pickles

  • blaidddwrg
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15 11:42 AM
      another blast from the shotgun school of a & s project. in the past month i and a couple friends armed with patience and sharp objects pickled 11 quarts of carrots & parsnips, 10 quarts of beets, 7 quarts of grapes and 3 quarts of mushrooms for northshield crown tourney held last weekend in jararvellir. i thing the grapes are good alone but on vanilla ice cream they are amazing. the mushrooms went well on top of couscous. i don't think i will be doing that much pickling all at once anytime soon but it was interesting. i also finished a tunic with embroidery and a little pair of shoes for a friend's infant son. pictures up later today.
      yours in vinegary goodness
      moira nic connell the strongbow
      northshield
    • Elewyiss SCA
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15 12:02 PM
        Are you willing to share your recipes? I'd love a pickled beet and pickled
        mushroom recipe. I had some home pickled squash and zucchini the other week
        and it was soooo good. It inspired me.

        Elewyiss

        Ro'ah Chatulim

        On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 2:42 PM, blaidddwrg <blaidddwrg@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > another blast from the shotgun school of a & s project. in the past month
        > i and a couple friends armed with patience and sharp objects pickled 11
        > quarts of carrots & parsnips, 10 quarts of beets, 7 quarts of grapes and 3
        > quarts of mushrooms for northshield crown tourney held last weekend in
        > jararvellir. i thing the grapes are good alone but on vanilla ice cream
        > they are amazing. the mushrooms went well on top of couscous. i don't think
        > i will be doing that much pickling all at once anytime soon but it was
        > interesting. i also finished a tunic with embroidery and a little pair of
        > shoes for a friend's infant son. pictures up later today.
        > yours in vinegary goodness
        > moira nic connell the strongbow
        > northshield

      • Ashlyn
        Message 3 of 6 , May 15 12:11 PM
          I've never heard of pickled grapes! The Crown tourney buffet looked amazing, so sad I couldn't go. Any chance you would share the recipes?

          Adalia
          Northshield

          On 2013-05-15, at 1:42 PM, "blaidddwrg" <blaidddwrg@...> wrote:

          > another blast from the shotgun school of a & s project. in the past month i and a couple friends armed with patience and sharp objects pickled 11 quarts of carrots & parsnips, 10 quarts of beets, 7 quarts of grapes and 3 quarts of mushrooms for northshield crown tourney held last weekend in jararvellir. i thing the grapes are good alone but on vanilla ice cream they are amazing. the mushrooms went well on top of couscous. i don't think i will be doing that much pickling all at once anytime soon but it was interesting. i also finished a tunic with embroidery and a little pair of shoes for a friend's infant son. pictures up later today.
          > yours in vinegary goodness
          > moira nic connell the strongbow
          > northshield

        • blaidddwrg
          Message 4 of 6 , May 17 7:22 AM
            please, anything can and was pickled. let's face it in rainy northern europe drying happened but pickling was more reliable and more likely to provide you with food through the winter. also, i cannot take credit for the recipe. you need to find a copy of linda ziedrich's book The Joy of Pickling. while there are some recipes that may require a bit of specialized equipment it is overall a very user friendly book. one tip i can give you is, even if you have a dishwasher, hand wash your jars and inspect closely for chips and cracks. rinse and put in the oven. set to 220F and once the oven comes to temp set your timer for 15 min. jars with be sterile and dry.
            happy pickling and see you on the range

            --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Ashlyn <ashlyn.noble@...> wrote:

            > I've never heard of pickled grapes! The Crown tourney buffet looked amazing, so sad I couldn't go. Any chance you would share the recipes?
            >
            > Adalia
            > Northshield
            >

            > On 2013-05-15, at 1:42 PM, "blaidddwrg" <blaidddwrg@...> wrote:
            >
            > > another blast from the shotgun school of a & s project. in the past month i and a couple friends armed with patience and sharp objects pickled 11 quarts of carrots & parsnips, 10 quarts of beets, 7 quarts of grapes and 3 quarts of mushrooms for northshield crown tourney held last weekend in jararvellir. i thing the grapes are good alone but on vanilla ice cream they are amazing. the mushrooms went well on top of couscous. i don't think i will be doing that much pickling all at once anytime soon but it was interesting. i also finished a tunic with embroidery and a little pair of shoes for a friend's infant son. pictures up later today.
            > > yours in vinegary goodness
            > > moira nic connell the strongbow
            > > northshield

          • Kudrun Pilegrim
            Message 5 of 6 , May 20 6:43 PM
              The parsnips were the surprise hit. I loved them, and I'm not much of a pickled anything fan. The other pickles were good, but the parsnips... yum.Kudrun

              Message 6 of 6 , May 23 9:34 AM
                next time i will steam the parsnips for a little longer. these had a little more tooth than i expected.
                moira