219Abhyasa Ashram Activities update - SEP 14, 2010

  • Swami J
    Sep 14, 2010
      Update: September 14, 2010

      *****************

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga." The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location, it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      ACTIVITIES PAGE: http://abhyasaashram.org
      MEETUP.COM CALENDAR: http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/calendar/
      (Meetup.com calendar is very user friendly to read.)

      505 Hooper Drive
      Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548

      RENOVATION: The roof and the air conditioning systems have been fully repaired. Drywall repairs have been made, and now need to be taped and finished. We are starting to do the renovation on the large meditation/hatha yoga room.

      MEMBERSHIP: We have three levels of involvement in the ashram, which are described here:

      TWICE DAILY PRACTICE TIMES
      (All times CST/CDST US)
      **********************************

      11:00am - 11:30am*: Personal, self-directed Hatha and Pranayama
      11:30am - 12:00pm: Silent Meditation
      5:30pm - 6:00pm*: Personal, self-directed Hatha and Pranayama
      6:00pm - 6:30pm: Silent Meditation

      **********************************
      EVENTS this WEEK
      **********************************

      WED, SEP 15, 10:30-11:30, Guided hatha yoga and pranayama with June Enfinger, followed by silent meditation at 11:30am

      WED, SEP 15, 12:00-2:00pm, Curriculum discussion group
      WED, SEP 15, 7:00pm - 8:30pm: Six week series (through OCT 6) of self-awareness practices with Swami Jnaneshvara. Please open and print out this file and bring with you:
      http://www.swamij.com/pdf/SJ-witness-100515.pdf

      THU, SEP 16: Swami J is in New York City through SEP 20.

      FRI, SEP 17, 5:00-6:00pm, Tripurashakti, Hatha yoga and pranayama, followed by meditation.
      SAT, SEP 18, 10:30-11:30: Tripurashakti, Hatha yoga and pranayama, followed by meditation.
      SAT, SEP 18, 6:30pm: Potluck and movie (Patch Adams).
      MON, SEP 20, 4:00-6:00pm: Bhagavad Gita

      **********************************
      ALL ACTIVITIES
      **********************************

      Complete listings of activities are listed here:
      http://abhyasaashram.org

      OCTOBER 30-31: Overnight meditation retreat at Ramada on Okaloosa Island. From 8:00am Saturday until 8:00am Sunday, leaving time to go to the Center for Nondualism program on Sunday morning. More info and registration is on this flyer: http://swamij.com/pdf/retreat-101030a.pdf.

      FEBRUARY IN FLORIDA (2011): Info is here:
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/feb-in-florida.htm

      CENTER FOR NONDUALISM CONFERENCE (FEB 2011): More info to come. See also:

      ONLINE DISCUSSION / SATSANG
      **********************************
      Online discussions have been temporarily suspended until we find a proper online service.
      We are exploring alternatives of service providers for the online meetings. Please see the link below for the latest info.

      Times are CST/CDST US
      WED, 9:00pm, Yoga Sutras discussion
      SAT, 8:30am, Satsang and Discussion
      SAT, 9:00pm, Readings Satsang and Discussion
      SUN, 9:00pm, Bhagavad Gita Discussion
      EXCEPTIONS: When Swami Jnaneshvara is traveling, then either Kathleen or Tripurashakti will open the meetings.

      SCHEDULE and DETAILS: http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      (This page is also linked on the home page of SwamiJ.com)

      **********************************
      RETREATS IN INDIA:

      OTHER PROGRAMS (Details TBA)
      **********************************
      September 16-20, 2010: New York City (Write to me for contact information of the people in New York who are sponsoring the visit, or directly contact one of the circle of people in New York if you are connected with the satsang group there.)
      October 1-3, 2010: East Aurora, New York (Write to me and I'll pass on contact information for the sponsor of the visit.)
      October 12-24, 2010: Santiago, Chile
      Nov 2-4, 2010: Pittsburgh, PA (contact info to be announced)
      November 2010: Rishikesh, India
      April 2011: Sydney Australia (and possibly Bali), sponsored by:
      http://www.yogacoach.com/

      Every Sunday at:
      Brooks Beal Center
      100 Beal Parkway NW
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32547

      *****************

      SUNDAY Program:
      9:30-10:30 am: Interactive Program
      10:30-11:00 am: Fellowship
      11:00-12:00 am: Main Program; speaker, guided meditation, inspirational reading
      12:00-12:30 pm: Fellowship

      *****************

      SWAMI JNANESHVARA upcoming Center participation:

      SEP 26, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      OCT 10, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      OCT 31, 11:00: Speaker for main program

      *****************

      4th ANNUAL CONFERENCE and RETREAT:
      Joyously Living Nondualism
      February 17-20, 2011

      ARTICLES:

      The Three Streams of Yoga, Vedanta, and Tantra
      http://swamij.com/yoga-vedanta-tantra.htm

      In the tradition of the Himalayan masters, Yoga, Vedanta, and Tantra complement one another, leading one systematically along the path to Self-realization. The aspirant clears the mind through the practice of Yoga meditation as codified in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, does self-enquiry of Vedanta, and then breaks through the final barrier with Tantra, experiencing the heights of kundalini awakening.

      *****************

      REFLECTIONS:

      Silence is not only the space between two thoughts, but also the space between two key strokes.

      PODCASTS:
      Archive of audio podcasts:
      http://www.swamij.com/podcast.htm

      YOUTUBE:
      Archives of my videos on YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/yogabindu
      http://www.youtube.com/swamijb
      Someone has also anonymously put 126 short videos of Swami Rama's lectures on
      internet:
      http://www.youtube.com/swamiramahimalayas

      CONNECTIONS
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/swamij
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/swamij
      Meetup.com: http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/
      Email and postal contact: http://www.swamij.com/contact.htm

      ACTIVITIES PAGE: https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/
      MEETUP.COM CALENDAR: http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/calendar/
      SWAMIJ.COM CALENDAR: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm
      (These calendars are gradually being integrated into one another.)

      NEWSLETTERS: