Trick or Treat!

  • Carrot Khan
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2013
      Whew - a day past deadline and I feel I really dragged on this one.  It shouldn't have taken me as long as it did, especially with more than half of the heraldry as negative space, but October was a hard month.

      This is the closest I'll probably come to an "everyman" panel, so a couple of things for my captive audience.

      There was no "big event" for this year.  That I could find.  I'm sure that now that it's done and published someone will find epic trivia for me, but that's apparently the tapestry's geas and so I press ever on.  In the lack of a singular "big event" - I went for three smaller events, feeling that three small balances out one big.  Three is, after all, a magic number.

      I have two locations that were founded, the northern most (and I confess a small obsession with said Canton) and while its not the southern most I felt like the two locations balanced nicely with their establishment (I now also confess an obsession with patterns, blame my partial Libraness ;) )

      As for the third gentleman around the fire, seated center, he represents the Order of Knight Pensioners from the Outlands.  The purpose of this is to award fighters that have put in 25+ years (30+ years?) of continued participation in arts martial.  Non-Chiv are included in this Order and they're referred to as Lord Pensioners.

      I felt this was an important inclusion for a couple of reason - most everything the Society does and recognizes is "epic" - heroes on the list/melee field are recognized for skill and bravery, epic works of art are recognized, those who have put in long hours with thankless jobs are recognized, but that still doesn't recognize everyone.  That doesn't recognized the people who will probably never find that moment of glory (or not have it recognized), or achieve mastery in a skill they have practiced diligently, or been able to give the hours necessary for recognition, but are still there year after year after year after year.  I think "time served" is something that people should be recognized for - in how ever you can find a way to do so - because their attention and devotion to the Dream apparently is just as unwavering as Royal Peer so-and-so.  Possibly more so, as they have continued to participate without collecting every cookie their Kingdom had to offer.  They love it that much that they still come out and still enjoy themselves.  Its why I thought the Pensioners was an Order worth mentioning.

      A man asked me not too long ago why every panel was a "Someone" rather than focusing on everything else that was going on that year.  Quite rightly I said I couldn't do 50 panels of people sitting around the fire saying "No sh*t, there I was..." because that would get just as repetitive as the Litany of Kings.  However, year 36 gave me the opportunity for the Everyman around the fire doing just that - sharing food and drink and telling the obligatory storytelling lies that one does at a camping event or a post-revel.  Here's the hat-tip for everyone without the alphabet soup after their names.

      So, next year?  Back to the Litany of Kings. ;)

      Jadwiga
      Tapestry Chick
      (so close now, so close to being finish.....)
    • Elewyiss SCA

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2013
          Another fine job.  Good luck with your deadlines!

          Cathryn

          To: aands50challengecommunity@yahoogroups.com; 1duchess@...; dukedagan@...; Gray-Fox-Members@yahoogroups.com; kharmindh@...; shauna@...; bridget.murphy@...

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2013

            On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Elewyiss SCA <elewyiss@...> wrote: