Re: Two Truths and a Lie about Sarmatians #1

  • Hillary
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12, 2013
      Ha, perhaps you guys didn't watch that recent King Arthur film with Clive Owen and Kira Knightly. His knights were Sarmatian bond-men.

      According to online dictionary:
      An ancient region of eastern Europe northeast of the Black Sea. The Sarmatian people occupied the area after the fourth century b.c. and fled across the Carpathian Mountains and along the Danube River after the onslaught of the Huns. The term is also applied to the territory between the Vistula and Volga rivers during the time of the Roman Empire, a region now covering parts of Poland, Belarus, and SW Russia.

      Also, with some maps:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians

      Cheers, Hillary

      --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Lana Tessler <minxlette@...> wrote:

      > Out of curiosity, what is a Sarmatian?
    • Lana Tessler
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12, 2013
        i have attempted valiantly to block that movie from my mind. ;)

        Sent from my iPad
        Lana Tessler

        On Apr 12, 2013, at 8:52 PM, "Hillary" <hillaryrg@...> wrote:

        > Ha, perhaps you guys didn't watch that recent King Arthur film with Clive Owen and Kira Knightly. His knights were Sarmatian bond-men.
        >
        > According to online dictionary:
        > An ancient region of eastern Europe northeast of the Black Sea. The Sarmatian people occupied the area after the fourth century b.c. and fled across the Carpathian Mountains and along the Danube River after the onslaught of the Huns. The term is also applied to the territory between the Vistula and Volga rivers during the time of the Roman Empire, a region now covering parts of Poland, Belarus, and SW Russia.
        >
        > Also, with some maps:
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians
        >
        > Cheers, Hillary
        >
        > --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Lana Tessler <minxlette@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Out of curiosity, what is a Sarmatian?

      • celticdragon38
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 13, 2013
          Bleagh. You know, I could have forgiven the historical inaccuracies given how fantastical the movie seemed meant to be if it were actually a *good movie*...but no. It came out shortly after I had decided on a Sarmatian persona. For about two seconds I thought, "Hey, someone's giving Sarmatians airtime! Cool!" But that got blown to pieces pretty quickly. The whole Arthurian debacle is something I'll be blogging on once the 2T&AL is done.
          -Aritê

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 13, 2013
            Lol. I feel the exact same way. :)

            Lana Tessler