RE: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] New set of challenges, sort of, maybe

  • Anthony Satoh
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2013
      Looking for references on things made of bone.This online document has TONS of stuff in it.The entire publication can be downloaded and there are tons of references and photos from "our" period and prior.
      Written in Bones Studies on technological and social contexts of past skeletal remains Faunal edited by Justin Baron and Bernadette Pint-Diakowska, Wroclaw 2011
      http://www.archeo.uni.wroc.pl/index.php?sw=6&st=8
      Enjoy
      -Ercc

      > On Friday, March 15, 2013 05:03:42 PM you wrote:
      > ....and while I'm on it, is there an article or two out there somewhere
      > about what uses bones could be put to? Not ivory, just bones, and not for
      > stock-making but for decorative and/or useful objects. I vaguely remember
      > dice and combs; are there any others?

    • hkubasch
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2013
        Needle cases, dice, gaming pieces, decorative pins, beads, and flutes among
        other things. I think that the Museum of London has a needle case made out
        of the bone of a large bird (probably a goose.) Finds on the Mary Rose
        include bone rosary beads. Another excellent reference for bone finds is:

        The Archaeology of York: Vol. 17: Small finds: bone, antler, ivory and
        horn from AngLo-Scandinavian and medieval York. by A. MacGregor, A.J. Mainman
        and N.S>H. Rogers.

        I got the book out on interlibrary loan last summer and really enjoyed it.

        Regards
        Sophia

        In a message dated 3/15/2013 1:03:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        alban@... writes:

        A friend (a long-ago member of the local shire) and I are getting up enough
        energy to think about making charcuterie and salume and terrines and such.
        ("Huh?" Fancy-shmancy terms for meat things that aren't roasts or steaks,
        aka smoked, cured, dry-cured, chopped, sliced, diced, ground, herbed,
        salted, and spiced-for-long-term-storage of meat - prosciutto, coppa,
        motdadella, salami, sausages, blood sausages, etc., etc., etc.)

        We've got a few cookbooks concerning all that, but they're all modern
        cookboooks, and what quote traditional unquote recipes they contain are of the
        "well, my grandfather learned this from his mother's aunt, who swears it
        goes back generations" type. Rumors rather than actual dates, in other words.

        I'm wondering, therefore, if anyone here might have a good reference or
        two to _period_ sausage recipes. French, German, Italian, English, Scottish,
        Hungarian, whatever. And not only recipes, but also which cuts of which
        animals, if such information exists.

        ....and while I'm on it, is there an article or two out there somewhere
        about what uses bones could be put to? Not ivory, just bones, and not for
        stock-making but for decorative and/or useful objects. I vaguely remember dice
        and combs; are there any others?

        (Well, okay, maybe ivory, if teeth from a cow's or a sheep's jaw could be
        considered "ivory". Surely they must have been used for _something_,
        right?)

        Alban, wondering how soon a half-cow could disappear into edibles

      • lorenzo_da_siena
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
          There are several sausage recipes in Sabrina Welserin's cookbook (1553). There's a translation here: http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html

          --Lorenzo

          --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Ted " <alban@...> wrote:

          > A friend (a long-ago member of the local shire) and I are getting up enough energy to think about making charcuterie and salume and terrines and such. ("Huh?" Fancy-shmancy terms for meat things that aren't roasts or steaks, aka smoked, cured, dry-cured, chopped, sliced, diced, ground, herbed, salted, and spiced-for-long-term-storage of meat - prosciutto, coppa, motdadella, salami, sausages, blood sausages, etc., etc., etc.)
          >
          > We've got a few cookbooks concerning all that, but they're all modern cookboooks, and what quote traditional unquote recipes they contain are of the "well, my grandfather learned this from his mother's aunt, who swears it goes back generations" type. Rumors rather than actual dates, in other words.
          >
          > I'm wondering, therefore, if anyone here might have a good reference or two to _period_ sausage recipes. French, German, Italian, English, Scottish, Hungarian, whatever. And not only recipes, but also which cuts of which animals, if such information exists.
          >

          > ....and while I'm on it, is there an article or two out there somewhere about what uses bones could be put to? Not ivory, just bones, and not for stock-making but for decorative and/or useful objects. I vaguely remember dice and combs; are there any others?
          >
          > (Well, okay, maybe ivory, if teeth from a cow's or a sheep's jaw could be considered "ivory". Surely they must have been used for _something_, right?)
          >

          > Alban, wondering how soon a half-cow could disappear into edibles

        • Andrea AskenDunn
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
            buttons? those hole-pokey things for making button holes? Also the big flat
            needles for pulling lacing through holes. ( I know both of those have real
            names, but I can't think of them).
            Asther de Perpinya