Re: is there a best way to clean scissors?

  • blaidddwrg
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
      years, i mean decades, ago i caught my husband using my good sewing scissors to cut plastic sprue off his models. grrrrrr. bad husband. i bought a new pair and made a scabbard with bells sewn on. ding-a-ling. put them back and use your own damned scissors! my sewing scissors get used on fabric and only fabric. i have scissors and shears for leather, paper, plastic and you name it. don't play games, just get a new pair and tag the old ones fubar.
      moira nic connell the strongbow
      f***** up beyond all repair

      --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@...> wrote:

      > I just discovered that for the last 2-3 days my husband has been using my sewing shears as household all-purpose scissors. Packing tape, cardboard boxes, landscaping fabric... <expletive deleted>.
      >
      > Any suggestions on where I should start to get the gunk off? I'm hoping that once they're clean they'll still *cut* clean. Sigh.
      >
      > Susanna de l'Essart

    • Dee Cadoret
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
        Goo-B-Gone works very well on sticky glue residues. Put some on an old
        piece of t-shirt and rub at the gluey stuff until it comes off. For
        really thick areas just repeat the process until they are clean once more.

        On 14/04/2013 2:43 PM, blaidddwrg wrote:
        > years, i mean decades, ago i caught my husband using my good sewing scissors to cut plastic sprue off his models. grrrrrr. bad husband. i bought a new pair and made a scabbard with bells sewn on. ding-a-ling. put them back and use your own damned scissors! my sewing scissors get used on fabric and only fabric. i have scissors and shears for leather, paper, plastic and you name it. don't play games, just get a new pair and tag the old ones fubar.
        > moira nic connell the strongbow
        > f***** up beyond all repair
        >
        > --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@...> wrote:
        >> I just discovered that for the last 2-3 days my husband has been using my sewing shears as household all-purpose scissors. Packing tape, cardboard boxes, landscaping fabric... <expletive deleted>.
        >>
        >> Any suggestions on where I should start to get the gunk off? I'm hoping that once they're clean they'll still *cut* clean. Sigh.
        >>
        >> Susanna de l'Essart

      • Nancy McKay
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
          On 4/14/2013 6:21 PM, Dee Cadoret wrote:

          > Goo-B-Gone works very well on sticky glue residues. Put some on an old
          > piece of t-shirt and rub at the gluey stuff until it comes off. For
          > really thick areas just repeat the process until they are clean once more.
          >
          > On 14/04/2013 2:43 PM, blaidddwrg wrote:
          > > years, i mean decades, ago i caught my husband using my good sewing
          > scissors to cut plastic sprue off his models. grrrrrr. bad husband. i
          > bought a new pair and made a scabbard with bells sewn on. ding-a-ling.
          > put them back and use your own damned scissors! my sewing scissors get
          > used on fabric and only fabric. i have scissors and shears for
          > leather, paper, plastic and you name it. don't play games, just get a
          > new pair and tag the old ones fubar.
          > > moira nic connell the strongbow
          > > f***** up beyond all repair
          > >
          > > --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:AandS50ChallengeCommunity%40yahoogroups.com>, "Suzanne"
          > <sovagris@...> wrote:
          > >> I just discovered that for the last 2-3 days my husband has been
          > using my sewing shears as household all-purpose scissors. Packing
          > tape, cardboard boxes, landscaping fabric... <expletive deleted>.
          > >>
          > >> Any suggestions on where I should start to get the gunk off? I'm
          > hoping that once they're clean they'll still *cut* clean. Sigh.
          > >>
          > >> Susanna de l'Essart

          Yes, Goo-Gone is a wonderful product but it can't possibly repair the
          tiny little dings and knicks that using scissors on anything but fabric
          create. I don't even use my good sewing sheers on metallic embroidery
          floss. Donate the used ones to your husband and tell him if he so much
          as looks at the new ones he may just find out how sharp they are.

          ....leaving things to one's imagination.....

          Nadyezhda the Simple

        • Dragondancer
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 15, 2013
            It may sound blasphemous...but I use SOS pads.
            Mevanou