fox-themed things?

  • katherine kerr
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
      Hi folks,

      I have a new challenge diverting me from my AS50 ones, but I figure you're all creative types
      so maybe you can provide some ideas/assistance to get me back on track :-)

      I'm after "stuff" which has a fox-theme -- Western European, rather than kitsune or other
      cultures.

      For example, anyone know any good entertaining versions of the Reynard stories -- poems,
      plays, songs? I've looked at a bunch of versions online but haven't really found anything that
      appeals to my sense of the period/perioid as yet. I may well end up writing my own material,
      but will cheerfully crib and copy ("please only to call it research").

      Cheers,
      katherine
      =====================================
      katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
      Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
      http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
    • lorenzo_da_siena
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2013
        My apprentice Talia de Morales recently wrote a puppet show adaptation of Chaucer's Nun's Priest's Tale, which involves a Reynard-style fox and Chauntecleer the rooster:

        http://taliademorales.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/chaucer-puppet-plays/

        --Lorenzo

        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "katherine kerr" <vicki@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I have a new challenge diverting me from my AS50 ones, but I figure you're all creative types
        > so maybe you can provide some ideas/assistance to get me back on track :-)
        >
        > I'm after "stuff" which has a fox-theme -- Western European, rather than kitsune or other
        > cultures.
        >
        > For example, anyone know any good entertaining versions of the Reynard stories -- poems,
        > plays, songs? I've looked at a bunch of versions online but haven't really found anything that
        > appeals to my sense of the period/perioid as yet. I may well end up writing my own material,
        > but will cheerfully crib and copy ("please only to call it research").
        >
        > Cheers,
        > katherine
        > =====================================
        > katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
        > Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
        > http://webcentre.co.nz/kk

      • J C Ronsen
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2013
          On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 10:15:36 +1200, katherine kerr wrote:
          > Hi folks,
          >
          > I have a new challenge diverting me from my AS50 ones, but I figure
          > you're all creative types
          > so maybe you can provide some ideas/assistance to get me back on
          > track :-)
          >
          > I'm after "stuff" which has a fox-theme -- Western European, rather
          > than kitsune or other
          > cultures.

          Here is a link to the fox entry in the Medieval Bestiary: http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast179.htm

          Enjoy.

          ska: Baron Caleb Reynolds
          mka: Caleb Ronsen
          aka: Bubba th' Barbarian
          Baron of the Court of AEthelmearc
          Because you can't spell "Lordly Absence" without Caleb Reynolds.

          "I'd probably like my doctor a bit more if he wouldn't walk around humming 'Another One Bites the Dust' all the time."
          -- Kristy Baxter
        • hkubasch
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2013
            I would look at manuscript marginalia. I know that the Macclesfield psalter has a wonderful illumination of a farmer's wife in hot pursuit of a fox carrying of a goose. I found that one one the digitzed British Library. Another source would be folk tales.

            Regards
            Heike

            Sent from AOL Mobile Mail