556FW: Re: [aafa-olnl] REVISING Newsletter Sent Yesterday

  • gilalford@rocketmail.com
    Jun 3, 2013
      Hi Frieda,

      It was good to hear from you again. Notice that I am responding through About_Alfords. You did not come to me that way but we prefer that members NOT use the aafa-olnl-owner address for responses as it goes to some of the leadership that would not be at all interested. I would prefer that most of my personal email, that which pertains to AAFA or Alfords actually come to me via About_Alfords where others who might be interested can get in on any possible action. As we proceed I'll be using this technique to redirect some things.

      Would you believe that I have 14 emails that were spawned in one way or another from the newsletter. I'm still waiting for some input for the revision which I have already tested and find to be a great improvement. There will also be something new added - a financial page.

      I think this coming Raleigh NC meeting is going to become one of the most important we have ever had. I look forward to participating in anyway I can.

      I can see where you would feel something missing after having been to 8 meetings over a ten year period. You know__ you and granddaughter Laura became something of a tradition over those years. I well remember our visits at several of these meeting.

      Speaking of Laura - Congratulations to her for graduation. I recently befriended her on Facebook. I'm doing this with several members to see if I can learn more about how AAFA can better use Facebook. I've downloaded apps and books but not making much progress. I have seen some non-personal Facebook pages that show me there is some hope for AAFA to do this. Like the National Archives at I think www.nara.gov

      Hey, we are not old yet. We were both born the same year but I have plans that extend on until I'm 97, which is age my father died. Speaking of slowing down-- I guess you don't go stomping around in Kansas cemeteries anymore. I'll bet there could be some mutual assistance if you would go visit the AAFA Kansas cemetery page. Several of us have done some work there but I have no feel for the overall status as of now. Why don't you go explore via http://www.alfordassociation.org/CEMETERY/ks_cem.html
      While you are there you can make corrections and additions, move graves around, etc.

      I remember sister Augusta AAFA #1176, very well. It is ironic that the NC meeting is coming up next as it was the 2001 meeting in Raleigh where I met Augusta. She was a lot of fun. I wonder -- did by chance she get named "Augusta" because she was born in August? Mary and I named our first daughter "April" because she was born in April and we could think of nothing else. Second daughter screwed our naming up though when she was also born in April two years later -- in Germany. With a little luck she could have been May or June.

      Give Laura a hug for me and if you get down to Yuma do so with Augusta and give her our love.

      WE ARE FAMILY!!

      Let's all of us stay in touch.

      Gil Alford

      --- In About_Alfords@yahoogroups.com, gilalford@... wrote:

> [...]