch (the Andrew West Alford branch) is planning to do it once we raise the funds. My brother has already said yes.
            >
            > My research (as well as my father's cousin) has been extensive, but paper trails do end. I was excited to see how low the price actually is now.
            >
            > It would be so amazing to finally interconnect all these alford branches. My husband and I have only been doing extensive research about three or so years, but we are pretty good with programs like ancestry and other sites and would be happy to help if you wish.
            >
            > anyway, my three cents (information is worth at least 50% more than two cents these days)
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > With Metta
            > Bonniejean
            > Bonniejean Alford Hinde
            > Communication Consultant, Owner, Alford Enterprises
            > PO Box 4343
            > Wheaton Illinois 60189-4343
            > V. 630.752.9434
            > bonniejean@...
            > www.alfordenterprises.net
            > http://alfordenterprises.instaproofs.com

          • sharon harper
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
              Cousin Gil,
              My records show John William Alford (1801-1855) as the first settler of my Alford line in Carroll Co., MS.  He was the son of Jacob and Milbria (Millberry?) Gray Alford and was born in Georgia.  He married Leanne W. Rodden (daughter of Joshua Rodden and Charity Carter) in Greene County, AL.  Of their 11 children, my great grandfather was #7 Patrick (Patty) Alford (1841-1933). Patrick and Emma White had 9 children and #6 was my grandfather George Bedford Alford. (Who I knew very well as he lived with us up until his death in 1968).
                  I do not know of any of John William Alford's brothers and sisters. (That is my next search.) His father JACOB was the #1 son of John and Chloe Pope. John Alford (1747-1830) was born in Franklin Co., NC and died in Greene Co., AL.
                  As for my tracking, I have dug around for several years and backtracked from Patrick to find my line as far back as Thomas Alford born 1455 in Whitestaunton, Somerset, England. The first Alford to be found in St.Peters, New Kent, Virgina was William (1620-1709) and he was married to Dorothy__? from Charles City, VA.  They were married in 1650 in Wales. Their son John (1645-1708) was married to Elizabeth Lettice .....and so on. Early settlers came from New Kent, then Franklin and Bute Co., NC, then Georgia and finally to Carroll County, MS sometime between 1828 and 1834 because #2 child was born in AL and #3 child was born in Carroll Co., MS.
                 My eyes cross and I become confused the longer I compare dates.  I know that I am not exact on some of my research but I honestly feel that I am pretty close to putting this puzzle together.  BUT, I am always finding new information. That's what makes this so much fun. Keep in touch.   Cousin Sharon

              Sharon Harper
              (228)826-4999

> [...]

                Please let me know if you have questions.

                Gil Alford

                --- In About_Alfords@yahoogroups.com, "sharper@..." <sharper@...> wrote:

                > I am delighted to be a member of this group. My Alford geneaology is so important to me and I am always looking for a missing link. I have traced my line back to 1455 in Somerset, England. I am most interested in finding more information about William Alford(1620-1709)from New Kent (St.Peters) VA. I do not know if he was born in VA or England. (Wife-Dorothy born abt 1610 in Charles City, VA)I recently posted my updated history on Ancestry.com under "AlfordsOf Somerset". Any additions or corrections would be appreciated.

              • Gilbert Alford
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2010
                  Sharon,

                  You will likely be hearing from Wayne Parrish who is the AAFA manager of the Carroll Co. branch of the Alfords.  He is also a resident of the area and knows many of the folks personally.

                  I just want to comment on the John Alfords that may be getting confused here.

                  Your Carroll Co. John is John William Alford.  I think he is documented as such in several places.

                  John Alford, son of Jacob and Milly Alford (Jacob b. 1781) NC was John C. Alford and he is documented as such in several legal record - one (by memory) was in 1884 estate papers.
                  Then there is another one that no one has claimed.  John H. Alford was the son of Abraham Alford, brother of the above Jacob Alford, and he married (1) Mary E. Barnes and  (2)_ Margaret Williams.

                  I believe your John William Alford b. 1801 in GA is still without a documented father.  If we can get Y-DNA from a direct male descendant of this branch that will at least tell us which branches are kin and which are not.  Remember though.. Y-DNA will not tell us who, when or where.  Seems like I've mentioned that before.

                  ..Gil Alford, AAFA Corresponding Secretary

                  The 2010 (23rd) AAFA Annual Meeting/Reunion will be held in October in New Orleans. Plan to be there. For more go to www.alfordassociation.org/MEETINGS/meet2010.htm