applied heraldry

  • katherine kerr
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2013
      > Ellina:

      > I'm looking for ways to use my arms on clothing or dress accessoires
      > (like bags). And I'm going to take white duvet covers and paint my arms
      > on them with fabric paint. That doesn't have to be period (I know that
      > fabric paint isn't) but I think it's fun having duvet covers with my
      > arms to sleep in at events.

      There are lots and lots of ways you can use your heraldry, even if has yet to be registered. In period they stuck it all over everything, darn near.

      Coblaith's page is an excellent reference and inspiration:
      http://coblaith.net/Heraldry/50Ways/50Ways.html

      My rather random collection of applied heraldry projects, including some clothing, can be found amidst the increasingly scatter-gun entries for my AS50 challenge:
      http://webcentre.co.nz/kk/as50.htm

      And most heraldry books have chapters showing what people have used heraldry for, from seals, to chairs, to cushions, to surcoats to rolls of arms to crests to standards, funeral hatchments and plaques etc etc etc.

      As for fabric paint not being period, be assured that painting on fabric is, even if we are more inclned to use lower-toxicity and colour-fast/waterproof products these days. Here are a couple of references which you might find interesting:

      Gordon, Barbara; "Whips and Angels Painting on Cloth in the Mediaeval Period”; Pacific Association for Recreating the Middle Ages
      http://web.archive.org/web/20030205223230/http://www.parma.bc.ca/articles/steyned.html

      Cennino D' Andrea Cennini; Il Libro dell' Arte (The Craftsman's Handbook);
      http://www.noteaccess.com/Texts/Cennini/Contents.htm
      including
      A section dealing with work on cloth.
      First, Painting and Gilding.
      Various Ways to Do Hangings
      How To Work on Silk, on Both Sides
       How to Paint and Gild on Velvet
      How to Lay Gold and Silver on Woolen Cloth
      http://www.noteaccess.com/Texts/Cennini/10M.htm

      A Section Dealing with Miscellaneous Incidental Operations: First, Block Printing on Cloth
      http://www.noteaccess.com/Texts/Cennini/13M.htm

      I have been told that making a heraldic surcoat with the arms of yourself and your husband/partner is guaranteed to produce a divorce within a couple of months of finishing it....

      Cheers,
      katherine

      =====================================
      katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
      Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
      http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
    • Christine Fiebig
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2013
        Thank you Katherine for your links and thanks to anybody else who
        pointed me to Coblaith's page.

        I'll look into the links and in the Luttrell psalter as Asther suggested
        as soon as I have a bit more time.

        And I'll put my painted bed covers onto my A&S 50 list as soon as they
        are done.

        Am 06.10.2013 04:43, schrieb katherine kerr:

        > There are lots and lots of ways you can use your heraldry, even if has
        > yet to be registered. In period they stuck it all over everything, darn
        > near.
        >
        > Coblaith's page is an excellent reference and inspiration:
        > http://coblaith.net/Heraldry/50Ways/50Ways.html
        >
        > My rather random collection of applied heraldry projects, including some
        > clothing, can be found amidst the increasingly scatter-gun entries for
        > my AS50 challenge:
        > http://webcentre.co.nz/kk/as50.htm
        >
        > And most heraldry books have chapters showing what people have used
        > heraldry for, from seals, to chairs, to cushions, to surcoats to rolls
        > of arms to crests to standards, funeral hatchments and plaques etc etc etc.

        > I have been told that making a heraldic surcoat with the arms of
        > yourself and your husband/partner is guaranteed to produce a divorce
        > within a couple of months of finishing it....

        Don't worry, I won't put my and my partner's arms together on one piece.
        One reason is because he hasn't registered arms.

        Ellina
      • madamedupont@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 13, 2013

          http://home.arcor.de/mustangace/sca_class_heraldicdisplay.htm