Abhyasa Ashram Activities update - JAN 21, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2013
      Local activities, online meetings and other programs
      Update: January 21, 2013

      505 Hooper Drive NW

      ABHYASA ASHRAM NEWSLETTER

      Abhyasa Ashram is a meditation center which practices universal meditation as taught by the ancient lineage of yogis of the cave monasteries of the Himalayas, especially as transmitted through Swami Rama. The tradition has no name, and is not affiliated with any of the institutions or religions of the plains of India or other countries surrounding the Himalayas, although individual meditators may personally align themselves with a wide variety of religions or institutions. We may refer to the tradition as "the tradition of the Himalayan masters" or "the Himalayan tradition", but that is for the sake of convenience, and is not a style or brand name as is popular these days. Our methods of meditation and contemplation involve systematic awareness of all levels of our being, including actions/senses, body, breath, mind, finally resting in the awareness of the Self (atman) which is one with the universal Self (brahman). At Abhyasa Ashram we have aspirant training, not teacher training. Our approach to training is mostly individual or group coaching, as Yoga meditation and contemplation has been traditionally taught for thousands of years. Aspirants with various degrees of experience naturally teach others within the context of their own lives and modes of service.

      http://abhyasaashram.org

      **********************************
      NEW
      **********************************

      MON, Jan 21, 10:00am: Online open satsang. NEW. TODAY IS FIRST DAY. This timing set up mostly for the benefit of people in Europe, Middle East, Russia, and India.

      **********************************
      CURRENT EVENTS CALENDARS
      **********************************

      Details are at Meetup-dot-com calendar (our main calendar):
      http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/events/calendar/

      Times below are central time in US (same as Chicago). Unless otherwise specified (such as "Online") all activities are at Abhyasa Ashram in Florida USA.

      -------------------------------------

      MON, Jan 21, 10:00am: Online open satsang. NEW. TODAY IS FIRST DAY. This timing set up mostly for the benefit of people in Europe, Middle East, Russia, and India.
      MON, Jan 21, 3:00pm: Bhagavad Gita discussion (ashram).

      TUE, Jan 22, 9:30am: Panchadasi discussion (ashram); also online.
      TUE, Jan 22, 7:30pm; Online open satsang in Spanish with Zulema translating for Swami Jnaneshvara

      WED, Jan 23, 12:30pm: Tripura Rahasya discussion (ashram)

      FRI, Jan 25, 6:30pm: Open community, fellowship, satsang at the ashram (if people show up no later than 6:30).

      SAT, Jan 26, 8:30am: Online: Summary of Practices
      SAT, Jan 26, 9:30am: Open coaching on any methods (see Summary of Practices)
      SAT, Jan 26, 7:30pm: Online: Open discussion (bring questions, topics)

      SUN, Jan 27, 9:00am: Deep Relaxation: Sohum Kriya
      SUN, Jan 27, 10:00am: Center for Nondualism: ("to be announced")
      SUN, Jan 27, 4:00pm: Online: Bhagavad Gita

      MON, Jan 28, 3:00pm: Bhagavad Gita discussion (ashram).

      NOTE: If you are in the local area, you are welcome to sit in on the online discussions from here in the office of the ashram. Also, we sometimes transmit the local gatherings out through the online meeting service.

      Online login info is here:

      UPCOMING:
      **********************************

      APRIL 2013: Tentative meditation retreat in or near Buenos Aires, Argentina

      SUMMER 2013: Satsang in New York City

      **********************************
      ONGOING:
      **********************************
      Weekend or week-long self-transformation meditation retreats at the ashram for Members and Regular Participants of the ashram (by registration; contact for registration)

      **********************************
      CALENDARS and CONNECTIONS:
      **********************************
      Abhyasa Ashram calendar - main calendar is through meetup.com:
      http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/#calendar

      Center for Nondualism calendar:
      http://www.meetup.com/center-for-nondualism/#calendar
      Website:
      http://centerfornondualism.org
      Facebook:
      https://www.facebook.com/swamij

      **********************************
      DAILY SCHEDULE (typical day; see calendar for complete schedules):
      **********************************
      5:00am: Walking (optional, weather permitting)
      6:00-6:30am: Quiet time, internal dialogue, contemplation

      6:30-7:30am: MEDITATION #1
      ..6:30-6:35am: Daily Mantras
      ..6:35-7:00am: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..7:00-7:30am: Silent Meditation

      8:00am: Breakfast; all are welcome
      9:30am: Time slot for videos, discussions, or personal coaching.
      10:30-11:30am: some days: Yoga Nidra and other practices.

      11:30am-12:30pm: MEDITATION #2
      ..11:00am-12:00pm: Time slot for guided prep for meditation when it is coached
      ..11:30am-12:00pm: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..12:00pm-12:30pm: Silent Meditation

      12:30pm: Lunch; all are welcome
      1:00pm: Time slot for videos, discussions, or personal coaching.

      5:30-6:30pm: MEDITATION #3
      ..5:00-5:30pm: Time slot for guided prep for meditation when it is coached
      ..5:30-6:00pm: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..6:00-6:30pm: Silent Meditation

      6:30pm: Dinner on days with evening program; all are welcome
      7:30pm: Time slot for videos, discussions, personal coaching, or online programs.

      9:00-9:30pm: MEDITATION #4
      ..9:00-9:05pm: Daily Mantras
      ..9:05-9:10pm: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Brief Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..9:10-9:30pm: Silent Meditation

      9:30pm: Walking (optional, weather permitting)

      The three time periods between the four meditations (mid-morning, afternoon, and evening) are for service work (karma yoga), individual coaching, group discussions at the ashram or online, videos, or personal time.

      Video, study, class, coaching, service, or personal
      Members and regular visitors to the ashram are welcome to stop by at other reasonable times to use the meditation hall. There is a CD player and copies of the Yoga Nidra and Basic Meditation CDs by Swami Jnaneshvara, as well as guided Om and Sohum Sushumna Kriya practices; you are welcome to use these.

      RENOVATION/REPAIRS: The water leak has been repaired; the leak was underground in the front yard, so the repair did not effect the building itself; costs were reasonable. The broken fan in the meditation room has been fixed by Greg Yancer. The roof is leaking again, and we will contact a roofer, probably a new roofer. We need to continue saving up donation money to totally replace the roof, which will cost around $35,000. We continue to explore putting ceiling fans in the dining room, classroom, and office. We continue exploring having the parking lot concrete repaired so that it drains without forming a pond.

      https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/connections/membership
      (membership through December 2013)

      LEARNING SITE: The learning site is now online at http://abhyasaonline.com . Outlines have been created for 25+ self-study courses. A little more info is here http://bit.ly/iktGmt. Let me know if you would like to participate, sending me your email, first and last name, city and country. If I will not recognize your name, please introduce yourself and let me know about your life and interests, and why you'd like to do this. You may keep in touch with me for clarification and coaching as you go through the self-study material.

      FEES and DONATIONS: A special thanks is extended to the people who financially support the ashram. We charge no dues or fees, and the ashram operates on the loving donations of its members and participants.

      We currently have several online discussions per week. Look here for details:

      Our approach to training is mostly individual, one-to-one as the way Yoga meditation and contemplation has been traditionally taught for thousands of years. Personal coaching is available by appointment most days at 9:30am or 2:30pm. Please call or write to schedule a time. We also have regular satsang gatherings, which are listed on the calendar.

      Members and regular participants may visit the ashram for meditation retreats, which most often are of great benefit in the regularity and depth of your practices at home. Contact me to discuss times and your specific activities.

      MEETUP CALENDAR (this is the main calendar for the Center for Nondualism):
      http://www.meetup.com/center-for-nondualism/events/calendar/