Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Almost there

  • Carrot Khan
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2013
      I think Scroll 126 (followed closely by 125 & 12) is my favorite. You just
      don't see demonic monsters very often.

      Jadwiga
      Tapestry Chick
      Middle Kingdom

      On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM, J C Ronsen <jcronsen@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I just completed my 140th piece of illumination since I started the A&S50
      > challenge in March of 2011. I have not only learned how to do proper
      > illumination, but I started doing calligraphy and have done 21 pieces so
      > far. It was suggested to me, in 2011, that I could take on the Challenge
      > and do something that I was already good at: such as 50 batches of mead. Or
      > 50 articles or research papers. But I chose to try something that I wasn't
      > good at: illumination. I started by doing random scroll blanks and handing
      > them off to my Baronial signet, then to Kingdom. Then to royal gift
      > baskets. Along the way, I picked up good pigment and paper and took many
      > classes on how to be better. I have now reached the point where when one of
      > my scrolls is held up in court, it gets an "ooooh" or an "aaaaah". I am
      > continually working towards making scrolls good enough that they will get a
      > "dammmnnnnnnn" in court.
      >
      > Please, when y'all talk about the Challenge to those who think that they
      > don't have any tallent, relate my words to those people: if I can't learn
      > to do something, anyone can.
      >
      > And, if y'all are interested, the 140th peice can be found at
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/calebreynolds/9490595842/
      >
      > ska: Baron Caleb Reynolds
      > mka: Caleb Ronsen
      > aka: Bubba th' Barbarian
      > Baron of the Court of AEthelmearc
      > Because you can't spell "Blare Yens Cold" without Caleb Reynolds.
      >
      > Have a nice day - void where prohibited.

    • J C Ronsen

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2013
          ...and this letter I'll save for when I need a smile. Thank you, and congrats!
          Albred

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2013
            On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 17:23:26 -0500, Carrot Khan wrote:
            > I think Scroll 126 (followed closely by 125 & 12) is my favorite.
            > You just
            > don't see demonic monsters very often.
            >
            > Jadwiga
            > Tapestry Chick
            > Middle Kingdom

            Yes, #126 is one of my favorites, too. It was fun to make and I am just waiting for a Best Death scroll assignment.

            ska: Baron Caleb Reynolds
            mka: Caleb Ronsen
            aka: Bubba th' Barbarian
            Baron of the Court of AEthelmearc
            Because you can't spell "Blare Yens Cold" without Caleb Reynolds.

            "...Philosophy begins in wonder."
          • Chris Taylor
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2013
              That is inspiring! I love that idea, congratulations on your accomplishment
              and continued journey.

              Caitlin, OL (Caid)

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12, 2013
                Thank you for sharing your wonderful and inspiring story. I couldn't agree with you more that anyone can learn to do whatever they want. As an artist I am always telling people that "talent" is overrated. It's just a starting point. It's the love of the art, whatever art it is, which inspires artists to practice their art. Love of the art makes it a joy, so we don't think of it as work. When you find an art that you love (all things creative are art to me, not just painting or drawing), practice and continual learning is what propels you to achieve wonderful things. And no matter how good you get, it is never perfect because there is always something more to learn and try.

                Keep practicing and I'm sure you'll get your "dammmnnnnnnn" moment. I hope you share it with us when you do. :)

                Cheers,
                Sidney

                --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, J C Ronsen <jcronsen@...> wrote:

                > I just completed my 140th piece of illumination since I started the A&S50 challenge in March of 2011. I have not only learned how to do proper illumination, but I started doing calligraphy and have done 21 pieces so far. It was suggested to me, in 2011, that I could take on the Challenge and do something that I was already good at: such as 50 batches of mead. Or 50 articles or research papers. But I chose to try something that I wasn't good at: illumination. I started by doing random scroll blanks and handing them off to my Baronial signet, then to Kingdom. Then to royal gift baskets. Along the way, I picked up good pigment and paper and took many classes on how to be better. I have now reached the point where when one of my scrolls is held up in court, it gets an "ooooh" or an "aaaaah". I am continually working towards making scrolls good enough that they will get a "dammmnnnnnnn" in court.
                >
                > Please, when y'all talk about the Challenge to those who think that they don't have any tallent, relate my words to those people: if I can't learn to do something, anyone can.
                >
                > And, if y'all are interested, the 140th peice can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/calebreynolds/9490595842/
                >
                > ska: Baron Caleb Reynolds
                > mka: Caleb Ronsen
                > aka: Bubba th' Barbarian
                > Baron of the Court of AEthelmearc
                > Because you can't spell "Blare Yens Cold" without Caleb Reynolds.
                >
                > Have a nice day - void where prohibited.

              • Madame du Pont
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13, 2013
                  My Lord,
                  Most excellent illumination work.  Such unique and interesting scrolls.  I liked the viking ship with runes written on it and the letter 'S' as a man with an ax.  Merci for sharing them with us.
                  Adieu,
                  Madame du Pont, stayner de silk on her 35th of 50.

                  "Gules, a swan naiant within a bordure argent"