400AUGUST 16, 2013 - Abhyasa Ashram Activities update

    Aug 16, 2013
      Local activities, online meetings and other programs
      Update: August 16, 2013

      505 Hooper Drive NW

      ABHYASA ASHRAM NEWSLETTER

      Abhyasa Ashram is a monastery and meditation center which practices universal meditation as taught by the ancient lineage of yogis of the cave monasteries of the Himalayas, especially as transmitted through Swami Rama. The tradition has no name, and is not affiliated with any of the institutions or religions of the plains of India or other countries surrounding the Himalayas, although individual meditators may personally align themselves with a wide variety of religions or institutions. We may refer to the tradition as "the tradition of the Himalayan masters" or "the Himalayan tradition", but that is for the sake of convenience, and is not a style or brand name as is popular these days. Our methods of meditation and contemplation involve systematic awareness of all levels of our being, including actions/senses, body, breath, mind, finally resting in the awareness of the Self (atman) which is one with the universal Self (brahman). At Abhyasa Ashram we have aspirant training, not teacher training. Our approach to training is mostly individual or group coaching, as Yoga meditation and contemplation has been traditionally taught for thousands of years. Aspirants with various degrees of experience naturally teach others within the context of their own lives and modes of service.

      http://abhyasaashram.org

      **********************************
      SPECIAL CURRENT EVENTS
      **********************************

      Swami J and Ma Tri will be away from the ashram from Saturday, August 24 through Thursday, August 29.

      Ma Tri leaves for Netherlands on September 13 and will return to US mid-December.
      Swami J will visit Netherlands and Germany September 23 - October 10.

      **********************************
      CURRENT EVENTS CALENDARS
      **********************************

      Details are at Meetup-dot-com calendar (our main calendar):
      http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/events/calendar/

      Times below are central time in US (same as Chicago). Unless otherwise specified (such as "Online") all activities are at Abhyasa Ashram in Florida USA.

      -------------------------------------

      FRI, Aug 16, 9:00am: Om Kriya
      FRI, Aug 16, 12:00: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      FRI, Aug 16, 5:00pm: Guided Preparation with Ma Tri (Meditation @ 6:00)
      FRI, Aug 16, 6:30pm: Open community, fellowship, satsang at the ashram.

      SAT, Aug 17, 8:00am: Online: Inspired Thoughts of Swami Rama
      SAT, Aug 17, 9:00am: Yoga Nidra
      SAT, Aug 17, 12:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      SAT, Aug 17, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30pm)
      SAT, Aug 17, 7:30pm: Online: The Art of Joyful Living

      SUN, Aug 18, 9:00am: Deep Relaxation: 30-Minute Meditation
      SUN, Aug 18, 10:00am: Nondualism Satsang: ("You are the Architect of Your Life")
      SUN, Aug 18, 4:00pm: Online: Bhagavad Gita
      SUN, Aug 18, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30am)

      MON, Aug 19, 9:00am: Sohum Kriya
      MON, Aug 19, 10:00am: Online satsang: Life Here & Hereafter. This timing is mostly for the benefit of people in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Russia, and India, but is open to all.
      MON, Aug 19, 12:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      MON, Aug 19, 4:00pm: Bhagavad Gita discussion (ashram).

      TUE, Aug 20, 9:00am: Om Kriya
      TUE, Aug 20, 12:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      TUE, Aug 20, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30pm)
      TUE, Aug 20, 7:30pm; Online: Open satsang in Spanish with Zulema translating for Swami Jnaneshvara

      WED, Aug 21, 9:00am: Yoga Nidra
      WED, Aug 21, 11:00am: Guided Preparation with Ma Tri (Meditation @ 12:00)
      WED, Aug 21, 12:30pm: Wisdom of the Ancient Sages (Mundaka Upanishad) discussion (ashram).
      WED, Aug 21, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30pm)

      THU, Aug 22, 9:00am: Sohum Kriya
      THU, Aug 22, 12:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      THU, Aug 22, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30pm)

      FRI, Aug 23, 9:00am: Om Kriya
      FRI, Aug 23, 12:00: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      FRI, Aug 23, 5:00pm: Guided Preparation with Ma Tri (Meditation @ 6:00)
      FRI, Aug 23, 6:30pm: Open community, fellowship, satsang at the ashram.

      SAT, Aug 24 - THU, Aug 29: Swami J and Ma Tri will be away from the ashram.

      FRI, Aug 30, 9:00am: Om Kriya
      FRI, Aug 30, 12:00: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      FRI, Aug 30, 5:00pm: Guided Preparation with Ma Tri (Meditation @ 6:00)
      FRI, Aug 30, 6:30pm: Open community, fellowship, satsang at the ashram.

      SAT, Aug 31, 8:00am: Online: Inspired Thoughts of Swami Rama
      SAT, Aug 31, 9:00am: Yoga Nidra
      SAT, Aug 31, 12:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      SAT, Aug 31, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30pm)
      SAT, Aug 31, 7:30pm: Online: The Art of Joyful Living

      SUN, Sep 1, 9:00am: Deep Relaxation: Yoga Nidra
      SUN, Sep 1, 10:00am: Nondualism Satsang: ("to be announced")
      SUN, Sep 1, 4:00pm: Online: Bhagavad Gita
      SUN, Sep 1, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30am)

      MON, Sep 2, 9:00am: Sohum Kriya
      MON, Sep 2, 10:00am: Online satsang: Life Here & Hereafter. This timing is mostly for the benefit of people in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Russia, and India, but is open to all.
      MON, Sep 2, 12:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      MON, Sep 2, 4:00pm: Bhagavad Gita discussion (ashram).

      TUE, Sep 3, 9:00am: Om Kriya
      TUE, Sep 3, 12:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      TUE, Sep 3, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30pm)
      TUE, Sep 3, 7:30pm; Online: Open satsang in Spanish with Zulema translating for Swami Jnaneshvara

      WED, Sep 4, 9:00am: Yoga Nidra
      WED, Sep 4, 11:00am: Guided Preparation with Ma Tri (Meditation @ 12:00)
      WED, Sep 4, 12:30pm: Wisdom of the Ancient Sages (Mundaka Upanishad) discussion (ashram).
      WED, Sep 4, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30pm)

      THU, Sep 5, 9:00am: Sohum Kriya
      THU, Sep 5, 12:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      THU, Sep 5, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30pm)

      FRI, Sep 6, 9:00am: Om Kriya
      FRI, Sep 6, 12:00: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      FRI, Sep 6, 5:00pm: Guided Preparation with Ma Tri (Meditation @ 6:00)
      FRI, Sep 6, 6:30pm: Open community, fellowship, satsang at the ashram.

      SAT, Sep 7, 8:00am: Online: Inspired Thoughts of Swami Rama
      SAT, Sep 7, 9:00am: Yoga Nidra
      SAT, Sep 7, 12:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      SAT, Sep 7, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30pm)
      SAT, Sep 7, 7:30pm: Online: The Art of Joyful Living

      SUN, Sep 8, 9:00am: Deep Relaxation: Om Kriya
      SUN, Sep 8, 10:00am: Nondualism Satsang: ("to be announced")
      SUN, Sep 8, 4:00pm: Online: Bhagavad Gita
      SUN, Sep 8, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30am)

      FRI, Sep 13: Ma Tripurashakti leaves US for Netherlands

      MON, Sep 23 - WED, Oct 9: Swami Jnaneshvara in Netherlands and Germany

      NOTE: If you are in the local area, you are welcome to sit in on the online discussions from here in the office of the ashram. Also, we sometimes transmit the local gatherings out through the online meeting service.

      Online login info is here:
      https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/online

      **********************************
      UPCOMING:
      **********************************

      FALL 2013: Satsang in Holland and Germany

      **********************************
      ONGOING:
      **********************************
      Weekend or week-long self-transformation meditation retreats at the ashram for Members and Regular Participants of the ashram (by registration; contact for registration). For those who wish to have a vacation at our beaches and also visit the ashram, here is local hotel information:
https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/connections/hotels

      **********************************
      CALENDARS and CONNECTIONS:
      **********************************
      Abhyasa Ashram calendar (main calendar is through meetup.com):
      http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/#calendar

      Nondualism Satsang calendar:
      http://www.meetup.com/nondualism-satsang/#calendar
      Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AbhyasaAshram
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/AbhyasaAshramSatsang/

      **********************************
      DAILY SCHEDULE (typical day, subject to change; see calendar for complete schedules):
      **********************************
      5:00am: Walking (optional, weather permitting)
      6:00-6:30am: Quiet time, internal dialogue, contemplation

      6:30-7:30am: MEDITATION #1
      ..6:30-6:35am: Daily Mantras
      ..6:35-7:00am: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..7:00-7:30am: Silent Meditation

      8:00am: Breakfast; all are welcome
      9:00AM: Recorded guided meditation daily (sohum, om, meditation, or yoga nidra)
      10:00am: Videos, discussions, or personal coaching.

      11:30am-12:30pm: MEDITATION #2
      ..11:00am-12:00pm: Time slot for guided prep for meditation when it is coached
      ..11:30am-12:00pm: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..12:00pm-12:30pm: Silent Meditation

      12:30pm: Lunch; all are welcome
      1:00pm: Time slot for videos, discussions, or personal coaching.

      5:30-6:30pm: MEDITATION #3
      ..5:00-5:30pm: Time slot for guided prep for meditation when it is coached
      ..5:30-6:00pm: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..6:00-6:30pm: Silent Meditation

      6:30pm: Dinner on days with evening program; all are welcome
      7:30pm: Time slot for videos, discussions, personal coaching, or online programs.

      9:00-9:30pm: MEDITATION #4
      ..9:00-9:05pm: Daily Mantras
      ..9:05-9:10pm: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Brief Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..9:10-9:30pm: Silent Meditation

      9:30pm: Walking (optional, weather permitting)

      The three time periods between the four meditations (mid-morning, afternoon, and evening) are for service work (karma yoga), individual coaching, group discussions at the ashram or online, videos, or personal time.

      Video, study, class, coaching, service, or personal:
      Members and regular visitors to the ashram are welcome to stop by at other reasonable times to use the meditation hall. There is a CD player and copies of the Yoga Nidra and Basic Meditation CDs by Swami Jnaneshvara, as well as guided Om and Sohum Sushumna Kriya practices; you are welcome to use these.

      MAINTENANCE: Painting has come along nicely. There is only a little left to be done. Thanks to Greg for helping with the latest leak.

      RENOVATION/REPAIRS: Mirrors have been installed on the west wall of the meditation room; it looks very good. We will try to build a deck and canopy at the front door during the summer months. Let us know if you would like to help. We need to continue saving up donation money to totally replace the roof, which may cost around $35,000. We continue to explore putting ceiling fans in the dining room, classroom, and office. We continue exploring having the parking lot concrete repaired so that it drains without forming a pond.

      HOTEL: Construction on the Holiday Inn Express is coming along; they have completed the construction of most of the hotel. Now they are finishing the exterior and installing drywall inside. They are now adding the interior walls, the plumbing and electrical.

      https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/connections/membership
      (membership through December 2013)

      LEARNING SITE: The learning site is now online at http://abhyasaonline.com . Outlines have been created for 25+ self-study outlines. A little more info is here http://bit.ly/iktGmt. Let me know if you would like to participate, sending me your email, first and last name, city and country. If I will not recognize your name, please introduce yourself and let me know about your life and interests, and why you'd like to do this. You may keep in touch with me for clarification and coaching as you go through the self-study material. The site is not actually working properly and mostly serves now only as a place to review pdf files of teachings.

      ONLINE COUSE: We are in the process of creating online courses through Udemy.com. The URL of the course is: https://www.udemy.com/67882/ You cannot yet register, but can click on the Wishlist displayed there. I think this means you will be notified when the course is published in the next few weeks.

      FEES and DONATIONS: A special thanks is extended to the people who financially support the ashram. We charge no dues or fees, and the ashram operates on the loving donations of its members and participants.

      We currently have several online discussions per week. Look here for details:
      https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/online

      Our approach to training is mostly individual, one-to-one as the way Yoga meditation and contemplation has been traditionally taught for thousands of years. Personal coaching is available by appointment most days at 9:30am or 2:30pm. Please call or write to schedule a time. We also have regular satsang gatherings, which are listed on the calendar.

      Members and regular participants may visit the ashram for meditation retreats, which most often are of great benefit in the regularity and depth of your practices at home. Contact me to discuss times and your specific activities.

      NONDUALISM SATSANG
      A "Sunday Alternative" for the Emerald Coast
      SUNDAY, 10:00am-12:00pm (The conversations are so lively and rich that we usually don't end on time.)
      At 9:00-10:00am each week we have a Deep Relaxation session of one form or another. Details are announced each week on the calendar (below).

      MEETUP HOMEPAGE
http://www.meetup.com/nondualism-satsang/
      MEETUP CALENDAR (this is the main calendar for the Nondualism meetings):
      http://www.meetup.com/nondualism-satsang/#calendar