is there a best way to clean scissors?

  • Suzanne
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13, 2013
      I just discovered that for the last 2-3 days my husband has been using my sewing shears as household all-purpose scissors. Packing tape, cardboard boxes, landscaping fabric... <expletive deleted>.

      Any suggestions on where I should start to get the gunk off? I'm hoping that once they're clean they'll still *cut* clean. Sigh.

      Susanna de l'Essart
    • Sioux McGill
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 13, 2013
        They are dead to you. Make him buy you a new one and put the black
        string of death on the new pair. Thats what I did after my kids ruined
        mine and they were warned they were dead if they ever touched those
        scissors. Shoshana

        On 4/13/2013 12:00 PM, Suzanne wrote:

        > I just discovered that for the last 2-3 days my husband has been using
        > my sewing shears as household all-purpose scissors. Packing tape,
        > cardboard boxes, landscaping fabric... <expletive deleted>.
        >
        > Any suggestions on where I should start to get the gunk off? I'm
        > hoping that once they're clean they'll still *cut* clean. Sigh.
        >
        > Susanna de l'Essart

      • Rhiannon Hood
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 13, 2013
          Goo-gone rocks!

          Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note® II

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 13, 2013
            My spouse swears by using the scissors to cut fine sandpaper for
            cleaning/sharpening them. I've never tried it myself, but my scissors are
            always clean and sharp after he does that to them.

            ~Elinor Strangewayes

            On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Rhiannon Hood <rhiannon_morgaine@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Goo-gone rocks!
            >
            > Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note� II

          • blaidddwrg
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
              years, i mean decades, ago i caught my husband using my good sewing scissors to cut plastic sprue off his models. grrrrrr. bad husband. i bought a new pair and made a scabbard with bells sewn on. ding-a-ling. put them back and use your own damned scissors! my sewing scissors get used on fabric and only fabric. i have scissors and shears for leather, paper, plastic and you name it. don't play games, just get a new pair and tag the old ones fubar.
              moira nic connell the strongbow
              f***** up beyond all repair

              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@...> wrote:

              > I just discovered that for the last 2-3 days my husband has been using my sewing shears as household all-purpose scissors. Packing tape, cardboard boxes, landscaping fabric... <expletive deleted>.
              >
              > Any suggestions on where I should start to get the gunk off? I'm hoping that once they're clean they'll still *cut* clean. Sigh.
              >
              > Susanna de l'Essart

            • Dee Cadoret
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
                Goo-B-Gone works very well on sticky glue residues. Put some on an old
                piece of t-shirt and rub at the gluey stuff until it comes off. For
                really thick areas just repeat the process until they are clean once more.

                On 14/04/2013 2:43 PM, blaidddwrg wrote:
                > years, i mean decades, ago i caught my husband using my good sewing scissors to cut plastic sprue off his models. grrrrrr. bad husband. i bought a new pair and made a scabbard with bells sewn on. ding-a-ling. put them back and use your own damned scissors! my sewing scissors get used on fabric and only fabric. i have scissors and shears for leather, paper, plastic and you name it. don't play games, just get a new pair and tag the old ones fubar.
                > moira nic connell the strongbow
                > f***** up beyond all repair
                >
                > --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@...> wrote:
                >> I just discovered that for the last 2-3 days my husband has been using my sewing shears as household all-purpose scissors. Packing tape, cardboard boxes, landscaping fabric... <expletive deleted>.
                >>
                >> Any suggestions on where I should start to get the gunk off? I'm hoping that once they're clean they'll still *cut* clean. Sigh.
                >>
                >> Susanna de l'Essart

              • Nancy McKay
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
                  On 4/14/2013 6:21 PM, Dee Cadoret wrote:

                  > Goo-B-Gone works very well on sticky glue residues. Put some on an old
                  > piece of t-shirt and rub at the gluey stuff until it comes off. For
                  > really thick areas just repeat the process until they are clean once more.
                  >
                  > On 14/04/2013 2:43 PM, blaidddwrg wrote:
                  > > years, i mean decades, ago i caught my husband using my good sewing
                  > scissors to cut plastic sprue off his models. grrrrrr. bad husband. i
                  > bought a new pair and made a scabbard with bells sewn on. ding-a-ling.
                  > put them back and use your own damned scissors! my sewing scissors get
                  > used on fabric and only fabric. i have scissors and shears for
                  > leather, paper, plastic and you name it. don't play games, just get a
                  > new pair and tag the old ones fubar.
                  > > moira nic connell the strongbow
                  > > f***** up beyond all repair
                  > >
                  > > --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:AandS50ChallengeCommunity%40yahoogroups.com>, "Suzanne"
                  > <sovagris@...> wrote:
                  > >> I just discovered that for the last 2-3 days my husband has been
                  > using my sewing shears as household all-purpose scissors. Packing
                  > tape, cardboard boxes, landscaping fabric... <expletive deleted>.
                  > >>
                  > >> Any suggestions on where I should start to get the gunk off? I'm
                  > hoping that once they're clean they'll still *cut* clean. Sigh.
                  > >>
                  > >> Susanna de l'Essart

                  Yes, Goo-Gone is a wonderful product but it can't possibly repair the
                  tiny little dings and knicks that using scissors on anything but fabric
                  create. I don't even use my good sewing sheers on metallic embroidery
                  floss. Donate the used ones to your husband and tell him if he so much
                  as looks at the new ones he may just find out how sharp they are.

                  ....leaving things to one's imagination.....

                  Nadyezhda the Simple

                • Dragondancer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 15, 2013
                    It may sound blasphemous...but I use SOS pads.
                    Mevanou