Happy Birthday to Us!!! :)

  • Albreda Aylese
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2008
      Hello, Challenge Community!!!

      Today is our Birthday, and I hope we each have a good one! :)

      Challengers officially signed up in our Database will hopefully be
      receiving Birthday Cards between now and next Monday night, and I
      hope you all enjoy writing them and sharing the joy!

      I would like to take a moment while I may to thank those folks on
      this list who have *no intention* of officially becoming Challengers
      themselves. You are the observers, the promoters of A&S, the good
      gentles who are here to act simply as resources and sounding boards
      for our many and diverse projects. You may not be Challengers, but
      you are most certainly valued members of our Challenge Community, and
      we thank you for being here! :)

      As of today, we have 158 members of this Yahoo group Challenge
      Community, and 90 people officially signed up for the Challenge in
      the database! We also have a *bunch* of local and regional
      listserves going, seven Kingdoms have Coordinators, and we have held
      meetings at Pennsic, Estrella, and Gulf Wars, as well as at Rowany
      Festival in Lochac. Challengers come from 17 out of 19 Kingdoms, and
      two sitting members of the Royalty are members of our Community.

      The fact that all of this growth has occured in just the one year
      since I had a little idea, and wrote about it in a few places,
      honestly boggles my mind. I'm so glad we have all found one another!

      My present to the Community is a newly updated website (which will be
      able to be found at ArtsAndSciences50.org as soon as it spreads
      through each internet cache, or whatever they're called), with an
      expanded FAQ, and a list of Coordinator contacts and local/regional
      listserves. I was hoping to complete an annotated webography of
      resources on how to do good documentatation, but it just hasn't
      happened yet, sorry. I DID archive and remove all of the technically
      awkward forums there though (I'll post them in the files section
      here, once I've tidied them up a bit), and I discovered that there
      were *quite* a few folks on there who have not yet joined us here, so
      I guess I have tracking them all down as another project to add to my
      to-do list!

      Anyway, my hopes for us for our second year together include Kingdom
      Coordinators for each Kingdom, visible representation for us at each
      Inter-Kingdom War, and official Challengers hailing from every
      Kingdom. Compared to what we've already accomplished, I feel like
      these are more like predictions, than wishes! :)

      *I* think we are doing a great job by our motto - "to learn and share
      of our learning, to create and share of our creation." When I look
      at the posts on this list, I see folks experimenting and discovering,
      helping others find sources, both within our Community and beyond,
      and I hear reports (and see pictures!) of works in progress, and of
      them being exhibitted and entered, and even offered to others. What
      more COULD we be doing to share our philosophy with the Knowne
      World? (Actually, that's a pretty good question, and I invite your
      answers!)

      My BIGGEST wish for all of us is simple though - that we all keep on
      having **FUN**!!!

      Happy Birthday to Us, and ENJOY!
      Albreda
    • ursula.widow
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2008
        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Albreda Aylese"
        <AlbredaA@...> wrote:

        > Hello, Challenge Community!!!
        >
        > Today is our Birthday, and I hope we each have a good one! :)

        I hope you have a GREAT one, Albreda, and let me say what I'm sure
        many are thinking: what a fantastic idea the Challenge is and how
        much I admire your guts and enthusiasm for making it happen.

        Everyone I've told about it thinks it's a great idea. What usually
        happens is, as soon as I've made the basic idea clear, their eyes
        turn foggy and they start musing, "I could..." Or, when I told a
        devoted married couple, they turned to each other and said "YOU
        could..."

        So THANK YOU, ALBREDA. One down, seven to go!

        With respect and gratitude,
        Ursula