Early Ding!

  • Carrot Khan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2013
      I didn't expect to get this one done ahead of schedule, but there it is.
      I'm a little worried about the ache in my thumb, so maybe I either need to
      switch needles or take a few days off. Taking days off, of course, makes
      me feel like I'm falling behind/slacking. Or maybe doing one of my other
      101 projects. Like new garb. I perpetually need new garb. And the
      husband. And the three monsters grow out new tunics faster than I can cut
      them out.

      Or I should be working on both.

      But, a note on the use of St. Basil's cathedral. I have been asked "Why
      mention the Onion article when it really isn't part of SCA history."

      Simple, really. To do a parody of something, it has to be in the cultural
      consciousness of the crowd you're pitching the parody too. You might be
      able to recognize that it is funny, but miss out on the bigger joke for not
      understanding why its being used in the parody in the first place. I felt
      that the SCA reached a level of "mainstream-ness" where casual readers
      understood what was going on and/or brought the org into an even greater
      level of awareness by the exposure.

      That and I found something delightfully multi-layered in an article giving
      "fake history" for an org that I am documenting "fake history".

      Before I get hair splitters - my use of "Fake History" here means the
      goings on of places that don't exist - like the maps/history of Narnia or
      Middle Earth or Hogwart's. The Kingdom maps/honor rolls only exist in our
      books and in our timelines and our memories - you'll never find them in the
      history books at your local school or discus the alliances of Pennsic in
      your senior year PoliSci study group. (Although I suppose it would be an
      interesting Anthropological thesis covering cultures in micro, comparing
      all the same growing pains of a "real" empire but in a compressed timeline).

      So, 34 done. 15 left to go.

      My respects to Ealdormere and to all who suffered the loss that year.

      yours,
      Jadwiga Wlodzislawska
      Tapestry Chick