Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: [MidrealmAandS50Challenge] Planning for the Society 50 Year Exhibition

  • Monique Lyon
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
      Greetings All,

      I concur with Jadwiga. My King is both a Knight and a Laurel. He was
      bestowed his Laurel first and takes the Arts and Sciences quite seriously.
      He and many of the Laurel/Knights in our kingdom as well as other fighters
      who both fight and create arts and sciences lament not being able to
      participate in both.

      Now, going along with Moira's statement, it is true, despite their love of
      the arts, they will 9 times out of 10 choose the fighting if it is up
      against the arts on the schedule and they generally skip archery if
      fighting is up against it as well.

      Tourneys and Melees also take the time of consorts, field supporters,
      heralds, marshals and chirurgeons. So lots of folks miss A&S due to
      fighting events.

      If you are able to perhaps offer two or more viewing dates/times, that may
      help balance the opportunities for viewing.

      Cheers,

      Magdalen Venturosa
      A&S 50 Participant in Atenveldt and
      Estrella War XXX Main Event Steward (who knows something of scheduling
      events)

    • Julie Washington
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 18, 2013
        Sounds wonderful! Be sure to post photos of your work! Welcome aboard!

        --
        Julie E. Washington

      • gilianaattewatyr
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 18, 2013
          Good luck in your new hobby!! I put out my display of 114 in 50 pewter entries this year at Uprising, including two larger constructed vessels. I have mostly been sending my apprentices out to teach of late and one, Countess Clare de Lacy, is likely at least partly to blame for your new time suck. :) Please let me know if there is anything that I can help with, be it sources, documentation, supplies or troubleshooting.

          Giliana Attewatyr, OL
          amefinch@...

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 18, 2013
            Cat, the stuff in your second email sounds workable to me. Perhaps, though,
            we could ask participants to bring their own bowl for tokens and notebook?
            It could help keep costs down.
            I have found (through doing various A&S displays) that some people really
            want to be told *exactly* how much space they have. Maybe you could come up
            with a "standard space" -- maybe 1/2 of an 6-foot table? Anyone needing
            more than that would go into the "large display" category.

            Can I make a plea on behalf of the bards? Can a corner of the room be set
            aside for bards to do a 10-min. set to represent their Challenge? Music and
            storytelling might also pull folks into the display room.

            Thanks for great ideas, everyone!

            Jolicia atte Northclyfe

            On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Cat Berdanier <baroness_cat@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > All wonderful questions Christine. I will present them and try to have
            > more answers for you as we get closer. I would like to compile ideas before
            > setting things in stone.
            >
            > There is one hard and fast rule that Albreda would like to see enforced.
            > Documentation is not required. It is however an optional piece if you wish
            > to use it.
            >
            > As for space, I'm told we have plenty but that is always a relative term.
            > We might have so many pre-reservations that large indoor displays will not
            > be possible, in which case, possibly pictures of the items might be
            > appropriate.
            >
            > A budget has yet to be set. Would people be interested in making donations
            > on the day to cover some costs if we were to have everybody start on an
            > even keel with a note book, a small bowl for tokens, and a pre-printed sign
            > with their name and challenge(s)? I would also like to provide some
            > refreshments for those who are displaying items.
            >
            > Security will probably be up to each individual. Sit with your things
            > during the display or have pictures of the items. This will be a huge
            > exhibition and I can not have eyes on everything. I will try to get
            > volunteers or neighboring Challengers to help stand in for bathroom breaks
            > and the like however.
            >
            > I do not believe we will be doing tablecloths as many people would like to
            > bring what suits their display best.
            >
            > Appropriate display will be up to you, including table top easels. Photo
            > albums, journals, printouts all are acceptable if the items will not be
            > there in person. Free standing pieces should be okay but as yet, I can't
            > tell you how much space. I will check about items up on the walls.
            >
            > Keep the dialogue running so that I can best serve the needs of the many.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Cathryn

            Julie E. Washington

          • sidneyeileen
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 18, 2013
              Hi All,

              Thank you for the warm welcome. I am replying to multiple people in one post, rather than multiple small posts.

              Hillary - Ansteorra: Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't looked into the specifics of how to do it yet, and probably won't until I have a number of successful casts under my belt, but I was thinking that soldering would be worthwhile to be able to create multi-part items, or to bend and seal circular items like rings. It's definitely another aspect to investigate down the road!

              Madame du Pont: Would you mind posting a link to the FB group? The only one I found searching was specifically for personas. Is there another one? So far the groups I've seen with the most postings for the A&S50 are the Artisans of the Society for Creative Anachronism group and the SCA Arts and Sciences group.

              Giliana Attewatyr: I would actually be grateful for any suggestions on documentation or supplies. At the moment I don't have any supplies, and I'm figuring it will be about two months before I have everything together. I have several places bookmarked for pewter and soapstone, but really I need everything. I'd be grateful for any suggestions on your favorite sources on materials and tools.

              As for documentation, I don't have any reference books or materials yet, and a couple forays into internet searching have turned up very little. I haven't figured out an effective search term yet. If you have any books, web sites, or other resources to recommend, I'd be most thankful. :)

              I don't have any troubleshooting questions yet, but once I get going with the challenge I'm sure I will.

              Thank you,
              Sidney Eileen

              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "gilianaattewatyr" <amefinch@...> wrote:

              > Good luck in your new hobby!! I put out my display of 114 in 50 pewter entries this year at Uprising, including two larger constructed vessels. I have mostly been sending my apprentices out to teach of late and one, Countess Clare de Lacy, is likely at least partly to blame for your new time suck. :) Please let me know if there is anything that I can help with, be it sources, documentation, supplies or troubleshooting.
              >
              > Giliana Attewatyr, OL
              > amefinch@...
              >

              > --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "sidneyeileen" <sidney@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Greetings all! Although I have been attending meetings of the Baron of Starkhafn in Caid for about a year now, I became an official member card-carrying member of the SCA about a month ago. I do not yet have an official SCA name, but I am easy to find online through my real name, Sidney Eileen. I found the A&S50 Challenge through one of the SCA facebook groups, where someone posted a piece they were creating for the challenge.
              > >
              > > I'm an accomplished seamstress and artist, specializing in realistic paintings and drawings, celtic knotwork, and corsetry. Although I look forward to creating medieval clothing, I did not feel that there was enough time left in the challenge for me to create 50 pieces. Instead, I am going to focus my challenge on a brand new craft for me - pewter casting. I was introduced to the art of pewter casting just a couple weeks ago at an A&S workshop, and I found it absolutely delightful. It will take me a bit to get all the materials together to be able to do soapstone carving and pewter casting at my own home, but I am confident I will be able to create 50 pieces in the remaining time. I plan to draw inspiration from historic pieces, although I expect that most of the designs will not be reproductions. A great many will likely feature Celtic knotwork. Items are going to include pendants, buttons, tokens, broaches, pins, rings, and also potentially plates, bowls, and cups.
              > >
              > > I look forward to thoroughly exploring the pewter medium and sharing it with the SCA.

            • blaidddwrg
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
                okay, you made your point, fighter loves and support the arts and sciences. now if they could just show a little more love and tolerance for archery.
                moira

                --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Monique Lyon <magdalen67@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > displays in order to give access to all the people that already have their
                > > day-walking time eaten up by their primary passions (or obligations). I'd
                > > much rather put the tapestry up at noon and take it down at 10 pm that
                > > night than to roll out of bed early to get it up to take it down by 3 pm
                > > before the last battle isn't even started.
                > >
                > > Granted, I have less to worry about in putting up the tapestry and leaving
                > > it hang for a day or two for people to wander by at their leisure. It
                > > would be very hard for someone to walk off with it should I decide I'm
                > > going to spend a few hours at the list field watching the husband fight -
                > > or maybe eat - or take a nap. If someone did mange to walk off with it, I
                > > would anticipate it being easy to track down as its very hard to hide and
                > > what are they going to do with it once they have it? I don't know what I'm

              • Hillary
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
                  If I recall, we used regular silver solder on pewter items, but I'll have to go back and check my notes, I'm pretty sure it was the uber-soft silver-solder easy-easy, as opposed to medium solder, since pewter is very soft also.

                  The pewter teacher advising us to use separate tools for pewter work that what one may use in silver or gold work, as the pewter can contaminate your better metals, he had both sets of tools, books, etc, in two different rooms in his studio, to avoid contamination.

                  I also may have some documentation or YouTube videos I can point you to, so will try to look for those this weekend and post for all.

                  Cheers, Hillary

                  --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "sidneyeileen" <sidney@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > Thank you for the warm welcome. I am replying to multiple people in one post, rather than multiple small posts.
                  >
                  > Hillary - Ansteorra: Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't looked into the specifics of how to do it yet, and probably won't until I have a number of successful casts under my belt, but I was thinking that soldering would be worthwhile to be able to create multi-part items, or to bend and seal circular items like rings. It's definitely another aspect to investigate down the road!

                  <snip>

                  > Thank you,
                  > Sidney Eileen

                • maco_nix
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
                    I think they're sore about being _made_ sore from across the field, what they can't hit back :-P

                    Grazia

                    blaidddwrg <blaidddwrg@...> wrote:

                    >okay, you made your point, fighter loves and support the arts and
                    >sciences. now if they could just show a little more love and tolerance
                    >for archery.
                    >moira

                  • Marilee Humason
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
                      I am constantly being reminded that the SCA is based on fighting. Period. everything else was added afterward. Fighting will always be considered first every time, then Arts, then the redheaded step child, which is Bardic. I suggest also making it available more than one day and time if possible, but face it, everyone who wants to go, wont be able to. Get over it. I have spent the last 34 years trying to.
                      regards,
                      Baroness Anastasia
                      Past A&S Champion
                      Past Bardic Champion
                      Antir
                      Glenn Abhann

                      Sister of the Golden Swan
                      Order of the Illirium

                      ________________________________
                      > ahhh jadwiga, i admire your optimism. i find that fighters are only a
                      > little more likely to visit an a & s display than they are to visit the
                      > archery range. a little sour, you say? i fear so. i also fear i am right.
                      > still, it is worth a try.
                      > moira nic connell the strongbow

                      (laugh)

                      Well, I actually make this request based on personal experience. There
                      have been a number of times I've gone to take the tapestry down because the
                      display time was wrapping up and it happened to coincide with the end of
                      the tourney. My take-down was delayed by a couple hours as all the people
                      who had seen it over the course of the day had then grabbed their fighter
                      friends fresh from the list field (still fully armored and panting with
                      sweat) to frog-march them into the A&S room. It wasn't just the fighters
                      either, but the whole fighter support staff who tend to spend most of their
                      time at the list field (water bearers, marshals, list masters/mistresses,
                      consorts, anyone feeding/armoring/dressing said fighters, you get the idea)

                      In fact, wasn't so long ago the request was made to put the tapestry *back*
                      up during crown tourney (the day after the A&S display) by the list
                      field/thrones so that way everyone who'd been fighting the day before could
                      get a chance to see it. I don't think that its a general disinterest on
                      any fighter's part for not visiting A&S, its just that _everything_ always
                      happens at the same time and there's only just so many hours in the day to
                      do the things you want. In a weekend event, things have to be packed
                      up/moved out to make space for either feast or dancing and we only rent out
                      the rooms for a limited amount of time - things can't be up for extended
                      times (or even over night!). For a space where we have 24 hr
                      access/staffing, there's no reason we _couldn't_ do later/extended/24 hr
                      displays in order to give access to all the people that already have their
                      day-walking time eaten up by their primary passions (or obligations). I'd
                      much rather put the tapestry up at noon and take it down at 10 pm that
                      night than to roll out of bed early to get it up to take it down by 3 pm
                      before the last battle isn't even started.

                      Granted, I have less to worry about in putting up the tapestry and leaving
                      it hang for a day or two for people to wander by at their leisure. It
                      would be very hard for someone to walk off with it should I decide I'm
                      going to spend a few hours at the list field watching the husband fight -
                      or maybe eat - or take a nap. If someone did mange to walk off with it, I
                      would anticipate it being easy to track down as its very hard to hide and
                      what are they going to do with it once they have it? I don't know what I'm
                      going to do with it.

                      Jadwiga
                      Tapestry Chick

                    • Susan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
                        Hey folks.

                        I am the founder of the A&S 50 Challenge, and I spent yesterday figuring out what Pennsic classes I could go to around the rattan battles I want to attend and photograph. Some spots proved tough choices, and I'll leave some battles early, but some are sacrosanct, like the unbelted champions battle, and the only way you'll get me off the field, away from the fighters I support, is if I'm too hot to be safe.

                        We get hundreds of artisans together for bardic extravaganzas, Universities, and A&S displays, but, simply put, we do mostly individual sports. Miss one person skating, and you can still watch the next. Rattan fighting isn't like that. Fencing isn't even like that, due to smaller numbers of participants. Archery, TW, etc, are, like us, mostly individuals getting together to do our things in good company.

                        We usually call these events 'going to War' for a reason. The rattan combat IS that reason. They are why these huge events exist in the first place. The pageantry and gallantry of those early fights are why the SCA exists, not that we owe them anything for it. And those fighters? Most of them appreciate finely made and beautiful things, and most of them appreciate the work that goes into perfecting our skills. They are just too dang tired at the end of the day to prioritize coming to see our stuff. I will miss some interesting classes to go photograph and support them, as is my choice. I don't think this means that I take my A&S less seriously, I think it means that I can do A&S stuff year round, can even google the teachers of classes I miss, but I can only see the field battle at Pennsic that one day, during those set hours. Just as scribal or bardic aren't for all artisans, fighting isn't for all Scadians, but without scribes we have no scrolls, without bardic we have no songs at our feasts nor stories round our campfires. Without fighters, we have no gross motor to pair with our fine, no battle cries to pair with our songs, no examples of strength to offset with pure grace. We need that balance. I cherish it, and am inspired by it.

                        We all matter. There is enough room for all of us.

                        Albreda

                      • faridaalhadiati
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
                          Well said, Albreda-san!

                          This is one of the beauties of the SCA — there is room for everyone. I'm not sure how things are in other Kingdoms, but here in An Tir, to become a Knight, a fighter must not only be skilled an chivalrous, but also demonstrate ability in dancing, compose a sing. Our Sargeants and Yeomen likewise have do demonstrate some skills in the arts and sciences.

                          Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.

                          YIS
                          Miyamoto no Akikonomu