555FW: Re: [aafa-olnl] REVISING Newsletter Sent Yesterday

  • gilalford@rocketmail.com
    Jun 3, 2013

      -------- Begin forwarded message --------
      Subject: Re: [aafa-olnl] REVISING Newsletter Sent Yesterday
      Date: 6/2/13 10:03:46 PM
      From: Fschooly@...
      To: aafa-olnl-owner@yahoogroups.com

      Gil---- I forgive you for any mess you  make--always good to hear from you.  I would dearly love to attend the  Raleigh meeting  --alas and alack--old age is taking it's toll with me so  will not try to attend.    My sister is still with us --she will be 99  the 21st of August.  Is now in a nursing home in Yuma, AZ--was the closest  long term care facility to her home in California.

      Love to hear  from  you

      Frieda

      In a message dated 6/1/2013 1:01:41 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  gilalford@... writes:
        Hi Again,

      I want to tell you that I am revising the newsletter that    I sent to you yesterday - May 31, and I apologize for having sent you such a    mess. I did so want to make a good impression with this first    issue.

      When I "finished" it I printed in Word Perfect and it checked    out just fine. I pasted a copy in the Yahoo Groups RTF format and checked it    on the monitor and the first screen looked OK. I should have looked further,    but weather was threatening and I needed to move on. We were under a tornado    watch. I sent it and when I got my email copy I printed, took it out of my    printer and headed upstairs and out of the basement with a copy in my    upstairs-downstairs "diddy bag."

      After supper I looked at the printout    and was not at all pleased in the way the font size converted. It looked worse    when printed and was only so - so when I viewed it on my    Kindle-Fire.

      About that time the baseball game between Pam's San    Francisco Giants and my St. Louis Cardinals was postponed from 7:00 last night    until 12:15 today. We are winning as I speak. Before the evening was over we    had tornados touch down all around the area and were disposed to get back in    the basement for a while.

      Just as we got back upstairs we had a call    from my cousin, Sally Stoewer in Baton Rouge, LA wanting to know if we were    OK. She had seen Florissant mentioned on the news. While visiting she asked    about the AAFA meeting this year and advised me that she and Dick planned to    be there. They volunteer for Red Cross work and earlier had expected not to be    available, but she is now suffering with muscular degeneration, has sight    problems and the Red Cross will not let them work.

      Sometime earlier I    had invited J.J. Johnson, AAFA #1189, to come to the meeting as I had noted he    was born in North Carolina. Yesterday evening I had an email from him advising    that he and his son, and research partner, might make it.

      I do hope you    are planning to make it to Raleigh. I've gotten some suggestions as to how I    may make an appearance and we are working on that.

      I was sorry to see    that one of you had already taking my suggestion to unsubscribe from the    olnl.

      I'm making some minor changes in the newsletter that should yield    significant improvement, along with a couple boo boo corrections and with the    help of some of the members -- hopefully - some upgrade or enhancement and    will get you something better in a few days. It will be a pdf attachment    allowing me to check out our planned format change.

      In the meantime -    if you are not a subscriber to About_Alfords why don't you do it now. I plan    to lead discussions there over the next month dealing with some of the    subjects mentioned in the newsletter. Send your email to About_Alfords-subscribe@....

      Again...    forgive the mess I sent you yesterday.

      Gil Alford, AAFA Corresponding    Secretary & Interim Newsletter Editor

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic