Re: [Gray-Fox-Members] Ding! AS XXXI done!

  • Carrot Khan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2013
      Thank you so much, Tatiana.

      Unfortunately, I lay awake all last night having sent my update letter,
      realizing way too late that I have gotten my dates wrong. My emotional
      memory hasn't changed, but apparently my calendar dates have shifted.

      I will have to do this panel again and do it differently. A date check
      shows that Prince Jafar won crown 11/97 which is year 32, not 31. I have
      made a terrible mistake and now have to re-image and re-do 31 as well as
      coming up with a new image for 32.

      I'm so sorry, everyone. I'm very embarrassed to have caught my error this
      late, having been thinking about it for years.

      Jadwiga
      Tapestry

    • Cat Berdanier
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2013
        Jadwiga, Even I don't know my SCA history nearly as well as I should having been in the society for 30 years and played in 6 kingdoms, so keep in mind that what you are doing is huge for the society, it will tell a tale that has been begging to be told long after you complete your extremely ambitious goal. Mistakes can happen. Considering you are dealing with so many events over such a long period of time, something is bound to glitch at least once. First of all I'm so sorry that the mistake was caught after the embroidery was completed. It is a lot of work and especially on a project that is so time consuming. But, it isn't so much about the fact that you made a mistake as how you are going to deal with it. Yes, you can accept that you made a mistake and apologize for it, huge step one by the way, and you have done so, with eloquent words, especially considering this is a topic near and dear to many hearts still. Then you can get on with sorting the issue. I don't know how your grand plan is laid out in your mind but could you possibly use part of the picture and splice the fabric? Could you use existing embroidery in an applique style done with blind stitches right on the edge so they won't show from any distance? Would it work to make new panel(s) on the side of the existing one in a way to sort of sandwich the information? Is there any precedence for error corrections on the original tapestry? Best of luck in finding a solution and whatever you choose to do with these years, kudos to you for taking on such a project! Cathryn

      • Carrot Khan
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2013
          > Jadwiga, Even I don't know my SCA history nearly as well as I should
          > having been in the society for 30 years and played in 6 kingdoms, so keep
          > in mind that what you are doing is huge for the society, it will tell a
          > tale that has been begging to be told long after you complete your
          > extremely ambitious goal. Mistakes can happen. Considering you are
          > dealing with so many events over such a long period of time, something is
          > bound to glitch at least once. First of all I'm so sorry that the mistake
          > was caught after the embroidery was completed. It is a lot of work and
          > especially on a project that is so time consuming. But, it isn't so much
          > about the fact that you made a mistake as how you are going to deal with
          > it. Yes, you can accept that you made a mistake and apologize for it, huge
          > step one by the way, and you have done so, with eloquent words, especially
          > considering this is a topic near and dear to many hearts still. Then you
          > can get on with sorting the issue. I don't know how your grand plan is
          > laid out in your mind but could you possibly use part of the picture and
          > splice the fabric? Could you use existing embroidery in an applique style
          > done with blind stitches right on the edge so they won't show from any
          > distance? Would it work to make new panel(s) on the side of the existing
          > one in a way to sort of sandwich the information? Is there any precedence
          > for error corrections on the original tapestry? Best of luck in finding a
          > solution and whatever you choose to do with these years, kudos to you for
          > taking on such a project! Cathryn

          Your support is very kind, Cathryn. Thank you. I needed this as I angsted
          into my morning coffee.

          I have the tapestry spread out on the couch and I've been staring holes in
          it, trying I figure out how to salvage it with the least damage. Cutting
          the whole length off and starting again would probably be the neatest
          option, giving the least visual disruption. I really want to keep the
          Princess-as-Valkyires and thought perhaps if I cut out the middle to splice
          a new image between them - it would work as well. The margins between the
          characters are very narrow and irregular so I'm not sure if I'd be able to
          stitch them together securely. There are holes and whatnot in the Bayeux
          where it is obviously patched, so a jagged seam would not be entirely out
          of period. At that point, its merely OCD and Pride that argues against it.
          ;)

          Its just that I probably spend more time thinking about this panel than any
          of the others (per my extremely nostalgic memory) and with that much time
          spent on it, I should have gotten my dates correct. The AS calender
          constantly trips me up when referencing Julian dates. I suppose it was
          bound to happen sooner or later, I just wish it had been with a smaller and
          more easily repaired panel.

          Jadwiga
          Tapestry Chick