551RE: [About_Alfords] I'm Interim Editor of AAFA Monthly OnLine Newsletter

  • ej northrop
    May 31, 2013

      Looks like mine are in the same line if you go back a number of generations.

      http://www.damnedcomputer.com/genealogy/nalvordstone.html  (scroll down about ¼ way down)

      Only the recent info is original.  The rest are (hopefully)appropriate copy and paste from rootsweb.

      A few thing that might be of assistance – Some of the Northhampton MA group moved around quite a bit.  My Elisha/Elias was born Northhampton, moved to Durham CT area, may have spent a few years in Guilford, CT and finally settled in Fairfield, CT.

      It appears that a number of the descendants stayed in some kind of contact with cousins over many years.  This surprised me until I realized that he was around and seemingly active until his death in 1776 so it  makes more sense that my gggg grandfather, John Alvord, would have some contact with others since his father (my ggggg grandfather Elisha) was alive and in the same town until the birth of his two grandchildren (John II and David).  I know my ggg grandfather moved to Litchfield county, CT and  I haven’t done all the research, but neighbors in Fairfield just a few farms away started Fairfield and two other towns in Vermont and I suspect some NY near CT border Alvords who were early Salina, NY settlers were related as well.

      So don’t be surprised if you see some of them hopping around a bit.  You may also find you have a collection of usual suspects as they all keep marrying into the same group of families.

      Good luck,

      Beth