Abhyasa Ashram Activities update - AUG 8, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2012
      Local activities, online meetings and other programs
      Update: August 8, 2012

      505 Hooper Drive NW

      ABHYASA ASHRAM NEWSLETTER

      Abhyasa Ashram is a meditation center which practices universal meditation as taught by the ancient lineage of yogis of the cave monasteries of the Himalayas. The tradition has no name, and is not affiliated with any of the institutions or religions of the plains of India or other countries surrounding the Himalayas, although individual meditators may personally align themselves with a wide variety of religions or institutions. We may refer to the tradition as "the tradition of the Himalayan masters" or "the Himalayan tradition", but that is for the sake of convenience, and is not a style or brand name as is popular these days. At Abhyasa Ashram we have aspirant training, not teacher training. Aspirants with various degrees of experience naturally teach others within the context of their own lives and modes of service.

      **********************************
      CURRENT EVENTS CALENDARS
      **********************************
      Details are at Meetup-dot-com calendar (our main calendar):
      http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/events/calendar/

      Times below are central time in US (same as Chicago). Unless otherwise specified (such as "Online") all activities are at Abhyasa Ashram in Florida USA.

      See also the course site (http://abhyasaonline.com) for the discussion forums related to the topics below. Contact me if you want login info (please include your first and last name, city/country, and email address).

      FRI, Aug 10, 8:30am US CDST (3:30pm in Holland): Satsang with Tri (online in Dutch)
      FRI, Aug 10, 6:30pm: Open community, fellowship, satsang at the ashram (if people show up no later than 6:30)

      SAT, Aug 11, 8:30am: Online: Understanding and Practicing the Teachings of Swami Rama
      SAT, Aug 11, 9:30am: Open coaching on any methods (see Summary of Practices)
      SAT, Aug 11, 11:00am: Preparation for meditation (hatha yoga, relaxation and pranayama) guided by Tripurashakti, followed by silent meditation at 12:00am
      SAT, Aug 11, 7:30pm: Online: Samadhi by Swami Rama

      SUN, Aug 12, 9:00am: Deep Relaxation: Om Sushumna Kriya
      SUN, Aug 12, 10:00am: Center for Nondualism: ("Death")
      SUN, Aug 12, 4:00pm: Online: Bhagavad Gita suspended this week due to a program in Andalusia, Alabama

      MON, Aug 13, 4:00pm: Bhagavad Gita discussion (ashram)

      TUE, Aug 14, 9:30am: Panchadasi discussion (ashram)
      TUE, Aug 14, 7:30pm; Online open satsang in Spanish with Zulema translating for Swami Jnaneshvara

      WED, Aug 15, 11:00am: Tri's class cancelled today (She will be in Arizona). Regular prep and meditation will be 11:30-12:30.
      WED, Aug 15, 12:30pm: Tripura Rahasya discussion (ashram)

      FRI, Aug 17, 8:30am US CDST (3:30pm in Holland): Satsang with Tri (online in Dutch; cancelled this week due to Tri being in Arizona)
      FRI, Aug 17, 6:30pm: Open community, fellowship, satsang at the ashram (if people show up no later than 6:30)

      SAT, Aug 18, 8:30am: Online: Understanding and Practicing the Teachings of Swami Rama
      SAT, Aug 18, 9:30am: Open coaching on any methods (see Summary of Practices)
      SAT, Aug 18, 11:00am: Tri's class cancelled today (She will be in Arizona). Regular prep and meditation will be 11:30-12:30.
      SAT, Aug 18, 7:30pm: Online: Samadhi by Swami Rama

      SUN, Aug 19, 9:00am: Deep Relaxation: 30-minute guided meditation
      SUN, Aug 19, 10:00am: Center for Nondualism: ("topic to be announced")
      SUN, Aug 19, 4:00pm: Online: Bhagavad Gita

      MON, Aug 20, 4:00pm: Bhagavad Gita discussion (ashram)

      TUE, Aug 21, 9:30am: Panchadasi discussion (ashram)
      TUE, Aug 21, 7:30pm; Online open satsang in Spanish with Zulema translating for Swami Jnaneshvara

      WED, Aug 22, 11:30am: Preparation for meditation (hatha yoga, relaxation and pranayama) guided by June Enfinger, followed by silent meditation at 12:00am
      WED, Aug 22, 12:30pm: Tripura Rahasya discussion (ashram)

      THU, Aug 23 - SUN, Aug 26: Swami J in Washington D.C. (with Phillip and Candi Ellis)

      FRI, Aug 24, 8:30am US CDST (3:30pm in Holland): Satsang with Tri (online in Dutch)
      FRI, Aug 24, 6:30pm: Open community, fellowship, satsang at the ashram (if people show up no later than 6:30) (with Tri only this week)

      SAT, Aug 25, 8:30am: Online: Understanding and Practicing the Teachings of Swami Rama (With Tri while Swami Jnaneshvara is traveling)
      SAT, Aug 25, 9:30am: Open coaching on any methods (see Summary of Practices)
      SAT, Aug 25, 11:00am: Preparation for meditation (hatha yoga, relaxation and pranayama) guided by Tripurashakti, followed by silent meditation at 12:00am
      SAT, Aug 25, 7:30pm: Online: (cancelled this week due to Swami Jnaneshvara traveling)

      SUN, Aug 26, 9:00am: Deep Relaxation: Sohum Sushumna Kriya
      SUN, Aug 26, 10:00am: Center for Nondualism: ("topic to be announced")
      SUN, Aug 26, 4:00pm: Online: Bhagavad Gita (with Tri this week)

      MON, Aug 27, 4:00pm: Bhagavad Gita discussion (ashram)

      NOTE: If you are in the local area, you are welcome to sit in on the online discussions from here in the office of the ashram. Also, we sometimes transmit the local gatherings out through the online meeting service.

      Online login info is here:

      UPCOMING:
      **********************************
      OCT 3-12: Retreat and other satsang in Santiago, Chile; coordinated by Zulema Higueras

      NOV 4-25, 2012: Meditation retreat in India
      (Members and Regular Participants will continue some gatherings at Abhyasa Ashram during this time; please talk with one another about details.)

      **********************************
      ONGOING:
      **********************************
      Weekend or week-long self-transformation meditation retreats at the ashram for Members and Regular Participants of the ashram (by registration; contact for registration)

      **********************************
      CALENDARS and CONNECTIONS:
      **********************************
      Abhyasa Ashram calendar - main calendar is through meetup.com:
      http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/#calendar

      Center for Nondualism calendar:
      http://www.meetup.com/center-for-nondualism/#calendar
      Website:
      http://centerfornondualism.org
      Facebook:
      https://www.facebook.com/swamij

      **********************************
      DAILY SCHEDULE (typical day; see calendar for complete schedules):
      **********************************
      5:00am: Walking (optional, weather permitting)
      6:00-6:30am: Quiet time, internal dialogue, contemplation

      6:30-7:30am: MEDITATION #1
      ..6:30-6:35am: Daily Mantras
      ..6:35-7:00am: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..7:00-7:30am: Silent Meditation

      8:00am: Breakfast; all are welcome
      9:30am: Time slot for videos, discussions, or personal coaching.
      10:30-11:30am: some days: Yoga Nidra and other practices.

      11:30am-12:30pm: MEDITATION #2
      ..11:00am-12:00pm: Time slot for guided prep for meditation when it is coached
      ..11:30am-12:00pm: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..12:00pm-12:30pm: Silent Meditation

      12:30pm: Lunch; all are welcome
      1:00pm: Time slot for videos, discussions, or personal coaching.

      5:30-6:30pm: MEDITATION #3
      ..5:00-5:30pm: Time slot for guided prep for meditation when it is coached
      ..5:30-6:00pm: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..6:00-6:30pm: Silent Meditation

      6:30pm: Dinner on days with evening program; all are welcome
      7:30pm: Time slot for videos, discussions, personal coaching, or online programs.

      9:00-9:30pm: MEDITATION #4
      ..9:00-9:05pm: Daily Mantras
      ..9:05-9:10pm: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Brief Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..9:10-9:30pm: Silent Meditation

      9:30pm: Walking (optional, weather permitting)

      Members and regular visitors to the ashram are welcome to stop by at other reasonable times to use the meditation hall. There is a CD player and copies of the Yoga Nidra and Basic Meditation CDs by Swami Jnaneshvara, as well as guided Om and Sohum Sushumna Kriya practices; you are welcome to use these.

      RENOVATION/REPAIRS: The roof repairs seem to continue to hold, and not leak. We need to start saving up donation money to totally replace the roof, which will cost around $35,000. We continue to explore putting ceiling fans in the dining room, classroom, and office. Impact resistant (hurricane) windows have been ordered and will be installed in about a month; these are rated at 200mph impact and are also very good insulation both summer and winter. We are exploring having the parking lot concrete repaired so that it drains, without forming a pond.

      https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/connections/membership
      (membership through December 2012)

      LEARNING SITE: The learning site is now online at http://abhyasaonline.com . Outlines have been created for 25+ self-study courses. A little more info is here http://bit.ly/iktGmt. Let me know if you would like to participate, sending me your email, first and last name, city and country. If I will not recognize your name, please introduce yourself and let me know about your life and interests, and why you'd like to do this.

      FEES and DONATIONS: A special thanks is extended to the people who financially support the ashram. We charge no dues or fees, and the ashram operates on the loving donations of its members and participants.

      We currently have several online discussions per week. Look here for details:

      Our approach to training is mostly individual, one-to-one as the way Yoga meditation and contemplation has been traditionally taught for thousands of years. Personal coaching is available by appointment most days at 9:30am or 2:30pm. Please call or write to schedule a time. We also have regular satsang gatherings, which are listed on the calendar.

      Members and regular participants may visit the ashram for meditation retreats, which most often are of great benefit in the regularity and depth of your practices at home. Contact me to discuss times and your specific activities. The daily schedule is the same as our daily schedule in the Rishikesh, India retreats.

      MEETUP CALENDAR (this is the main calendar for the Center for Nondualism):
      http://www.meetup.com/center-for-nondualism/events/calendar/