real life

  • blaidddwrg
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2013
      i keep telling my sca friends that 1. family comes first and 2. it's called real life for a reason.  i got damn all accomplished for the challenge after early july.  between work, husband and other real life requirements, there just hasn't been much time for anything else.  but, we put the harley in winter storage last week and i'm nearly done with the jam and jelly making for the year.  the government didn't default so brian may actually receive his vet benefits for november.  i have finished knitting 2 pairs of really boring black wool socks to wear with my uniform.  now i can get back to fun stuff like finishing some embroidery before bull's head working on a quiver before a good friend moves away and, well crap, there just is neither enough room or time for the list.  back to the salt mines.

      moira nic connell the strongbow
      see you on the range
    • Andrea AskenDunn
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2013
        I know just how you feel!
        Asther de Perpinya

        On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM, <blaidddwrg@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Dianna

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2013
            On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:30:15 -0700, blaidddwrg@... wrote:
            > i keep telling my sca friends that 1. family comes first and 2.
            > it's called real life for a reason. i got damn all accomplished
            > for the challenge after early july. between work, husband and
            > other real life requirements, there just hasn't been much time for
            > anything else. but, we put the harley in winter storage last week
            > and i'm nearly done with the jam and jelly making for the year.
            > the government didn't default so brian may actually receive his vet
            > benefits for november. i have finished knitting 2 pairs of really
            > boring black wool socks to wear with my uniform. now i can get
            > back to fun stuff like finishing some embroidery before bull's head
            > working on a quiver before a good friend moves away and, well crap,
            > there just is neither enough room or time for the list. back to
            > the salt mines.
            >
            > moira nic connell the strongbow
            > see you on the range

            I found that this challenge really puts real life into perspective. I chose to do 50 pieces of illumination, that morphed into 150 pieces of illumination and 50 pieces of calligraphy. In the last 2.5 years I have completed 141 pieces of illumination and calligraphed 26 scrolls. While find it a relaxing diversion, I am so glad that I don't have to do this for a living. If I were a monk or a scribe, living hundreds of years ago, I would have gone postal. Now, when I am sick an tired of paints and inks, I can go do something else; such as laundry or work. I have a much greater concept of how demanding medieval scribes's jobs were and I am glad that I have a real life to retreat to when my hobby become too much for me.

            ska: Baron Caleb Reynolds
            mka: Caleb Ronsen
            aka: Bubba th' Barbarian
            Baron of the Court of AEthelmearc
            Because you can't spell "Lordly Absence" without Caleb Reynolds.

            "42? 7 1/2 million years and all you can come up with is 42?!"