File - Current Activities at Abhyasa Ashram

  • AbhyasaAshram@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 47 , Sep 1, 2013
      For your convenience this announcement is scheduled to be automatically published every 2 weeks. The most important part is the link to the calendar, which is updated regularly so as to most always be accurate.

      CALENDAR (through Meetup.com):
      http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/events/calendar/
      (This is our main calendar and the best place to check regularly.)

      Please visit the website for descriptions of daily, weekly, monthly, and special programs. Revisions and cancellations are also listed there.
      http://abhyasaashram.org

      LOCATION:
      Abhyasa Ashram
      505 Hooper Drive NW
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32548
      PHONE: 850-226-6035
      DIRECTIONS:
      https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/connections/maps-directions

      FOUR SYSTEMATIC MEDITATION TIMES PER DAY:
      In the tradition of the Himalayan masters, Yoga is seen as a systematic process wherein we systematically deal with all levels of our being, such that body and breath practices are an integral part of, and are intended to lead to meditation. Therefore our schedule of daily practice times is designed so that you have time for Asanas/Postures and Pranayama/Breath before and leading into meditation.

      6:30-7:30am: MEDITATION #1
      ..6:30-6:35: Daily Mantras
      ..6:35-7:00: Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama
      ..7:00-7:30: Meditation

      11:30-12:30pm: MEDITATION #2
      ..11:30-12:00am: Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama
      ..12:00am-12:30pm: Meditation

      5:30-6:30pm: MEDITATION #3
      ..5:30-6:00pm: Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama
      ..6:00-6:30pm: Meditation

      9:00-9:30PM: MEDITATION #4
      ..9:00-9:05: Daily Mantras
      ..9:05-9:15: Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama
      ..9:15-9:30: Meditation

      PRIVATE TIME:
      Please contact me to arrange private time to talk about life, meditation practices, or to receive individualized training, such as with meditation or breathing techniques.

      FEES:
      There are no fees for classes, other gatherings, or personal meetings. Donations from the heart are gratefully appreciated, but are never solicited. The ashram is able to exist because of the donations of its participants

      SPEAKING AND FACILITATING:
      If you'd like me to facilitate gatherings at your location (near the Fort Walton Beach, Florida area), please let me know. I'm flexible and informal about this. There are also no fees for this.

      CALENDAR (through Meetup.com):
      http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/events/calendar/

      BIO:
      http://www.swamij.com/swamijnaneshvara.htm

      MY YouTube VIDEOS:
      http://www.youtube.com/yogabindu

      ABHYASA ASHRAM:
      Abhyasa Ashram is a meditation center which practices universal meditation as taught by the ancient lineage of yogis of the cave monasteries of the Himalayas. The tradition has no name, and is not affiliated with any of the institutions or religions of the plains of India or other countries surrounding the Himalayas, although individual meditators may personally align themselves with a wide variety of religions or institutions. We may refer to the tradition as "the tradition of the Himalayan masters" or "the Himalayan tradition", but that is for the sake of convenience, and is not a style or brand name as is popular these days.

      The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." The hermitage or home of a swami or other person serving people in their efforts towards inner peace and spiritual awakening is called an Ashram. Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location (especially given its tiny size), it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      CENTER FOR NON-DUALISM
      Our Center for Non-Dualism has gatherings each Sunday morning. Details about the Center, the gatherings, location, and times are on the website:
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/
      CALENDAR FOR CENTER FOR NON-DUALISM:
      http://www.meetup.com/center-for-nondualism/#calendar

      PURPOSE OF OUR ABHYASA ASHRAM COMMUNITY:

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga."

      Yoga is traditionally taught, practiced and learned through a close relationship between the individual mentor and mentee, teacher and student, in a community of noble friends, known as kalyana-mitra. Guru is a force-field driven by grace, a stream of knowledge of direct experience which, though it may operate through a person, is itself not a person.

      GOAL OF PRACTICES:

      The goal of our sadhana or practices is the highest Joy that comes from the Realization in direct experience of the center of consciousness, the Self, the Atman or Purusha, which is one and the same with the Absolute Reality.

      This Self-Realization comes through Yoga meditation of the Yoga Sutras, the contemplative insight of Advaita Vedanta, and the intense devotion of Samaya Sri Vidya Tantra, the three of which complement one another like fingers on a hand.

      We employ the classical approaches of Raja, Jnana, Karma, and Bhakti Yoga, as well as Hatha, Kriya, Kundalini, Laya, Mantra, Nada, Siddha, and Tantra Yoga. Meditation, contemplation, mantra and prayer finally converge into a unified force directed towards the final stage, piercing the pearl of wisdom called bindu, leading to the Absolute.

      The activities are mostly in Fort Walton Beach, Florida or nearby communities. Most are at Abhyasa Ashram or are graciously sponsored by other people at different locations. While I seldom travel, there are a handful of other activities in other cities. Please contact me if you have any questions or requests.
    • AbhyasaAshram@yahoogroups.com
      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 13 1:02 AM
        Abhyasa Ashram newsletter:

        Subscribe at http://eepurl.com/Hrl1H
        Past issues at: http://alturl.com/w45vb

[...]

        Abhyasa Ashram is a monastery and meditation center which practices universal meditation as taught by the ancient lineage of yogis of the cave monasteries of the Himalayas. The tradition has no name, and is not affiliated with any of the institutions or religions of the plains of India or other countries surrounding the Himalayas, although individual meditators may personally align themselves with a wide variety of religions or institutions. We may refer to the tradition as "the tradition of the Himalayan masters" or "the Himalayan tradition", but that is for the sake of convenience, and is not a style or brand name as is popular these days.