Happy Birthday and New Website Under Development

  • Susan Bingham
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2013
      Happy Birthday to us!

      We are two years out from the start of AS 50! LOTS of time to do projects, develop our personas, or learn wonderful things, each of which is both easier and more fun when we do them together, at least virtually!

      I have *FINALLY* started, and made serious inroads, on our new wordpress-based website. I had thought that I needed wordpress on our actual site, and was trying to find someone to make that possible in an inexpensive way, but realized I could just post a redirect button on our existing site to a free wordpress site. Not elegant, but something I can do myself, and which leaves me with more budget for string and gas. :)

      So, I've moved over all the content from our original (omg fuddy-duddy-looking) site to our new one, and have created a page for each kingdom, so that should make it easier to find things/people/events specific to each of our areas.

      One of the things that I would really like to do (and which I will crosslink to relevant kingdom pages) is start interviewing people who have either finished their Challenges, who have most of their Challenge met, or who are doing something just seriously nifty. These interviews would constitute the front page blog posts of the website, since this isn't about the overarching thing, or even 50 years of the SCA, but each of our independent journeys in our A&S studies and community. These interviews can be conducted by myself or others, or can even be self-conducted after I put together a list of questions that I think would be fun to have answered by folks, and I'm open to suggestion as to what those questions could be! We could even do the interviews via gchat, then I could summarize out written answers for folks who missed the live feeds... what do you think?

      Anyway, a blog, even with stellar words, is really only as fun as its imagery, so please start taking pictures of your work, of yourselves doing your work, etc, and yes, I believe that we have the ability to embed media as well, or I'll find one, so we can at least link to any performances you'd like to share with us. I am also listing Challenger blogs in a sidebar, so if you have one, please watch this space in the next week or so for when I start a thread asking for your URLs!

      What else would you like to see on our website? Any wordpress gurus out there I can ping questions off of, to see if what you want is something I can make happen for us?

      We have two years to go, and lots and lots to learn and share, so let's get to it!

      Enjoy!

    • celticdragon38
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2013
        That all sounds great! I like the idea of interviewing people about their projects. Do the BOMTICC tapestry first! :D
        I'm going to be making the move to wordpress soon for my Shire's website, so I'll be eavesdropping on any tips you get here.
        Thanks for all your hard work,Albreda,
        Aritê
      • Cat Berdanier

          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2013
            Yes, that might be good to get a list of everyone who has been doing their '50' and what they are doing, status update!  Good idea.  Then we can see who is doing what.

            Cheers,
            Mme du Pont
            Kindgom de Meridies

            "Gules, a swan naiant within a bordure argent"