Current Activities

  • Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2008
      ABHYASA ASHRAM:
      The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing
      to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady,
      undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin
      foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of
      non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is
      "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." The hermitage or home of
      a swami or other person serving people in their efforts towards inner
      peace and spiritual awakening is called an Ashram. Thus, our community
      of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram.
      More than any physical location (especially given its tiny size), it
      is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      CURRENT ACTIVITIES:
      (Mostly Fort Walton Beach, Florida area)

      MOST DAYS, 11:30 am - 12:00 pm
      Silent Meditation; satsang after.

      Satsang means coming together in truth.
      sat=truth; sanga=company

      MOST DAYS, 6:00 pm - 6:30 pm
      Silent Meditation; satsang before and after meditation

      FIRST FRIDAY, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
      Satsang, topic discussion, tea and food. Please suggest a topic or a
      question either directly from your readings and practices from the
      Yoga Sutras, or that can be related to the Yoga Sutras in our
      discussions. These are informal gatherings, which have been happening
      monthly since 2001. They are usually quite fun and informative.
      Sometimes there are only a few people; other times it's a bit crowded.

      SATURDAY (+2), 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
      On the Saturday that is two weekends after the first Friday (15 days
      after the first Friday) there is satsang, topic discussion,
      meditation, food/prasad. Please bring topic questions from sources
      such as Yoga Sutras, Upanishads, books by Swami Rama, or articles from
      SwamiJ.com. (This generally falls on the third Saturday of the month,
      but sometimes falls on the fourth Saturday)

      PRIVATE TIME:
      Please contact me to arrange private time to talk about life,
      meditation practices, or to receive individualized training, such as
      with meditation or breathing techniques.

      FEES:
      There are no fees for classes, other gatherings, or personal meetings.
      Donations from the heart are gratefully appreciated, but are never
      solicited.

      SPEAKING AND FACILITATING:
      If you'd like me to facilitate gatherings at your location (near the
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida area), please let me know. I'm flexible and
      informal about this. There are also no fees for this.

      CALENDAR:
      Please visit the website for the complete calendar for descriptions.
      Revisions and cancellations are also listed there.
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm

      DIRECTIONS:
      Please email or call for directions (850-796-3115).

      BIO:
      http://www.swamij.com/swamijnaneshvara.htm

      MY YouTube VIDEOS:
      http://www.youtube.com/yogabindu

      CENTER FOR NON-DUALISM
      Our Center for Non-Dualism has gatherings each Sunday morning. Details
      about the Center, the gatherings, location, and times are on the website:
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/

      PURPOSE OF OUR ABHYASA ASHRAM COMMUNITY:

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training
      and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union
      with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being
      that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to
      remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga."

      Yoga is traditionally taught, practiced and learned through a close
      relationship between the individual mentor and mentee, teacher and
      student, in a community of noble friends, known as kalyana-mitra. Guru
      is a force-field driven by grace, a stream of knowledge of direct
      experience which, though it may operate through a person, is itself
      not a person.

      GOAL OF PRACTICES:

      The goal of our sadhana or practices is the highest Joy that comes
      from the Realization in direct experience of the center of
      consciousness, the Self, the Atman or Purusha, which is one and the
      same with the Absolute Reality.

      This Self-Realization comes through Yoga meditation of the Yoga
      Sutras, the contemplative insight of Advaita Vedanta, and the intense
      devotion of Samaya Sri Vidya Tantra, the three of which complement one
      another like fingers on a hand.

      We employ the classical approaches of Raja, Jnana, Karma, and Bhakti
      Yoga, as well as Hatha, Kriya, Kundalini, Laya, Mantra, Nada, Siddha,
      and Tantra Yoga. Meditation, contemplation, mantra and prayer finally
      converge into a unified force directed towards the final stage,
      piercing the pearl of wisdom called bindu, leading to the Absolute.

      The activities are mostly in Fort Walton Beach, Florida or nearby
      communities. Most are at Abhyasa Ashram or are graciously sponsored by
      other people at different locations. While I seldom travel, there are
      a handful of other activities in other cities. Please contact me if
      you have any questions or requests.