      Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 8:09 PM
      Subject: Re: [About_Alfords] Revised May 2013 Newsletter - Different

      Johnnie,

      Thanks so much for this reply and the encouraging remarks.  Yours is only the 2nd response or acknowledgment received that revealed that you had actually read the newsletter.

      One of the beauties of "helping" in AAFA is that you don't need to do lots of research or spend big hunks of time working at it.  Just seeing and forwarding or reporting some things is all that is needed.

      Knowing that Pam Thompson is collecting just about every obit that was ever published in the US that mentions "Alford - Alvord - Halford - etc" would remind you of her when you see an obit.  If you have a minute or two you could go to the applicable state compilation and do a quick FIND to see if the subject was included, and if  not figure out the best way to get the obit or the info to Pam.

      In these obits or elsewhere you might see evidence of an "Alford" burial somewhere and that would be information of interest to Wayne Parrish our AAFA Cemetery Project Officer.  Depending on the moment there may be cases where you could get to a computer and actually complete an online form that would convey your information to our online cemetery database.

      All members should be ever mindful of our needs for "Alford" photographs.  I think Janice Smith, our photo archivists, is working up something for the next issue of the newsletter that will give members a much better appreciation for our AAFA photo collection.  It is awesome, but because of a variety of reasons has quietly resided in the background.  While surfing our site the other day I dropped by the photo gallery at the link below and noticed it had been updated in July 2012, but with no indication of how or to what extent.  I'm looking forward to hearing more about that.  But the key thing to remember is that Janice wants all Alford photos, and they are best sent in small bunches so you don't need lots of time to search for and sort them.  Send them as you stumble over them.  Send original photos to AAFA POB 1297, Florissant, MO 63031-1297 and let us know if you want the originals returned.  If you want to scan and send digital images then you need instructions from John and Janice Smith.  Let us know and they will get back to you.

      I could go on and on about the help folks could give AAFA without devoting a lot of time and attention to the task, but I'll leave something for some others.

      Perhaps most important of all is just to send general feedback as to what you would like to see AAFA doing that it is not doing, and when you see us doing something that appears to be stupid to you - let us know.   I always heard it was ok to be stupid about something once - but never the 2nd time.   We like opinions.

      Thanks again for your comments.