Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Hi from Trimaris

  • Susan Bingham
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2013
      Greetings, Lady Elßlin! (Yes, I totally just cut and paste your name, as I have no idea how to make that character on my keyboard.)

      "My plan is to make 50 different style of pouches and pockets from any period and culture. If it was used for storage on a person's body, then I want to try my hand at making it. I weave so some will use fabric that I make myself, but I'm not sure at this point if I will make all of the fabric for all of them. I will. Donate some to gift baskets, and give others away to the good people I know."

      What a fun idea! I love seeing things like this! Welcome to the Challenge!

      Enjoy!

    • Elßlin Rewß
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 22, 2013
        Thanks! I totally get the cut and paste.

        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Susan Bingham <AlbredaA@...> wrote:

        > Greetings, Lady Elßlin! (Yes, I totally just cut and paste your name, as I have no idea how to make that character on my keyboard.)
        >

        > "My plan is to make 50 different style of pouches and pockets from any period and culture. If it was used for storage on a person's body, then I want to try my hand at making it. I weave so some will use fabric that I make myself, but I'm not sure at this point if I will make all of the fabric for all of them. I will. Donate some to gift baskets, and give others away to the good people I know."
        >

        > What a fun idea! I love seeing things like this! Welcome to the Challenge!
        >

        > Enjoy!
        > Albreda

      • Diane
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 22, 2013
          >I weave so some will use fabric that I make myself, but I'm not sure at this point if I will make all of the fabric for all of them.

          Sounds like a wonderful project, though you may find a lot wider range of materials than fabric.
          I have seen some lovely sweete bags of mother-of-pearl. I am still looking for large molusc shells to try one. I figure it will take a number of attempts as I am bound to break the first 5 shells :).
          Will your project go as far as arrow bags and quivers? These can include basketry, fabric, leather....combinations of all of the above!
          So much research - so much fun!!
          YIS
          Claricia filia Wilelmi dapiferi
        • Elßlin Rewß
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22, 2013
            I was actually thinking about basketry, something that I have always wanted to try, but the idea of a quiver is a great one, I actually started one 2 years ago as part of a household class and still need to complete it.
            Thanks for your idea, so far my first project will be a smimple one, a roman bulla.

            I hope to find someone to teach me basketry, I have yet to really see any classes at event here in and around darkwater.

            I will keep on the look out for the shells, that would be an awesome project too! If I find any I will be sure to post about it.