Greetings and Salutations

  • sidneyeileen
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
      Greetings all! Although I have been attending meetings of the Baron of Starkhafn in Caid for about a year now, I became an official member card-carrying member of the SCA about a month ago. I do not yet have an official SCA name, but I am easy to find online through my real name, Sidney Eileen. I found the A&S50 Challenge through one of the SCA facebook groups, where someone posted a piece they were creating for the challenge.

      I'm an accomplished seamstress and artist, specializing in realistic paintings and drawings, celtic knotwork, and corsetry. Although I look forward to creating medieval clothing, I did not feel that there was enough time left in the challenge for me to create 50 pieces. Instead, I am going to focus my challenge on a brand new craft for me - pewter casting. I was introduced to the art of pewter casting just a couple weeks ago at an A&S workshop, and I found it absolutely delightful. It will take me a bit to get all the materials together to be able to do soapstone carving and pewter casting at my own home, but I am confident I will be able to create 50 pieces in the remaining time. I plan to draw inspiration from historic pieces, although I expect that most of the designs will not be reproductions. A great many will likely feature Celtic knotwork. Items are going to include pendants, buttons, tokens, broaches, pins, rings, and also potentially plates, bowls, and cups.

      I look forward to thoroughly exploring the pewter medium and sharing it with the SCA.
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
        Welcome!

        I love diving into a new passion, so totally relate to this. What a great journey your Challenge will be, taking you from your very first pieces (the ones you have done already can count if you want them to) all the way through dozens more. Your skills and knowledge are going to expand so much, and I can't wait to hear about your progress and discoveries!

        Enjoy!
        Albreda

        On Jul 17, 2013, at 3:58 AM, "sidneyeileen" <sidney@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all! Although I have been attending meetings of the Baron of Starkhafn in Caid for about a year now, I became an official member card-carrying member of the SCA about a month ago. I do not yet have an official SCA name, but I am easy to find online through my real name, Sidney Eileen. I found the A&S50 Challenge through one of the SCA facebook groups, where someone posted a piece they were creating for the challenge.
        >
        > I'm an accomplished seamstress and artist, specializing in realistic paintings and drawings, celtic knotwork, and corsetry. Although I look forward to creating medieval clothing, I did not feel that there was enough time left in the challenge for me to create 50 pieces. Instead, I am going to focus my challenge on a brand new craft for me - pewter casting. I was introduced to the art of pewter casting just a couple weeks ago at an A&S workshop, and I found it absolutely delightful. It will take me a bit to get all the materials together to be able to do soapstone carving and pewter casting at my own home, but I am confident I will be able to create 50 pieces in the remaining time. I plan to draw inspiration from historic pieces, although I expect that most of the designs will not be reproductions. A great many will likely feature Celtic knotwork. Items are going to include pendants, buttons, tokens, broaches, pins, rings, and also potentially plates, bowls, and cup s.
        >
        > I look forward to thoroughly exploring the pewter medium and sharing it with the SCA.

      • Cat Berdanier
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
          Greetings Fellow Challengers,

          I have been asked to work up a plan for the 50 year exhibition of our fine works. We are looking at having a single day of displays in a huge room that should be big enough for all indoor type displays. Pre-Registration will be required for planning purposes but I was wondering about a couple of things that also need to be organized ahead of time:

          What day of the week would you like to see this scheduled for?

          Will there be outdoor type displays for any of our Challengers' work?

          Would performers prefer a separate location or would they like to be in with all the other displays?

          Are they any special needs that might be known at this time?

          Comments?

          Regards,
          Cathryn of Chester
          Middle Kingdom A&S 50 Challenge Coordinator

          SCA 50th Year Anniversary Celebration is being hosted by the Middle Kingdom on June 17-27, 2016, at the Hendricks County 4-H Fairgrounds and Conference Center in Danville, Indiana. www.SCA50year.org

        • Carrot Khan
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
            In the few A&S displays I've been in, I've noticed they always take place
            opposite the fighting and there's a huge swath of the population that never
            sees what's on display. Granted, at smaller events there's only just so
            much time/space in which to keep things up/out and it just isn't feasible
            to either hold A&S open longer or end fighting early. But maybe when
            events are of an extended length - it might be possible to schedule the
            display on a day where there isn't a battle (if such things even exist) or
            to have it open past the time that the battlefield closes so that the other
            half of the SCA can see what the artist are doing?

            Long shot, I know.

            Jadwiga
            Tapestry Chick

            On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Cat Berdanier <baroness_cat@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Greetings Fellow Challengers,
            >
            > I have been asked to work up a plan for the 50 year exhibition of our fine
            > works. We are looking at having a single day of displays in a huge room
            > that should be big enough for all indoor type displays. Pre-Registration
            > will be required for planning purposes but I was wondering about a couple
            > of things that also need to be organized ahead of time:
            >
            > What day of the week would you like to see this scheduled for?
            >
            > Will there be outdoor type displays for any of our Challengers' work?
            >
            > Would performers prefer a separate location or would they like to be in
            > with all the other displays?
            >
            > Are they any special needs that might be known at this time?
            >
            > Comments?
            >
            > Regards,
            > Cathryn of Chester
            > Middle Kingdom A&S 50 Challenge Coordinator
            >
            > SCA 50th Year Anniversary Celebration is being hosted by the Middle
            > Kingdom on June 17-27, 2016, at the Hendricks County 4-H Fairgrounds and
            > Conference Center in Danville, Indiana. www.SCA50year.org

          • Madame du Pont
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
              Bonjour Sidney Eileen,

              Good luck in your pewter work. This challenge has stimulated many people to make things in honor of the upcoming 50 year celebration of the SCA. It is nice of you to enter this quest.

              I, personally, make silk banners, and my goal from when I hear of this challenge about a year ago is to make 50 by the anniversary.

              At some events, people doing the 50 Challenge to get together. There is also a Facebook group.

              Adieu,
              Madame du Pont
              Stayner de silk
              Shire de Glaedenfeld (Nashville)
              Kindgom de Meridies

              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "sidneyeileen" <sidney@...> wrote:

              > Greetings all! Although I have been attending meetings of the Baron of Starkhafn in Caid for about a year now, I became an official member card-carrying member of the SCA about a month ago. I do not yet have an official SCA name, but I am easy to find online through my real name, Sidney Eileen. I found the A&S50 Challenge through one of the SCA facebook groups, where someone posted a piece they were creating for the challenge.
              >
              > I'm an accomplished seamstress and artist, specializing in realistic paintings and drawings, celtic knotwork, and corsetry. Although I look forward to creating medieval clothing, I did not feel that there was enough time left in the challenge for me to create 50 pieces. Instead, I am going to focus my challenge on a brand new craft for me - pewter casting. I was introduced to the art of pewter casting just a couple weeks ago at an A&S workshop, and I found it absolutely delightful. It will take me a bit to get all the materials together to be able to do soapstone carving and pewter casting at my own home, but I am confident I will be able to create 50 pieces in the remaining time. I plan to draw inspiration from historic pieces, although I expect that most of the designs will not be reproductions. A great many will likely feature Celtic knotwork. Items are going to include pendants, buttons, tokens, broaches, pins, rings, and also potentially plates, bowls, and cups.
              >
              > I look forward to thoroughly exploring the pewter medium and sharing it with the SCA.

            • Hillary
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
                Welcome to the list.
                In addition to pewter casting via soapstone, I recently took a class in soldering pewter sheet, very challenging as the metal is so very soft, but loads of fun and options.

                cheers, Hillary - Ansteorra

                --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "sidneyeileen" <sidney@...> wrote:

                > Greetings all! Although I have been attending meetings of the Baron of Starkhafn in Caid for about a year now, I became an official member card-carrying member of the SCA about a month ago. I do not yet have an official SCA name, but I am easy to find online through my real name, Sidney Eileen. I found the A&S50 Challenge through one of the SCA facebook groups, where someone posted a piece they were creating for the challenge.
                >
                > I'm an accomplished seamstress and artist, specializing in realistic paintings and drawings, celtic knotwork, and corsetry. Although I look forward to creating medieval clothing, I did not feel that there was enough time left in the challenge for me to create 50 pieces. Instead, I am going to focus my challenge on a brand new craft for me - pewter casting. I was introduced to the art of pewter casting just a couple weeks ago at an A&S workshop, and I found it absolutely delightful. It will take me a bit to get all the materials together to be able to do soapstone carving and pewter casting at my own home, but I am confident I will be able to create 50 pieces in the remaining time. I plan to draw inspiration from historic pieces, although I expect that most of the designs will not be reproductions. A great many will likely feature Celtic knotwork. Items are going to include pendants, buttons, tokens, broaches, pins, rings, and also potentially plates, bowls, and cups.
                >
                > I look forward to thoroughly exploring the pewter medium and sharing it with the SCA.

              • Christine Vogel
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
                  I'm happy in whatever indoor corner I'm placed.  As an illuminator, all I need is a table in a dry place out of the wind and weather.

                  My big concerns would be display related.  Since 50 Year will draw from all Kingdoms, there will be a lot of different preconceptions as to what is an "appropriate" display.  So here are my questions:

                  How much floor space is allotted?  Are tables provided and of what dimension (including height)?  Will tables be shared? Will tablecloths be provided?  Will table cloths be expected? Can we hang things on the wall behind our tables?  Can we place self supporting banners behind the tables?  What about free standing or tabletop easels?  What is expected in the way of documentation?  Is there a limit to the number of items displayed?  What can be done for larger items such as pavilions, scribes desks or beds?  What about security for small items that could "walk"?  Are comment journals requested?  Are token containers requested?

                  My mind runneth over.  Thank you for taking on this daunting task and I hope I haven't added too much to your already full plate.

                  Be Well - Christine of Marinus
                       (Who is looking forward to this so much that even if she gets stuck on item #36 is still showing up and sharing.)

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
                    Space and display considerations are obviously dependent on the venue, but no documentation will be required, although there are many folks who would be happy to support challengers in creating some if the challengers so desired. This is part of the non-threatening tenet of the Challenge, and is, as far as I'm concerned, 100% non-negotiable.

                    Outdoor/partially covered space for larger, more weather resistant objects, would be terrific, if we can get it in addition to weather-safe indoor space.

                    Albreda

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
                      All wonderful questions Christine. I will present them and try to have more answers for you as we get closer. I would like to compile ideas before setting things in stone.

                      There is one hard and fast rule that Albreda would like to see enforced. Documentation is not required. It is however an optional piece if you wish to use it.

                      As for space, I'm told we have plenty but that is always a relative term. We might have so many pre-reservations that large indoor displays will not be possible, in which case, possibly pictures of the items might be appropriate.

                      A budget has yet to be set. Would people be interested in making donations on the day to cover some costs if we were to have everybody start on an even keel with a note book, a small bowl for tokens, and a pre-printed sign with their name and challenge(s)? I would also like to provide some refreshments for those who are displaying items.

                      Security will probably be up to each individual. Sit with your things during the display or have pictures of the items. This will be a huge exhibition and I can not have eyes on everything. I will try to get volunteers or neighboring Challengers to help stand in for bathroom breaks and the like however.

                      I do not believe we will be doing tablecloths as many people would like to bring what suits their display best.

                      Appropriate display will be up to you, including table top easels. Photo albums, journals, printouts all are acceptable if the items will not be there in person. Free standing pieces should be okay but as yet, I can't tell you how much space. I will check about items up on the walls.

                      Keep the dialogue running so that I can best serve the needs of the many.

                      Regards,
                      Cathryn

                    • Anne of the Fuzzy Hat
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
                        Just another thought for your consideration. While it is great that some space can be set aside specifically for A&S 50 displays - I have been trying to encourage all of my local venues to somehow mark A&S 50 participants in their regular A&S displays. Sometimes this is a special token by the display, sometimes green & yellow ribbons, sometimes simply a note on the description card. It has inspired many a question from the viewers- and been a very quiet way of recruiting others into our wonderful challenge. Our neighbor Barony of Stonemarche (New Hampshire, USA) even has big A&S 50 banners that they encourage participants to add their heraldry to, as a way to indicate they are playing along. A few of us even have small banners to hang at our encampments hoping that other participants will stop by and introduce themselves- of course mine is getting a little sun worn at the moment and the green is looking a bit gray!!! I wish I could be there, but hope to view many pictures from those of you that do attend!
                        Your Fellow Challenger,
                        Anne of the Fuzzy Hat

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
                          ahhh jadwiga, i admire your optimism. i find that fighters are only a little more likely to visit an a & s display than they are to visit the archery range. a little sour, you say? i fear so. i also fear i am right. still, it is worth a try.
                          moira nic connell the strongbow

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
                            > ahhh jadwiga, i admire your optimism. i find that fighters are only a
                            > little more likely to visit an a & s display than they are to visit the
                            > archery range. a little sour, you say? i fear so. i also fear i am right.
                            > still, it is worth a try.
                            > moira nic connell the strongbow

                            (laugh)

                            Well, I actually make this request based on personal experience. There
                            have been a number of times I've gone to take the tapestry down because the
                            display time was wrapping up and it happened to coincide with the end of
                            the tourney. My take-down was delayed by a couple hours as all the people
                            who had seen it over the course of the day had then grabbed their fighter
                            friends fresh from the list field (still fully armored and panting with
                            sweat) to frog-march them into the A&S room. It wasn't just the fighters
                            either, but the whole fighter support staff who tend to spend most of their
                            time at the list field (water bearers, marshals, list masters/mistresses,
                            consorts, anyone feeding/armoring/dressing said fighters, you get the idea)

                            In fact, wasn't so long ago the request was made to put the tapestry *back*
                            up during crown tourney (the day after the A&S display) by the list
                            field/thrones so that way everyone who'd been fighting the day before could
                            get a chance to see it. I don't think that its a general disinterest on
                            any fighter's part for not visiting A&S, its just that _everything_ always
                            happens at the same time and there's only just so many hours in the day to
                            do the things you want. In a weekend event, things have to be packed
                            up/moved out to make space for either feast or dancing and we only rent out
                            the rooms for a limited amount of time - things can't be up for extended
                            times (or even over night!). For a space where we have 24 hr
                            access/staffing, there's no reason we _couldn't_ do later/extended/24 hr
                            displays in order to give access to all the people that already have their
                            day-walking time eaten up by their primary passions (or obligations). I'd
                            much rather put the tapestry up at noon and take it down at 10 pm that
                            night than to roll out of bed early to get it up to take it down by 3 pm
                            before the last battle isn't even started.

                            Granted, I have less to worry about in putting up the tapestry and leaving
                            it hang for a day or two for people to wander by at their leisure. It
                            would be very hard for someone to walk off with it should I decide I'm
                            going to spend a few hours at the list field watching the husband fight -
                            or maybe eat - or take a nap. If someone did mange to walk off with it, I
                            would anticipate it being easy to track down as its very hard to hide and
                            what are they going to do with it once they have it? I don't know what I'm
                            going to do with it.

                            Jadwiga
                            Tapestry Chick

                          • Monique Lyon
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 17, 2013
                              Greetings All,

                              I concur with Jadwiga. My King is both a Knight and a Laurel. He was
                              bestowed his Laurel first and takes the Arts and Sciences quite seriously.
                              He and many of the Laurel/Knights in our kingdom as well as other fighters
                              who both fight and create arts and sciences lament not being able to
                              participate in both.

                              Now, going along with Moira's statement, it is true, despite their love of
                              the arts, they will 9 times out of 10 choose the fighting if it is up
                              against the arts on the schedule and they generally skip archery if
                              fighting is up against it as well.

                              Tourneys and Melees also take the time of consorts, field supporters,
                              heralds, marshals and chirurgeons. So lots of folks miss A&S due to
                              fighting events.

                              If you are able to perhaps offer two or more viewing dates/times, that may
                              help balance the opportunities for viewing.

                              Cheers,

                              Magdalen Venturosa
                              A&S 50 Participant in Atenveldt and
                              Estrella War XXX Main Event Steward (who knows something of scheduling
                              events)

                            • Julie Washington
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 18, 2013
                                Sounds wonderful! Be sure to post photos of your work! Welcome aboard!

                                --
                                Julie E. Washington

                              • gilianaattewatyr
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 18, 2013
                                  Good luck in your new hobby!! I put out my display of 114 in 50 pewter entries this year at Uprising, including two larger constructed vessels. I have mostly been sending my apprentices out to teach of late and one, Countess Clare de Lacy, is likely at least partly to blame for your new time suck. :) Please let me know if there is anything that I can help with, be it sources, documentation, supplies or troubleshooting.

                                  Giliana Attewatyr, OL
                                  amefinch@...

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 18, 2013
                                    Cat, the stuff in your second email sounds workable to me. Perhaps, though,
                                    we could ask participants to bring their own bowl for tokens and notebook?
                                    It could help keep costs down.
                                    I have found (through doing various A&S displays) that some people really
                                    want to be told *exactly* how much space they have. Maybe you could come up
                                    with a "standard space" -- maybe 1/2 of an 6-foot table? Anyone needing
                                    more than that would go into the "large display" category.

                                    Can I make a plea on behalf of the bards? Can a corner of the room be set
                                    aside for bards to do a 10-min. set to represent their Challenge? Music and
                                    storytelling might also pull folks into the display room.

                                    Thanks for great ideas, everyone!

                                    Jolicia atte Northclyfe

                                    On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Cat Berdanier <baroness_cat@...>wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > All wonderful questions Christine. I will present them and try to have
                                    > more answers for you as we get closer. I would like to compile ideas before
                                    > setting things in stone.
                                    >
                                    > There is one hard and fast rule that Albreda would like to see enforced.
                                    > Documentation is not required. It is however an optional piece if you wish
                                    > to use it.
                                    >
                                    > As for space, I'm told we have plenty but that is always a relative term.
                                    > We might have so many pre-reservations that large indoor displays will not
                                    > be possible, in which case, possibly pictures of the items might be
                                    > appropriate.
                                    >
                                    > A budget has yet to be set. Would people be interested in making donations
                                    > on the day to cover some costs if we were to have everybody start on an
                                    > even keel with a note book, a small bowl for tokens, and a pre-printed sign
                                    > with their name and challenge(s)? I would also like to provide some
                                    > refreshments for those who are displaying items.
                                    >
                                    > Security will probably be up to each individual. Sit with your things
                                    > during the display or have pictures of the items. This will be a huge
                                    > exhibition and I can not have eyes on everything. I will try to get
                                    > volunteers or neighboring Challengers to help stand in for bathroom breaks
                                    > and the like however.
                                    >
                                    > I do not believe we will be doing tablecloths as many people would like to
                                    > bring what suits their display best.
                                    >
                                    > Appropriate display will be up to you, including table top easels. Photo
                                    > albums, journals, printouts all are acceptable if the items will not be
                                    > there in person. Free standing pieces should be okay but as yet, I can't
                                    > tell you how much space. I will check about items up on the walls.
                                    >
                                    > Keep the dialogue running so that I can best serve the needs of the many.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    > Cathryn

                                    Julie E. Washington

                                  • sidneyeileen
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 18, 2013
                                      Hi All,

                                      Thank you for the warm welcome. I am replying to multiple people in one post, rather than multiple small posts.

                                      Hillary - Ansteorra: Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't looked into the specifics of how to do it yet, and probably won't until I have a number of successful casts under my belt, but I was thinking that soldering would be worthwhile to be able to create multi-part items, or to bend and seal circular items like rings. It's definitely another aspect to investigate down the road!

                                      Madame du Pont: Would you mind posting a link to the FB group? The only one I found searching was specifically for personas. Is there another one? So far the groups I've seen with the most postings for the A&S50 are the Artisans of the Society for Creative Anachronism group and the SCA Arts and Sciences group.

                                      Giliana Attewatyr: I would actually be grateful for any suggestions on documentation or supplies. At the moment I don't have any supplies, and I'm figuring it will be about two months before I have everything together. I have several places bookmarked for pewter and soapstone, but really I need everything. I'd be grateful for any suggestions on your favorite sources on materials and tools.

                                      As for documentation, I don't have any reference books or materials yet, and a couple forays into internet searching have turned up very little. I haven't figured out an effective search term yet. If you have any books, web sites, or other resources to recommend, I'd be most thankful. :)

                                      I don't have any troubleshooting questions yet, but once I get going with the challenge I'm sure I will.

                                      Thank you,
                                      Sidney Eileen

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
                                        okay, you made your point, fighter loves and support the arts and sciences. now if they could just show a little more love and tolerance for archery.
                                        moira

                                        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Monique Lyon <magdalen67@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                        > > displays in order to give access to all the people that already have their
                                        > > day-walking time eaten up by their primary passions (or obligations). I'd
                                        > > much rather put the tapestry up at noon and take it down at 10 pm that
                                        > > night than to roll out of bed early to get it up to take it down by 3 pm
                                        > > before the last battle isn't even started.
                                        > >
                                        > > Granted, I have less to worry about in putting up the tapestry and leaving
                                        > > it hang for a day or two for people to wander by at their leisure. It
                                        > > would be very hard for someone to walk off with it should I decide I'm
                                        > > going to spend a few hours at the list field watching the husband fight -
                                        > > or maybe eat - or take a nap. If someone did mange to walk off with it, I
                                        > > would anticipate it being easy to track down as its very hard to hide and
                                        > > what are they going to do with it once they have it? I don't know what I'm

                                      • Hillary
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
                                          If I recall, we used regular silver solder on pewter items, but I'll have to go back and check my notes, I'm pretty sure it was the uber-soft silver-solder easy-easy, as opposed to medium solder, since pewter is very soft also.

                                          The pewter teacher advising us to use separate tools for pewter work that what one may use in silver or gold work, as the pewter can contaminate your better metals, he had both sets of tools, books, etc, in two different rooms in his studio, to avoid contamination.

                                          I also may have some documentation or YouTube videos I can point you to, so will try to look for those this weekend and post for all.

                                          Cheers, Hillary

                                          --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "sidneyeileen" <sidney@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi All,
                                          >
                                          > Thank you for the warm welcome. I am replying to multiple people in one post, rather than multiple small posts.
                                          >
                                          > Hillary - Ansteorra: Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't looked into the specifics of how to do it yet, and probably won't until I have a number of successful casts under my belt, but I was thinking that soldering would be worthwhile to be able to create multi-part items, or to bend and seal circular items like rings. It's definitely another aspect to investigate down the road!

                                          <snip>

                                          > Thank you,
                                          > Sidney Eileen

                                        • maco_nix
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
                                            I think they're sore about being _made_ sore from across the field, what they can't hit back :-P

                                            Grazia

                                            blaidddwrg <blaidddwrg@...> wrote:

                                            >okay, you made your point, fighter loves and support the arts and
                                            >sciences. now if they could just show a little more love and tolerance
                                            >for archery.
                                            >moira

                                          • Marilee Humason
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
                                              I am constantly being reminded that the SCA is based on fighting. Period. everything else was added afterward. Fighting will always be considered first every time, then Arts, then the redheaded step child, which is Bardic. I suggest also making it available more than one day and time if possible, but face it, everyone who wants to go, wont be able to. Get over it. I have spent the last 34 years trying to.
                                              regards,
                                              Baroness Anastasia
                                              Past A&S Champion
                                              Past Bardic Champion
                                              Antir
                                              Glenn Abhann

                                              Sister of the Golden Swan
                                              Order of the Illirium

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
                                                Hey folks.

                                                I am the founder of the A&S 50 Challenge, and I spent yesterday figuring out what Pennsic classes I could go to around the rattan battles I want to attend and photograph. Some spots proved tough choices, and I'll leave some battles early, but some are sacrosanct, like the unbelted champions battle, and the only way you'll get me off the field, away from the fighters I support, is if I'm too hot to be safe.

                                                We get hundreds of artisans together for bardic extravaganzas, Universities, and A&S displays, but, simply put, we do mostly individual sports. Miss one person skating, and you can still watch the next. Rattan fighting isn't like that. Fencing isn't even like that, due to smaller numbers of participants. Archery, TW, etc, are, like us, mostly individuals getting together to do our things in good company.

                                                We usually call these events 'going to War' for a reason. The rattan combat IS that reason. They are why these huge events exist in the first place. The pageantry and gallantry of those early fights are why the SCA exists, not that we owe them anything for it. And those fighters? Most of them appreciate finely made and beautiful things, and most of them appreciate the work that goes into perfecting our skills. They are just too dang tired at the end of the day to prioritize coming to see our stuff. I will miss some interesting classes to go photograph and support them, as is my choice. I don't think this means that I take my A&S less seriously, I think it means that I can do A&S stuff year round, can even google the teachers of classes I miss, but I can only see the field battle at Pennsic that one day, during those set hours. Just as scribal or bardic aren't for all artisans, fighting isn't for all Scadians, but without scribes we have no scrolls, without bardic we have no songs at our feasts nor stories round our campfires. Without fighters, we have no gross motor to pair with our fine, no battle cries to pair with our songs, no examples of strength to offset with pure grace. We need that balance. I cherish it, and am inspired by it.

                                                We all matter. There is enough room for all of us.

                                                Albreda

                                              • faridaalhadiati
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 19, 2013
                                                  Well said, Albreda-san!

                                                  This is one of the beauties of the SCA — there is room for everyone. I'm not sure how things are in other Kingdoms, but here in An Tir, to become a Knight, a fighter must not only be skilled an chivalrous, but also demonstrate ability in dancing, compose a sing. Our Sargeants and Yeomen likewise have do demonstrate some skills in the arts and sciences.

                                                  Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.

                                                  YIS
                                                  Miyamoto no Akikonomu