Cordials, Kumihimo, and Coordinator? Oh my!

  • Carrissa Burge
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
      This might get posted twice - I don't know what I was thinking when I tried to post this - it's early, and I haven't slept much ...

      Greetings! Whew ... I realized it had been some time since I'd caught up with this list when I had twenty digests in my inbox.  So I'm caught up now.  May 1st is Siegfried's and my wedding anniversary, so it makes the Challenge's (and SCA's) birthday easy to remember!  I put Coordinator in the subject line because I'd love to see our Kingdom (Middle) get a Coordinator, but not sure I want to take it on myself, nor that my hubby would let me!

      Update on my cordial "experiments" - success is mine!!  Back info - I put rum over some leftover strawberries we used at work for a cheesecake, and I let it sit for a couple weeks (well, closer to a month).  I also started a couple more - one with cherries/vodka-based, and one with rasperries/vodka-based, and a peach/vodka-based one.  The first strawberry one (after straining through a single layer of cheesecloth over a wire mesh strainer, then filtered twice through a coffee filter) won RAVE reviews at our Baronial A&S meeting the weekend before last!  I strained and filtered the others, and they taste delicious to me and my husband, and I can't wait to trial them at our Baronial business meeting on Thursday (no, not in the actual business meeting - it's in a public library - heh - but I will have some small bottles to give out).  So there's one more skill learned, which makes for two.  I've gotten so excited about it that I've added another "subchallenge" to that skill - make 50 bottles before the deadline!  I will have to document each one in a database so I can keep track.  So far, besides the ones above, I just started last week five more, including one with mango! (I know, not exactly a period fruit, but, hey, it EXISTED back then, didn't it? :>))  I don't want to post pics of the cordials, because I had them in Mason jars up until a couple days ago (everyone kept making fun of me for the Mason jars, so I invested in some EZ cap bottles and will keep them in there).  But I will try to take photos of them doing their thing with the fruit, because I AM doing that part in a large Mason jar.

      Speaking of learned skills (since my challenge is to learn 50 new skills), my first was kumihimo, Japanese cord braiding.  I finally got around to taking photos of my first finished cords, and will post them shortly.  BTW - if you need braiding for an outfit or otherwise, these cords were made for something that didn't pan out, so if you would like them, wonderful, I will send them to you.  I have one that is navy/white, one that is silverwhite/maroon, and two that are red/gold.  Just email me your snail mail address, and I'll send them on.  They're really long, like four or six feet.

      I'm done babbling now, and return you to your regular list postings ...

      Jonet of Keyth
      m/k/a Carrie Burge
      Barony of Illiton
      Middle Kingdom

    • Albreda Aylese
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Carrissa Burge
        <sigfrds_lady@...> wrote:
        I put Coordinator in the subject line because I'd love to see our
        Kingdom (Middle) get a Coordinator, but not sure I want to take it on
        myself, nor that my hubby would let me!

        Yup, the Midrealm could use a Coordinator, but having folks working on
        the Challenge in their own ways *before* Mid officially gets one will
        make it that much easier for someone to step in as KC; they'll already
        have a Team in place!

        > Update on my cordial "experiments" - success is mine!! Back info - I
        put rum over some leftover strawberries we used at work for a
        cheesecake, and I let it sit for a couple weeks (well, closer to a
        month). (snip) So there's one more skill learned, which makes for two.
        I've gotten so excited about it that I've added another
        > "subchallenge" to that skill - make 50 bottles before the deadline!

        And now we know why you have no time. ;) Good for you though - these
        sound really interesting, (and yummy, too!)

        > Speaking of learned skills (since my challenge is to learn 50 new
        skills), my first was kumihimo, Japanese cord braiding. BTW - if you
        need braiding for an outfit or otherwise, these cords were made for
        something that didn't pan out, so if you would like them, wonderful, I
        will send them to you.

        That is MOST generous of you! For folks that don't know, Kumihimo is
        erally fancy multi-strand braiding that makes virtually indestructible
        cording; it is what holds all of the pieces of Japanese armor
        together! It is also HARD; a friend of mine was learning years ago,
        and it takes a LOT of patience and focus. Good for you Jonet, for
        tackling it! I'm sure someone will be happy to take it off your hands;
        maybe even someone working on a Japanese persona Challenge! :)

        Enjoy, and thanks for the update!
        Albreda
      • Catriona A. Morganosa
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008

          Heck, I’ll take them off your hands and CREATE a Japanese persona! Personally, I’d like to see what these cords look like up close.

          Stâpanâ Catriona Morganosa, OP

          They tried to make Chuck Norris toilet paper but it didn't work because Chuck Norris doesn't take crap off anyone.

          I put Coordinator in the subject line because I'd love to see our
          Kingdom (Middle) get a Coordinator, but not sure I want to take it on
          myself, nor that my hubby would let me!

          Yup, the Midrealm could use a Coordinator, but having folks working on
          the Challenge in their own ways *before* Mid officially gets one will
          make it that much easier for someone to step in as KC; they'll already
          have a Team in place!

          > Update on my cordial "experiments" - success is mine!! Back info
          - I
          put rum over some leftover strawberries we used at work for a
          cheesecake, and I let it sit for a couple weeks (well, closer to a
          month). (snip) So there's one more skill learned, which makes for two.
          I've gotten so excited about it that I've added another
          > "subchallenge" to that skill - make 50 bottles before the
          deadline!

          And now we know why you have no time. ;) Good for you though - these
          sound really interesting, (and yummy, too!)

          > Speaking of learned skills (since my challenge is to learn 50 new
          skills), my first was kumihimo, Japanese cord braiding. BTW - if you
          need braiding for an outfit or otherwise, these cords were made for
          something that didn't pan out, so if you would like them, wonderful, I
          will send them to you.

          That is MOST generous of you! For folks that don't know, Kumihimo is
          erally fancy multi-strand braiding that makes virtually indestructible
          cording; it is what holds all of the pieces of Japanese armor
          together! It is also HARD; a friend of mine was learning years ago,
          and it takes a LOT of patience and focus. Good for you Jonet, for
          tackling it! I'm sure someone will be happy to take it off your hands;
          maybe even someone working on a Japanese persona Challenge! :)

          Enjoy, and thanks for the update!

          Checked by AVG.

        • Albreda Aylese
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
            --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Catriona A.
            Morganosa" <catriona_a_morganosa@...> wrote:

            > Heck, I'll take them off your hands and CREATE a Japanese persona!
            > Personally, I'd like to see what these cords look like up close.

            Uh oh. I think that was the warning bell that another person is about
            to be sucked into the vortex of the morudai (the cylindrical 'loom'
            that one braids these suckers on, using spools to weight the ends of
            each thread.)

            Enjoy!
            AA
          • Catriona A. Morganosa
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008

              Oh, I often take visits to the Dark Side Mall and Eatery. They have cookies. I do refrain from the Dark Side Pub and Grill though. Their karaoke crowd is a little too young for my tastes.

              Stâpanâ Catriona Morganosa, OP

              They tried to make Chuck Norris toilet paper but it didn't work because Chuck Norris doesn't take crap off anyone.

              > Heck, I'll take them off your hands and CREATE a Japanese persona!
              > Personally, I'd like to see what these cords look like up close.

              Uh oh. I think that was the warning bell that another person is about
              to be sucked into the vortex of the morudai (the cylindrical 'loom'
              that one braids these suckers on, using spools to weight the ends of
              each thread.)

              Enjoy!
              AA

              Checked by AVG.

            • Anplica Fiore
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
                Cordials are great! They'll make you many friends around campfires.
                :) I have a couple aging myself that will be part of this challenge -
                one is a watermelon-vodka (the competition it's entering has some
                interesting required ingredients) and another is a raspberry in brandy
                with vanilla. All I can say is YUMMO!! I am looking forward to
                enjoying these and also sharing them with others.

                Last year for the same competition, I entered a Spiced Lychee vodka
                cordial that to my surprise won the contest. Basically, we're given a
                list of 10 ingredients that range from odd to common (this year's
                includes raspberry, pepper/grains of paradise, vanilla bean, beet,
                watermelon and more) and each entry must include at least 2 of them.
                It's a lot of fun!

                I hope you enjoy cordial making as much as I do!

                An

                --
                Anpliça Fiore
                Keythong & Ministraro Herald - Kingdom of Northshield

                Blazon: Argent, a tulip inverted azure slipped and leaved vert between
                flaunches azure.
                Personal Motto: Fare Del Bene
              • katerinkalvovicha
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2008
                  --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Anplica Fiore"
                  <anplica@...> wrote:

                  > Cordials are great! They'll make you many friends around campfires.
                  > :) I have a couple aging myself that will be part of this challenge -
                  > one is a watermelon-vodka (the competition it's entering has some
                  > interesting required ingredients) and another is a raspberry in brandy
                  > with vanilla. All I can say is YUMMO!! I am looking forward to
                  > enjoying these and also sharing them with others.

                  Cordials are soooooo much fun. I have three quarts of pumpkin pie
                  cordial sitting at home at my mom and dad's place. I didn't strain it
                  before I left (oops) so I talked dad through it over the phone! Mom
                  thinks I'm crazy, but dad thinks I'm a bloody genius!

                  This summer, I'm going to try a cucumber cordial. If it works out the
                  way I hope it will (cooling but not bitter) I'll be using that as part
                  of my "stuff I can barter in order to get stuff I want but can't make"
                  chest that I am preparing for events this summer. Actually, come to
                  think of it, that's where a lot of my A&S50 material projects are
                  going to end up. Ooooo, maybe I could put my lesson plans in there?
                  That'd be fun too.

                  Scheming like only A&S50'ers can, I remain ever in service...

                  Katerinka
                • happycat4691
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2008
                    I just added a photo with 2 examples of Kumihimo cord, one using four bobbins and one
                    using eight bobbins. It is really simple to learn using four bobbins and makes cord pretty
                    quickly. You can make a braiding stand out of sturdy cardboard and use spools of thread
                    for the bobbins - just wrap your cord threads on top of the thread that is already there. I
                    used a spool of solder for a center weight and attached it with some scrap wire that was
                    laying around; a twist tie would have worked just as well. So don't be intimidated by the
                    cost of supplies - you can do Kumihimo with stuff that is lying around your house! That
                    said, it is nicer to use a nice wooden braiding stand. I am in the process of making
                    several to experiment with different woods and get practice. They are not all perfect and
                    probably won't be ready for a few weeks but I'd be happy to send one (just the stand, not
                    the bobbins) to someone who will reimburse me for cost of materials and shipping (I
                    don't think I spent more than $10 in materials on any one stand). Check out my blog,
                    www.medievalartcraft.blogspot.com and scroll down to find the post "Maru dai bobbins"
                    from March 21st to see a picture. So far I am making stands using oak, maple and birch. I
                    have three extra in progress and I am going to the wood store (aka crack den) for more. A
                    nice maple stand (more beautiful than mine) sells at Lacis for over $100.

                    -Kathy

                    P. S. Kumihimo and woodworking projects are both part of my A&S 50 challenge for
                    learning new things.