File - Current Activities

  • AbhyasaAshram@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2008
      The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." The hermitage or home of a swami or other person serving people in their efforts towards inner peace and spiritual awakening is called an Ashram. Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location (especially given its tiny size), it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      MOST DAYS, 11:30 am - 12:00 pm
      Silent Meditation; satsang after.

      Satsang means coming together in truth.
      sat=truth; sanga=company

      MOST DAYS, 6:00 pm - 6:30 pm
      Silent Meditation; satsang before and after meditation

      FIRST FRIDAY, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
      Satsang, topic discussion, tea and food. Please suggest a topic or a question either directly from your readings and practices from the Yoga Sutras, or that can be related to the Yoga Sutras in our discussions. These are informal gatherings, which have been happening monthly since 2001. They are usually quite fun and informative. Sometimes there are only a few people; other times it's a bit crowded.

      SATURDAY (+2), 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
      On the Saturday that is two weekends after the first Friday (15 days after the first Friday) there is satsang, topic discussion, meditation, food/prasad. Please bring topic questions from sources such as Yoga Sutras, Upanishads, books by Swami Rama, or articles from SwamiJ.com. (This generally falls on the third Saturday of the month, but sometimes falls on the fourth Saturday)

      Please contact me to arrange private time to talk about life, meditation practices, or to receive individualized training, such as with meditation or breathing techniques.

      There are no fees for classes, other gatherings, or personal meetings. Donations from the heart are gratefully appreciated, but are never solicited.

      If you'd like me to facilitate gatherings at your location, please let me know. I'm flexible and informal about this. There are also no fees for this.

      Please visit the website for the complete calendar for descriptions. Revisions and cancellations are also listed there.

      Please email or call for directions (850-796-3115).

      MY YouTube VIDEOS:

      Our Center for Non-Dualism has gatherings each Sunday morning. Details about the Center, the gatherings, location, and times are on the website:

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga."

      Yoga is traditionally taught, practiced and learned through a close relationship between the individual mentor and mentee, teacher and student, in a community of noble friends, known as kalyana-mitra. Guru is a force-field driven by grace, a stream of knowledge of direct experience which, though it may operate through a person, is itself not a person.

      The goal of our sadhana or practices is the highest Joy that comes from the Realization in direct experience of the center of consciousness, the Self, the Atman or Purusha, which is one and the same with the Absolute Reality.

      This Self-Realization comes through Yoga meditation of the Yoga Sutras, the contemplative insight of Advaita Vedanta, and the intense devotion of Samaya Sri Vidya Tantra, the three of which complement one another like fingers on a hand.

      We employ the classical approaches of Raja, Jnana, Karma, and Bhakti Yoga, as well as Hatha, Kriya, Kundalini, Laya, Mantra, Nada, Siddha, and Tantra Yoga. Meditation, contemplation, mantra and prayer finally converge into a unified force directed towards the final stage, piercing the pearl of wisdom called bindu, leading to the Absolute.

      The activities are mostly in Fort Walton Beach, Florida or nearby communities. Most are at Abhyasa Ashram or are graciously sponsored by other people at different locations. While I seldom travel, there are a handful of other activities in other cities. Please contact me if you have any questions or requests.