Abhyasa Ashram Activities update - August 3, 2010

  • Swami J
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2010
      Update: August 3, 2010

      *****************

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga." The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location, it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      Calendar: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm

      We are now under contract for the purchase of a 4500 square foot building as home for the ashram (Abhyasa Ashram, Inc.) with closing anticipated by end of August. It is in Fort Walton Beach just off Mary Esther Boulevard. It will have multiple classrooms (including a 1000 sq ft hatha, meditation and multi-purpose room), a book store, large kitchen and dining room, library, and ample office space. We have met with the City of Fort Walton Beach regarding zoning and have received approval of the location for an ashram. On Monday, July 2, the due diligence inspections of the property were started. A qualified roofer personally known by David Thomas was on site and is to give us a written report in two days.

      Ashram Membership: We have three levels of involvement in the ashram, which are described here:

      LOCAL ASHRAM ACTIVITIES
      (All times CST/CDST US)
      **********************************
      DAILY Silent Meditation (30 minutes): 11:30am and 6:00pm
      (If you are in another city, state or country, please join us from your home if you are free to do so at these times.) When I am traveling the meditation room will generally be opened by Kathleen Gibson. She will also facilitate satsangs such as Bhagavad Gita, Wednesday Noon, first Friday and third Saturday/

      WED, AUG 4, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, AUG 6, 6:30pm: First Friday Yoga Sutras and discussion
      SAT, AUG 7, 7:00pm: Om chanting

      MON, AUG 9, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, AUG 11, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, AUG 13, 7:00pm: Mantra Mela

      MON, AUG 16, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, AUG 18, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      SAT, AUG 21, 10:00am: 3rd Saturday Satsang
      SAT, AUG 21, 6:30pm: Vegetarian pot luck
      SAT, AUG 21, 7:00pm: Movie ("Anger Management") and popcorn

      MON, AUG 23, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, AUG 25, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, AUG 27, 7:00pm: Drumming and Music (bring any instruments)

      MON, AUG 30, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 1, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, SEP 3, 6:30pm: First Friday Yoga Sutras and discussion

      MON, SEP 6, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 8, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, SEP 10, 7:00pm, Mantra Mela

      MON, SEP 13, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 15, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      SAT, SEP 18, 6:30pm Vegetarian Pot luck
      SAT, SEP 18, 7:00pm Movie ("Inner Peace in a Troubled World") and popcorn

      MON, SEP 20, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 22, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, SEP 24, 7:00pm, Drumming and Music (bring any instruments)

      FEBRUARY in Florida (February 2011):
      Daily discussions and meditations
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/feb-in-florida.htm

      OCT 30, 2010: Overnight meditation retreat at Ramada on Okaloosa Island. Details will be announced in the newsletter.

      **********************************
      ONLINE DISCUSSION / SATSANG
      **********************************
      Times are CST/CDST US
      WED, 9:00pm, Swami Rama book reviews
      SAT, 8:30am, Satsang and Discussion
      SAT, 9:00pm, Readings Satsang and Discussion
      SUN, 9:00pm, Bhagavad Gita Discussion
      EXCEPTIONS: When Swami Jnaneshvara is traveling, then either Kathleen or Tripurashakti will open the meetings.

      SCHEDULE and DETAILS: http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      (This page is also linked on the home page of SwamiJ.com)

      We have been using gotomeeting.com for our gatherings, but it has a limit of 15 participants and 1 organizer. Because we have been reaching that level, I "upgraded" to gotowebminar.com (same company), which accommodates up to 100 participants. Please go to the meetings link (above) for information about which service we are using on a particular day.

      **********************************
      RETREATS IN INDIA:

      OTHER PROGRAMS (Details TBA)
      **********************************
      September 16-20, 2010: New York City (Write to me for contact information of the people in New York who are sponsoring the visit, or directly contact one of the circle of people in New York if you are connected with the satsang group there.)
      October 1-3, 2010: East Aurora, New York (Write to me and I'll pass on contact information for the sponsor of the visit.)
      October 12-24, 2010: Santiago, Chile
      November 2010: Rishikesh, India
      April 2011: Sydney Australia (and possibly Bali), sponsored by:
      http://www.yogacoach.com/

      Every Sunday at:
      Brooks Beal Center
      100 Beal Parkway NW
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32547

      *****************

      SUNDAY Program:
      9:30-10:30 am: Interactive Program
      10:30-11:00 am: Fellowship
      11:00-12:00 am: Main Program; speaker, guided meditation, inspirational reading
      12:00-12:30 pm: Fellowship

      *****************

      SWAMI JNANESHVARA upcoming Center participation:

      AUG 1, 9:30: Speaker for main program
      AUG 8, 11:00: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      AUG 15, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      AUG 29, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      SEP 12, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      SEP 26, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      OCT 10, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      OCT 31, 11:00: Speaker for main program

      *****************

      4th ANNUAL CONFERENCE and RETREAT:
      Joyously Living Nondualism
      February 17-20, 2011

      ARTICLES:

      Mindfulness and Concentration
      http://www.swamij.com/mindfulnessconcentration.htm

      It is very common for teachers of meditation to describe one of two general types of meditation, and to recommend one as being superior to the other. Concentration: In this approach, one intentionally focuses the attention on only one object, such as breath, mantra, a chakra center, or an internally visualized image. Mindfulness: In this approach, one does not focus the mind on one object, but rather observes the whole range of passing thoughts, emotions, sensations, or images. Students of meditation often find themselves confused by having to decide which is best, having to practice only one or the other of mindfulness or concentration. To cause further confusion, mindfulness is often described as coming from one religion or tradition, while concentration from another religion or tradition.

      *****************

      REFLECTIONS:

      NEED NEW

      What is more important than where we are standing on the path is the direction we are looking.

      PODCASTS:
      Archive of audio podcasts:
      http://www.swamij.com/podcast.htm

      YOUTUBE:
      Archives of my videos on YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/yogabindu
      http://www.youtube.com/swamijb
      Someone has also anonymously put 126 short videos of Swami Rama's lectures on
      internet:
      http://www.youtube.com/swamiramahimalayas

      CONNECTIONS
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/swamij