Re: [About_Alfords] AAFA Cemetery Project

  • pamrthompson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2010
      OK, since I already have ALL 50 STATES for obits, I'll take an easy cemetery state: Wyoming! I bet it won't take more than a half hour.

      Gil and the other cemetery project managers, who have pretty hefty states they're working on, have put a lot of effort into this worthwhile and genealogically valuable project. Here are the states whose cemetery projects are underway:

      AZ - June Schaub
      CA - June Schaub
      IL - Bonniejean Hinde (our new editor!)
      LA - Lynn Shelley
      MS - Wayne Parrish
      OK - Sam McCray
      TX - Carolyn Saunders
      VT - Gil Alford
      and now WY - Pam Thompson

      Some really easy states (small number of Alfords) are still available: Alaska, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and South Dakota.

      We would be so encouraged if we'd get some participation in this project, so pick a state and go for it! Once you see how easy it is, you might even want to tackle one of those "big" states that need attention!

      --Pam Thompson

      In a message dated 10/16/2010 6:55:29 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, gilalford@... writes:

      Hi,

      We call it the AAFA Cemetery Project but it would probably be more accurate to call it the Alford (and their immediate kin) Cemetery Project.  With this email we are kicking off the most intense and aggressive cemetery effort since the beginning of AAFA.  No the most EVER!!  We have been fooling around at it for over 25 years (a whole quarter century or about one generation).  Yes, we really started with my old newsletter "About Alfords" (now you know where the name of this group came from) which predated AAFA by about 6 or 7 years.

      I throw down my gauntlet - make a challenge - or however you say it - to you to join me in getting most (that which we can find recorded on the Internet) of this cemetery data into our database before the meeting next year.  We can meet here in St. Louis and celebrate our effort.  If I were still a drinking man I'd offer to buy you a beer.  Maybe we can have a coke, or glass of tea on Ramona.

      We have posted a new cemetery page on the website that you can access via the link below.  (Way below)  For each state is gives you a rough count of what is in our computer on that state now, how many Alford records are at FindAGrave, the computer file size of the applicable obituary compilation on our website (an amazing and fantastic collection) and a count of Alfords who registered for SS in that state in the SSDI.  Where applicable the state Cemetery Project Officer (CPO) is also listed, and we will list you as quickly as we hear from you.

      Wayne Parrish, who is what you might call the AAFA IT officer, is also the AAFA Cemetery Project Officer.  Using an option available in Open Office he has developed a routine whereby each CPO can use that routine and create/manage the data for his or her state.  You need not live in the state for which you are responsible, and since this thrust is towards what we can find on the Internet there is no need to go creeping through the dust, mud, weeds, ticks, chiggers, etc. on a real cemetery survey.  We will tell you where to go to find the data and how to enter it in the file form Wayne has fixed.  If enough of you are interested we will set up a CEMPO Yahoo Group so you will have your own private forum.

      Now, all you have to do is check out the link below and get back to us telling us which state you want as your project.  Don't delay as the states will likely be going fast.  BUT please do not respond unless you are serious.  After 25 years we don't want any more fooling around.

      Please go to this link, look, decide and get right back here on the group so the others can see how fast their chance of getting a state is slipping away.

      www.alfordassociation.org/ceme.html

      ..Gil Alford, AAFA Corresponding Secretary

      The 2011 (24th) AAFA Annual Meeting/Reunion will be held in October in St. Louis, MO. Plan now to be there. Mark your calendar and reserve the 2nd week-end so you won't have "prior commitments" then. Watch For more at www.alfordassociation.org

    • Rose Shelton
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2010
        Hi Gil, I am recovering from aortic valve surgery and was afraid I would not be able to help that much, but if there is no real time crunch then I will be more than happy to help.  Just let me know what to do.  Just assign me a state.  Thanks, Rose

        Rose Shelton
        God Bless You!

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2010
          Hi Rose,

          We wish you the best of luck in a speedy recovery from the surgery.  I guess you are over the roughest part.  I don't think this project can hurt you.  About all you will do is look stuff up on the www or AAFA files and then relate it and enter it into the input file that Wayne will provide.

          I'm going to let Wayne Parrish take it from here since he is the AAFA Cemetery Project Officer.  It would be more appropriate for him to pick your state than for me.  In the event the state you get has anything in the data file then I'll get back in the loop briefly to pass that to Wayne so he can set you up with a starting place.

          I think most folks will enjoy this as it really is like a computer genealogy game.

[...]

        • Bonniejean Alford Hinde, Owner and CEO
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2010

            so there is a file he wants us to enter the data in to... I have not received it..

            :)
            With Metta
            Bonniejean
            Bonniejean Alford Hinde
            Founder and CEO/Communication Consultant
            Alford Enterprises
            PO Box 4343
            Wheaton Illinois 60189-4343
            V. 630.752.9434
            bonniejean@...
            www.alfordenterprises.net
            http://alfordenterprises.instaproofs.com
            http://www.amazon.com/shops/alford_enterprises
            http://yardsellr.com/yardsale/Bonniejean-Alford-Hinde-44745

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 16, 2010
              Hi,

              The Wyoming Cemeteries have been completed by Pam, and are posted to the website. Pam used the OpenOffice entry system, and reported that it worked fine. I also appreciate so much her comments on the User Guide. They were minor fixes that do not affect the software operation and will be incorporated in an update soon.

              Mississippi interments for M-P Counties have also been posted to the website.

              Plenty of states are available if you find that you have time to do a State Cemetery Project.

              thanks to all

              Wayne Parrish

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 21, 2010
                Hi,

                All available interment data for Mississippi Cemeteries have now been posted. This completes the initial data collection phase. Maintenance of the files will continue as needed and as new information is discovered. Watch for updates.

                Wayne

                --- In About_Alfords@yahoogroups.com, "usmpcp@..." <usmpcp@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > Now, all you have to do is check out the link below and get back to us telling us which state you want as your project.  Don't delay as the states will likely be going fast.  BUT please do not respond unless you are serious.  After 25 years we don't want any more fooling around.
                > >
                > > Please go to this link, look, decide and get right back here on the group so the others can see how fast their chance of getting a state is slipping away.
                > >
                > > www.alfordassociation.org/ceme.html
                > >
                > > ..Gil Alford, AAFA Corresponding Secretary
                > >
                > > The 2011 (24th) AAFA Annual Meeting/Reunion will be held in October in St. Louis, MO. Plan now to be there. Mark your calendar and reserve the 2nd week-end so you won't have "prior commitments" then. Watch For more at www.alfordassociation.org

              • Sam Mccray
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 22, 2010
                  Wayne, I do have one input.  since i am researching more than one site it is difficult to see if i already have an entry for that person without going through 60 previous Alfords.  Is there a fix possible?
                  Sam

> [...]

                  > > Now, all you have to do is check out the link below and get back to us telling us which state you want as your project.  Don't delay as the states will likely be going fast.  BUT please do not respond unless you are serious.  After 25 years we don't want any more fooling around.
                  > >
                  > > Please go to this link, look, decide and get right back here on the group so the others can see how fast their chance of getting a state is slipping away.
                  > >
                  > > www.alfordassociation.org/ceme.html
                  > >
                  > > ..Gil Alford, AAFA Corresponding Secretary
                  > >
                  > > The 2011 (24th) AAFA Annual Meeting/Reunion will be held in October in St. Louis, MO. Plan now to be there. Mark your calendar and reserve the 2nd week-end so you won't have "prior commitments" then. Watch For more at www.alfordassociation.org

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      About_Alfords-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      About_Alfords-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Bonniejean Alford Hinde, Owner and CEO

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 25, 2010
                      The search function for the OpenOffice database module is used by clicking the binoculars. As Bonnie Jean said, I usually search in the first name field and use the "anywhere in the field" choice. All fields can be searched, too.

                      Wayne

                    • usmpcp@att.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 18, 2010
                        Hi,

                        We are converting the cemetery files from pdf format to HTML. The Mississippi Cemetery file has been completed in the new format. Check it out at

                        http://www.alfordassociation.org/CEMETERY/ms_cem.html

                        The new format includes an index by cemetery name, an index by individual names, and links to the AAFA genealogies directly from the interment entry.

                      • janiceandjohnsmith@verizon.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010
                          This works well with the Edit>Find feature when only a first name or part of a name is available.

                          John

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010
                            Hi John,

                            Thanks for taking a look. The find feature of browsers does work well with this format. It eliminates a pesky problem with half-em spaces in the pdf format that some word processor files produce.

                            Any suggestions for improvement are welcome.

                            thanks,

                            Wayne