Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Cordials, Kumihimo, and Coordinator? Oh my!

  • Anplica Fiore
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
      Cordials are great! They'll make you many friends around campfires.
      :) I have a couple aging myself that will be part of this challenge -
      one is a watermelon-vodka (the competition it's entering has some
      interesting required ingredients) and another is a raspberry in brandy
      with vanilla. All I can say is YUMMO!! I am looking forward to
      enjoying these and also sharing them with others.

      Last year for the same competition, I entered a Spiced Lychee vodka
      cordial that to my surprise won the contest. Basically, we're given a
      list of 10 ingredients that range from odd to common (this year's
      includes raspberry, pepper/grains of paradise, vanilla bean, beet,
      watermelon and more) and each entry must include at least 2 of them.
      It's a lot of fun!

      I hope you enjoy cordial making as much as I do!

      An

      --
      Anpliça Fiore
      Keythong & Ministraro Herald - Kingdom of Northshield

      Blazon: Argent, a tulip inverted azure slipped and leaved vert between
      flaunches azure.
      Personal Motto: Fare Del Bene
    • katerinkalvovicha
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2008
        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Anplica Fiore"
        <anplica@...> wrote:

        > Cordials are great! They'll make you many friends around campfires.
        > :) I have a couple aging myself that will be part of this challenge -
        > one is a watermelon-vodka (the competition it's entering has some
        > interesting required ingredients) and another is a raspberry in brandy
        > with vanilla. All I can say is YUMMO!! I am looking forward to
        > enjoying these and also sharing them with others.

        Cordials are soooooo much fun. I have three quarts of pumpkin pie
        cordial sitting at home at my mom and dad's place. I didn't strain it
        before I left (oops) so I talked dad through it over the phone! Mom
        thinks I'm crazy, but dad thinks I'm a bloody genius!

        This summer, I'm going to try a cucumber cordial. If it works out the
        way I hope it will (cooling but not bitter) I'll be using that as part
        of my "stuff I can barter in order to get stuff I want but can't make"
        chest that I am preparing for events this summer. Actually, come to
        think of it, that's where a lot of my A&S50 material projects are
        going to end up. Ooooo, maybe I could put my lesson plans in there?
        That'd be fun too.

        Scheming like only A&S50'ers can, I remain ever in service...

        Katerinka
      • happycat4691
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2008
          I just added a photo with 2 examples of Kumihimo cord, one using four bobbins and one
          using eight bobbins. It is really simple to learn using four bobbins and makes cord pretty
          quickly. You can make a braiding stand out of sturdy cardboard and use spools of thread
          for the bobbins - just wrap your cord threads on top of the thread that is already there. I
          used a spool of solder for a center weight and attached it with some scrap wire that was
          laying around; a twist tie would have worked just as well. So don't be intimidated by the
          cost of supplies - you can do Kumihimo with stuff that is lying around your house! That
          said, it is nicer to use a nice wooden braiding stand. I am in the process of making
          several to experiment with different woods and get practice. They are not all perfect and
          probably won't be ready for a few weeks but I'd be happy to send one (just the stand, not
          the bobbins) to someone who will reimburse me for cost of materials and shipping (I
          don't think I spent more than $10 in materials on any one stand). Check out my blog,
          www.medievalartcraft.blogspot.com and scroll down to find the post "Maru dai bobbins"
          from March 21st to see a picture. So far I am making stands using oak, maple and birch. I
          have three extra in progress and I am going to the wood store (aka crack den) for more. A
          nice maple stand (more beautiful than mine) sells at Lacis for over $100.

          -Kathy

          P. S. Kumihimo and woodworking projects are both part of my A&S 50 challenge for
          learning new things.

          --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Catriona A. Morganosa"