Sublime Primetime : An Evening with Emmy-Nominated Writers

  • citcfan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
      hey all,

      i promised sarah i'd make some semblance of my notes from tonight....
      here it is...

      so tonight Dena,(who lurks) Bgirl and myself were lucky enough to
      attend a special event at the WGA called "Sublime Primetime", which
      was a panel of some of the writers nominated for Emmys this year
      (duh).

      the panel included :

      Kirk Ellis, "Anne Frank"
      Paul Feig, "Freaks and Geeks"
      Robert L. Freedman, "Life With Judy Garland"
      Jeff Greenstein, "Will & Grace"
      Loring Mandel, "Conspiracy"
      Alex Reid, "Malcolm in the Middle"
      Hank Steinberg, "61*"

      and oh yeah...

      Aaron Sorkin, "The West Wing"

      the panel was moderated by Bryce Zabel, who is the Chairman/CEO of
      the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, and also a writer
      himself.

      After a video with snippets from all the nominated shows and movies...
      (they showed the scene from ITSOTG in the Manchester office where
      they explain why he can't win New Hampshire), the panel got underway.

      Bryce started with Aaron, wanting to talk about "Issac and Ishmael"
      mostly because there had been little to no talking about the ep
      before it aired, and because it was put together so quickly, and
      because it was the first tv show to address the events and aftermath
      of 9/11...be it indirectly.

      "I think we're still shooting...." - Aaron Sorkin

      At the time of the attack, Aaron was in the middle of writing the 6th
      episode of the season. A Halloween ep. He immeadiately stopped
      writing and tossed the script. He said that it didn't feel right to
      write. That all of a sudden what artists and writers did
      seemed "despicably silly."

      after 2 days, he and his staff "dug in" to learn the history of
      terrorism. this happened over that weekend, and come monday he
      pitched the script idea to tommy schlamme and john wells and he wrote
      it in roughly 2-3 days, and then rewrote, and rewrote and
      rewrote...he rewrote it quite a bit.

      he said he felt they needed to do this before "Manchester", and they
      agreed. they had 3 units running at all times on this. 3 directors,
      on three different sets, with editors working around the clock. he
      called it a "phenomenal team effort."

      then..the other guys got to talk....

      they came back to aaron a bit later discussing that eerie way he has
      of sometimes having a show air, and then the events actually
      happen....a phenomenon i like to call "Sorkindamus", but
      whatever...he did say he likes "tiny items on page 27. Those are the
      things I like to write about."

      he pointed out that he's very careful on TWW to reference
      contemporary Presidents, because he doesn't want people to try and
      figure out where Bartlet fits in the timeline. He also mentioned that
      he stays away from contemporary pop references, as in, we'll never
      hear them discussing Britney Spears, and/or "Survivor"
      (personally..that could be one hell of an interesting episode... )
      and that's why he uses things like Gilbert and Sullivan.

      he went on to talk about some things in upcoming eps that have been
      changed, or dropped, or need to be rewritten in the aftermath of
      9/11...

      actually a bunch of the writers, especially the sitcom ones had this
      problem...including a particularly funny story for "Malcolm" and the
      interesting way "Will & Grace" handled, and is going to try and
      address allegorically the situation...

      fortunately, he informed the audience that they're having no trouble
      bringing the funny on set now. apparently the episode they're working
      on currently is going to be quite humourous. speaking of that...he's
      not even a full script ahead..he's scenes ahead...he's literally
      writing this ep as they go. no pressure.

      later on he said he hopes in the aftermath of the events of 9/11 that
      artists, and especially writers don't sit around and wait for their
      cue. He proposed the writers as leaders, showing people how to unlock
      that door and let them know it's ok to laugh again.

      He was asked what he thought of "W" and his performance over the past
      few weeks, and he said this was no time to throw spitballs...classy
      guy he is...he believes in supporting him at this time. "even if his
      syntax is questionable"

      he was very vocal about Bill Maher and the situation that he's been
      put in, saying there was never a more important time for someone to
      be able to go on TV and voice a different opinion and not be lynched
      for it.

      i realize i've only recapped what aaron said, i assure you all it was
      an incredible panel of writers, and each of them had amazing things
      to say about their craft, and what direction they're going in, in
      this changed world.

      after the panel was over...and it was a good 2 hours of talking,
      there was a reception. B, Dena and I managed to catch Aaron as he was
      leaving, we didn't want to keep him long..since as we know..he needs
      to go write..clearly...

      i relayed a hello to aaron from our dear list leader sarah (sidenote:
      more lunches! i am pro-lunch all the way!), and remembered to
      introduce my cohorts...

      over the past few weeks i was struggling with how to deal with the
      events of 9/11...as a former new yorker, and hell, a citizen of the
      world i was having trouble. suddenly my job seemed ridiculous and
      moving forward seemed impossible. i got an email from B a few days
      after that, she had pulled the POTUS/Toby scene from the end of "The
      Midterms" and this particular exchange stuck out for me...

      Toby: I'm not sure I'm going to come out of the other side of this.

      Jed: I'm not sure I can either. But until we are sure, I think we
      should keep coming into work every day.

      and with that, my healing process began....why am i telling you this?
      because this is what i told aaron tonight. i wanted to thank him for
      that. to let him know that his words had helped me. i guess at this
      point i could feel myself getting a little shaky, my voice cracked a
      bit, and then before i knew what was happening, he hugged me and
      kissed me on the cheek and thanked me for sharing that with him.
      think what you will of him, and his writing but when it comes down to
      it, at least to me, he's an incredibly caring person who truly
      listens, and is wholeheartedly appreciative of comments, both good
      and bad.

      now we've reached the point of pure babble...and it's
      late..anyhoo...that's all folks...

      kel
    • Irene
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
        Wow, Kel... sounds incrediby amazing. I'm glad you
        guys had a good time.

        Dena (aka the Lurker), perhaps we get to hear your
        adaptation of this? Pleeze? And Bgirl, of course, I'd
        just love to read this over and over and over...

        Irene.

        =====
        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
      • LADreamr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
          Kel,

          Thanks so much for posting this. I so wish I had been there with you
          guys. I think Aaron continues to show his resilience and sense of
          humor through hard times and it's part of the bright light in him
          that causes that "sorkinette high" that happens when you've spent
          time with him.

          Anyway, you got enough shameless gushing from me last night. : ) If
          you guys have anything more to share, we'd LOVE to hear it!

          Thanks!!
          Sarah

        • Rhonda Dossett
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
            Thanks for sharing this with us. I enjoyed reading about your evening.

            citcfan@... wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > Toby: I'm not sure I'm going to come out of the other side of this.
            >
            > Jed: I'm not sure I can either. But until we are sure, I think we
            > should keep coming into work every day.
            >
            > and with that, my healing process began....why am i telling you this?
            > because this is what i told aaron tonight. i wanted to thank him for
            > that. to let him know that his words had helped me. i guess at this
            > point i could feel myself getting a little shaky, my voice cracked a
            > bit, and then before i knew what was happening, he hugged me and
            > kissed me on the cheek and thanked me for sharing that with him.
            > think what you will of him, and his writing but when it comes down to
            > it, at least to me, he's an incredibly caring person who truly
            > listens, and is wholeheartedly appreciative of comments, both good
            > and bad.
            >
            > now we've reached the point of pure babble...and it's

          • Rockette Scientist
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
              Kel, I'm new to this group (just joined yesterday), but I wanted to
              say thanks for going to the event, thanks for posting, but
              particularly thanks for having the courage to talk to Aaron Sorkin
              afterwards and telling him about how he affected you. It isn't easy
              to do that.

              RocketteSci

            • BradWhitfordFan@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
                In a message dated 10/6/2001 4:29:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, citcfan@... writes:

                now we've reached the point of pure babble...and it's
                late..anyhoo...that's all folks...

                Babbling can be a good thing :)  Especially when there is good reason, and you certainly have that!  Thanks for sharing, Kel!

                Kris

                *****
                "President Bartlet's a good man.  He's got a good heart.  He doesn't hold a grudge.  That's what he pays me for."
              • Kathryn
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 2001
                  Kel,

                  Thanks so much for the report and for saying what you
                  said to Aaron personally. I think you spoke for a lot
                  of us and I'm glad Aaron was able to hear that.

                  Kathryn

                • Amanda
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 8, 2001
                    Kel,

                    Thank you so much for sharing this with us! I'm so glad he spoke up
                    for Bill Maher. And the hug -- awwwww.

                    --Amanda
                  • boxuvrox@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 11, 2001
                      The Writers Guild website has a piece on this event, with a couple of
                      photos, and a fairly large audio file.

                      http://wga.org/content.html

                      There's also a link on that page for an "Online exhibit of Emmy-
                      winning writers", which includes a little profile of Aaron.

                      Kel, Thanks so much for sharing your experience, and for your words
                      about Aaron. He really is a treasure.

                      Carolin