Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: [MidrealmAandS50Challenge] Planning for the Society 50 Year Exhibition

  • Marilee Humason
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
      I am constantly being reminded that the SCA is based on fighting. Period. everything else was added afterward. Fighting will always be considered first every time, then Arts, then the redheaded step child, which is Bardic. I suggest also making it available more than one day and time if possible, but face it, everyone who wants to go, wont be able to. Get over it. I have spent the last 34 years trying to.
      regards,
      Baroness Anastasia
      Past A&S Champion
      Past Bardic Champion
      Antir
      Glenn Abhann

      Sister of the Golden Swan
      Order of the Illirium

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
        Hey folks.

        I am the founder of the A&S 50 Challenge, and I spent yesterday figuring out what Pennsic classes I could go to around the rattan battles I want to attend and photograph. Some spots proved tough choices, and I'll leave some battles early, but some are sacrosanct, like the unbelted champions battle, and the only way you'll get me off the field, away from the fighters I support, is if I'm too hot to be safe.

        We get hundreds of artisans together for bardic extravaganzas, Universities, and A&S displays, but, simply put, we do mostly individual sports. Miss one person skating, and you can still watch the next. Rattan fighting isn't like that. Fencing isn't even like that, due to smaller numbers of participants. Archery, TW, etc, are, like us, mostly individuals getting together to do our things in good company.

        We usually call these events 'going to War' for a reason. The rattan combat IS that reason. They are why these huge events exist in the first place. The pageantry and gallantry of those early fights are why the SCA exists, not that we owe them anything for it. And those fighters? Most of them appreciate finely made and beautiful things, and most of them appreciate the work that goes into perfecting our skills. They are just too dang tired at the end of the day to prioritize coming to see our stuff. I will miss some interesting classes to go photograph and support them, as is my choice. I don't think this means that I take my A&S less seriously, I think it means that I can do A&S stuff year round, can even google the teachers of classes I miss, but I can only see the field battle at Pennsic that one day, during those set hours. Just as scribal or bardic aren't for all artisans, fighting isn't for all Scadians, but without scribes we have no scrolls, without bardic we have no songs at our feasts nor stories round our campfires. Without fighters, we have no gross motor to pair with our fine, no battle cries to pair with our songs, no examples of strength to offset with pure grace. We need that balance. I cherish it, and am inspired by it.

        We all matter. There is enough room for all of us.

        Albreda

      • faridaalhadiati
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
          Well said, Albreda-san!

          This is one of the beauties of the SCA — there is room for everyone. I'm not sure how things are in other Kingdoms, but here in An Tir, to become a Knight, a fighter must not only be skilled an chivalrous, but also demonstrate ability in dancing, compose a sing. Our Sargeants and Yeomen likewise have do demonstrate some skills in the arts and sciences.

          Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.

          YIS
          Miyamoto no Akikonomu