      From: About_Alfords@yahoogroups.com [mailto:About_Alfords@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gale Shafer
      Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 1:33 AM
      To: About_Alfords@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [About_Alfords] Elkanah Alford

      That would be 5 generations back for me. I am an only child with no aunts or uncles still alive. There are some first cousins, but we have no contact due to that family issue I spoke of.

      The test is something I might consider in the future, depending on what I can find out from further research.

      Thanks again.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Mar 3, 2014, at 1:08 AM, "Jim Liptrap" <jim@...> wrote:

      Ethnic percentages – Yes, but…..  How many generations back is Sarah’s Father?  And do you have a parent, aunt or uncle still alive to test one generation closer?  Or a sibling or cousin to correlate the results?

      FamilyTreeDNA’s “Family Finder” test is on-sale for $99

      http://www.familytreedna.com/family-finder-compare.aspx

      They are trying to expand their database to improve reliability.  I have found fifth-cousins, which would be a common ancestor in the sixth generation back.  Mainly, the test allows you to connect with others searching the same families.  Finding something “significant” would require matching someone who has done more research than you have.  Or if you were looking for information on “Descendants of….”

      As to percent ethnicity, they can’t necessarily detect anything less than about 3 or 4%, which would be about 5 generations back.

      Data from FamilyTreeDNA can be downloaded (free) to http://www.gedmatch.com/  which claims to find small bits of ethnic DNA, down to less than .1%.  How reliable that is, I have not investigated.

      For either, the more information they can collect, the better their calculations will eventually become.  This is a fairly new technology.  So with time, it should improve.

      For me, ancestors born in the 1770’s are mostly 5th generation back.  If I suspected a different race within that time frame, I would be interested in what the tests had to say.  Whether it could be called “proof” of anything is probably too early to tell.  But it could suggest directions for your research.

      I would be curious to hear what you find out.

      Jim