Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] One Challenge Accomplished

  • lilinah-h
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2013
      I thank everyone for their encouragement and suggestions.

      Publishing (on my website or in a Compleat Anachronist) could be a little tricky, since the translations into modern Turkish are under copyright. If only i cold find someone who knows Eski Osmanli! Because i'm sure the original manuscript is not copyright protected and i have a CD of the original manuscript, thanks to Charles Perry. I can transliterate it - it's in the Ottoman form of the Persian form of the Arabic alif-ba - but i can't read it.

      Still, it may not be as problematic as my translation of Yerasimos's book. I tried to contact the French publisher multiple times to see if i could get permission to publish. I still believe the information in it would be of interest to speakers of English and i have no desire to violate copyright. To me, while the 2 dozen or so Ottoman recipes were great to have - and i have taught multiple classes cooking from them and did a whole Ottoman feast several years ago - the information in the book - about what different classes of Palace inhabitants ate, about the kitchens in the palace, about what was served at feasts and celebrations, and more - would be of interest to food historians. I have taught classes on the subject, using Yerasimos and a number of other books.

      I won't be at Pennsic this year or next; i'm saving my money for a trip to Bali in 2014 to perform with Gamelan Sekar Jaya. But i will test cook some my recently translated recipes in the Cooks camp at the West-An Tir War this year; i will likely teach some at the West Coast Culinary Symposium in Caid next year; and i'll probably at Pennsic in 2015, although i will be less ambitious than i was in 2012 - 4 hands-on cooking classes was quite a logistical challenge - so i'll limit it to 2 hands-on cooking classes and 2 lecture classes.

      Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM)
      the personal formerly known as Anahita

      Dar Anahita
      http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/