Activities update: December 10, 2009

  • Swami J
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2009

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga." The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." The hermitage or home of a swami or other person serving people in their efforts towards inner peace and spiritual awakening is called an Ashram. Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location, it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      LOCAL ACTIVITIES
      Daily Silent Meditation (30 minutes): 11:30am and 6:00pm
      DEC 10, THU, 7:OOpm: Videos of Swami Rama lectures
      DEC 11, FRI, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (usually WED)
      DEC 11, FRI, 7:00pm: First Friday gathering
      DEC 14, MON, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita
      DEC 14, MON, 7:00pm: Masala Monday
      DEC 17, WED, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      DEC 18, THU, 7:00pm: Videos of Swami Rama lectures
      Calendar: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm

      ONLINE MEETINGS
      Regular online meetings, reviewing articles from SwamiJ.com and other sources, along with Q&A on general topics
      Schedule and details: http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      Usually several times per week unless I am traveling and have no internet access
      Thursday, December 10, 2009, 9:00pm
      Open discussion.
      Meeting Link:
      https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/565047659

      Friday, December 11, 2009, 10:00pm
      Open discussion.
      Meeting Link:
      https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/565047659

      Saturday, December 12, 8:30am
      Meeting Link:
      https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/565047659

      Saturday, December 12, 10:00pm
      Meeting Link:
      https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/565047659

      RETREATS IN INDIA:
      November 15 - December 5, 2010

      A Community for Non-Dual Religion, Yoga, and Philosophy
      Providing a "Sunday Alternative"
      Every Sunday at: Brooks Beal Center
      100 Beal Parkway NW
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32547
      9:30-10:30 am: Interactive Program
      10:30-11:00 am: Fellowship
      11:00-12:00 am: Main Program; speaker, guided meditation, inspirational reading
      12:00-12:30 pm: Fellowship

      Newsletter:

      Annual Conference and Retreat:
      Transcending Fear, the Greatest Obstacle to Nondual Realization
      February 25-28, 2010

      Swami Jnaneshvara upcoming participation:
      December 13, 11:00am: Speaker in main program
      December 21, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion

      ARTICLES:
      Frequently Asked Questions from SwamiJ.com
      http://www.swamij.com/faq.htm

      REFLECTIONS:
      Judge each day not by the harvest you reap,
      nor by the seeds that you plant,
      but by the stillness of your mind in meditation.

      PODCASTS:
      Archive of audio podcasts:
      http://www.swamij.com/podcast.htm

      YOUTUBE: