Abhyasa Ashram Activities update - August 20, 2010

  • Swami J
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2010
      Update: August 19, 2010

      *****************

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga." The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location, it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      ACTIVITIES PAGE: https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/
      SWAMIJ.COM CALENDAR: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm

      We have closed on the purchase of a 4500 square foot building as home for the ashram (Abhyasa Ashram, Inc). It is in Fort Walton Beach just off Mary Esther Boulevard (behind Chili's restaurant). Address is: 505 Hooper Drive, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548.

      There is a "soft opening" (contrasted with "grand opening"), inauguration, commencement celebration on Saturday, August 21, 10:am-2:00pm to show everybody the new ashram home and what improvements are being planned for the building. Our regular morning meditation will be at 11:30-12:00 (please bring your favorite cushion, as we will not have a big supply of them yet).

      MEMBERSHIP: We have three levels of involvement in the ashram, which are described here:

      LOCAL ASHRAM ACTIVITIES
      (All times CST/CDST US)
      **********************************
      DAILY Silent Meditation (30 minutes): 11:30am and 6:00pm
      (If you are in another city, state or country, please join us from your home if you are free to do so at these times.) When I am traveling the meditation room will generally be opened by Kathleen Gibson. She will also facilitate satsangs such as Bhagavad Gita, Wednesday Noon, first Friday and third Saturday. Effective Sunday, August 22 we will start to have the evening meditation at the new ashram (505 Hooper Dr., FWB). Open hatha and pranayama 5:30pm - 6:00pm and silent meditation 6:00pm - 6:30pm. We will continue to have morning meditation at the townhouse most days, 11:30-12:00.

      SAT, AUG 21, 10:00am - 2:00pm: 3rd Saturday Satsang preempted by a "soft opening" (contrasted with "grand opening"), inauguration, commencement celebration on to show everybody the new ashram home and what improvements are being planned for the building. Our regular morning meditation will be at 11:30-12:00 (please bring your favorite cushion, as we will not yet have a big supply of them yet).
      SAT, AUG 21, 6:30pm: Vegetarian pot luck (3rd Sat) (townhouse, after 6:00pm meditation)
      SAT, AUG 21, 7:00pm: Movie ("Anger Management") and popcorn (at the townhouse)

      MON, AUG 23: Effective Sunday, August 22 we will start to have the evening meditation at the new ashram (505 Hooper Dr., FWB). Open hatha and pranayama 5:30-6:00 and silent meditation 6:00-6:30. We will continue to have morning meditation at the townhouse most days.
      MON, AUG 23, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala (at the new ashram)
      WED, AUG 25, 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (at the new ashram; 11:30 meditation and 11:00 practice time will be at the new ashram)
      FRI, AUG 27, 7:00pm: Drumming and Music (bring any instruments) (at the new ashram)

      MON, AUG 30, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita (at the 505 Hooper ashram), followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 1, 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (at the new ashram; 11:30 meditation and 11:00 practice time will be at the new ashram)
      FRI, SEP 3, 6:30pm: First Friday Yoga Sutras and discussion

      MON, SEP 6, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita (at the 505 Hooper ashram), followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 8, 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (at the new ashram; 11:30 meditation and 11:00 practice time will be at the new ashram)
      FRI, SEP 10, 7:00pm, Mantra Mela (at the new ashram)

      MON, SEP 13, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita (at the 505 Hooper ashram), followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 15, 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (at the new ashram; 11:30 meditation and 11:00 practice time will be at the new ashram)
      SAT, SEP 18, 6:30pm Vegetarian Pot luck (at the new ashram)
      SAT, SEP 18, 7:00pm Movie ("Inner Peace in a Troubled World") and popcorn (at the new ashram)

      MON, SEP 20, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita (at the 505 Hooper ashram), followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 22, 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (at the new ashram; 11:30 meditation and 11:00 practice time will be at the new ashram)
      FRI, SEP 24, 7:00pm, Drumming and Music (bring any instruments) (at the new ashram)

      MON, SEP 27, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita (at the 505 Hooper ashram), followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 29, 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (at the 505 Hooper ashram; 11:30 meditation and 11:00 practice time will be at the 505 Hooper ashram)
      FRI, OCT 1, 7:00pm, First Friday Yoga Sutras and discussion (at the new ashram)

      FEBRUARY in Florida (February 2011):
      Daily discussions and meditations
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/feb-in-florida.htm

      OCT 30, 2010: Overnight meditation retreat at Ramada on Okaloosa Island. Details will be announced in the newsletter.

      **********************************
      ONLINE DISCUSSION / SATSANG
      **********************************
      Times are CST/CDST US
      WED, 9:00pm, Swami Rama book reviews
      SAT, 8:30am, Satsang and Discussion
      SAT, 9:00pm, Readings Satsang and Discussion
      SUN, 9:00pm, Bhagavad Gita Discussion
      EXCEPTIONS: When Swami Jnaneshvara is traveling, then either Kathleen or Tripurashakti will open the meetings.

      SCHEDULE and DETAILS: http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      (This page is also linked on the home page of SwamiJ.com)

      We are exploring alternatives of service providers for the online meetings. Please see the link above for the latest info.

      **********************************
      RETREATS IN INDIA:

      OTHER PROGRAMS (Details TBA)
      **********************************
      August/September 2010: Pittsburgh. Dates will be posted soon.
      September 16-20, 2010: New York City (Write to me for contact information of the people in New York who are sponsoring the visit, or directly contact one of the circle of people in New York if you are connected with the satsang group there.)
      October 1-3, 2010: East Aurora, New York (Write to me and I'll pass on contact information for the sponsor of the visit.)
      October 12-24, 2010: Santiago, Chile
      November 2010: Rishikesh, India
      April 2011: Sydney Australia (and possibly Bali), sponsored by:
      http://www.yogacoach.com/

      Every Sunday at:
      Brooks Beal Center
      100 Beal Parkway NW
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32547

      *****************

      SUNDAY Program:
      9:30-10:30 am: Interactive Program
      10:30-11:00 am: Fellowship
      11:00-12:00 am: Main Program; speaker, guided meditation, inspirational reading
      12:00-12:30 pm: Fellowship

      *****************

      SWAMI JNANESHVARA upcoming Center participation:

      AUG 29, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      SEP 12, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      SEP 26, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      OCT 10, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      OCT 31, 11:00: Speaker for main program

      *****************

      4th ANNUAL CONFERENCE and RETREAT:
      Joyously Living Nondualism
      February 17-20, 2011

      ARTICLES:

      Source of Inspiration on Learning, Teaching, and Training
http://www.swamij.com/inspiration.htm

      Swami Rama has suggested that the teachings must be put "in as simple a manner as possible," and that "the presentation should be understandable and beneficial to all." He suggests that, "balance can be found by bringing together the two great forces of spirituality and science," and that "problems can be solved by creating harmony between realism and idealism."

      *****************

      REFLECTIONS:

      Our Himalayan tradition, though a tradition of Shankara, is purely ascetic, and is practiced in the Himalayan caves rather than being related with institutions established in the plains of India. ~Swami Rama (describing the tradition of the Himalayan masters)

      PODCASTS:
      Archive of audio podcasts:
      http://www.swamij.com/podcast.htm

      YOUTUBE:
      Archives of my videos on YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/yogabindu
      http://www.youtube.com/swamijb
      Someone has also anonymously put 126 short videos of Swami Rama's lectures on
      internet:
      http://www.youtube.com/swamiramahimalayas

      CONNECTIONS
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/swamij