Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] New set of challenges, sort of, maybe

  • hkubasch
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15 5:45 PM
      Needle cases, dice, gaming pieces, decorative pins, beads, and flutes among
      other things. I think that the Museum of London has a needle case made out
      of the bone of a large bird (probably a goose.) Finds on the Mary Rose
      include bone rosary beads. Another excellent reference for bone finds is:

      The Archaeology of York: Vol. 17: Small finds: bone, antler, ivory and
      horn from AngLo-Scandinavian and medieval York. by A. MacGregor, A.J. Mainman
      and N.S>H. Rogers.

      I got the book out on interlibrary loan last summer and really enjoyed it.

      Regards
      Sophia

      In a message dated 3/15/2013 1:03:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      alban@... writes:

      A friend (a long-ago member of the local shire) and I are getting up enough
      energy to think about making charcuterie and salume and terrines and such.
      ("Huh?" Fancy-shmancy terms for meat things that aren't roasts or steaks,
      aka smoked, cured, dry-cured, chopped, sliced, diced, ground, herbed,
      salted, and spiced-for-long-term-storage of meat - prosciutto, coppa,
      motdadella, salami, sausages, blood sausages, etc., etc., etc.)

      We've got a few cookbooks concerning all that, but they're all modern
      cookboooks, and what quote traditional unquote recipes they contain are of the
      "well, my grandfather learned this from his mother's aunt, who swears it
      goes back generations" type. Rumors rather than actual dates, in other words.

      I'm wondering, therefore, if anyone here might have a good reference or
      two to _period_ sausage recipes. French, German, Italian, English, Scottish,
      Hungarian, whatever. And not only recipes, but also which cuts of which
      animals, if such information exists.

      ....and while I'm on it, is there an article or two out there somewhere
      about what uses bones could be put to? Not ivory, just bones, and not for
      stock-making but for decorative and/or useful objects. I vaguely remember dice
      and combs; are there any others?

      (Well, okay, maybe ivory, if teeth from a cow's or a sheep's jaw could be
      considered "ivory". Surely they must have been used for _something_,
      right?)

      Alban, wondering how soon a half-cow could disappear into edibles

    • lorenzo_da_siena
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16 6:09 AM
        There are several sausage recipes in Sabrina Welserin's cookbook (1553). There's a translation here: http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html

        --Lorenzo

        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Ted " <alban@...> wrote:

        > A friend (a long-ago member of the local shire) and I are getting up enough energy to think about making charcuterie and salume and terrines and such. ("Huh?" Fancy-shmancy terms for meat things that aren't roasts or steaks, aka smoked, cured, dry-cured, chopped, sliced, diced, ground, herbed, salted, and spiced-for-long-term-storage of meat - prosciutto, coppa, motdadella, salami, sausages, blood sausages, etc., etc., etc.)
        >
        > We've got a few cookbooks concerning all that, but they're all modern cookboooks, and what quote traditional unquote recipes they contain are of the "well, my grandfather learned this from his mother's aunt, who swears it goes back generations" type. Rumors rather than actual dates, in other words.
        >
        > I'm wondering, therefore, if anyone here might have a good reference or two to _period_ sausage recipes. French, German, Italian, English, Scottish, Hungarian, whatever. And not only recipes, but also which cuts of which animals, if such information exists.
        >

        > ....and while I'm on it, is there an article or two out there somewhere about what uses bones could be put to? Not ivory, just bones, and not for stock-making but for decorative and/or useful objects. I vaguely remember dice and combs; are there any others?
        >
        > (Well, okay, maybe ivory, if teeth from a cow's or a sheep's jaw could be considered "ivory". Surely they must have been used for _something_, right?)
        >

        > Alban, wondering how soon a half-cow could disappear into edibles

      • Andrea AskenDunn
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16 7:44 AM
          buttons? those hole-pokey things for making button holes? Also the big flat
          needles for pulling lacing through holes. ( I know both of those have real
          names, but I can't think of them).
          Asther de Perpinya