Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] New set of challenges, sort of, maybe

  • J.H. Grace
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2013
      Small bones or teeth could be used to make naalbinding needles and possibly
      sewing needles. I used to have an ivory thimble that had belonged to my
      grandmother, I suspect you could make those out of either bone or ivory.

      Bone or ivory/tooth buttons.

      On 15 March 2013 13:22, Grazia Morgano <grazia@...> wrote:

      > On Friday, March 15, 2013 05:03:42 PM you wrote:
      > > ....and while I'm on it, is there an article or two out there somewhere
      > > about what uses bones could be put to? Not ivory, just bones, and not for
      > > stock-making but for decorative and/or useful objects. I vaguely remember
      > > dice and combs; are there any others?
      >
      > Bone lucets?
      > http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=42539
      >

      > Grazia

      They told me to "get a life". So I got one. Now I have no time to do
      anything!

      Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
      Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/

    • Anthony Satoh
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2013
        Looking for references on things made of bone.This online document has TONS of stuff in it.The entire publication can be downloaded and there are tons of references and photos from "our" period and prior.
        Written in Bones Studies on technological and social contexts of past skeletal remains Faunal edited by Justin Baron and Bernadette Pint-Diakowska, Wroclaw 2011
        http://www.archeo.uni.wroc.pl/index.php?sw=6&st=8
        Enjoy
        -Ercc

        > On Friday, March 15, 2013 05:03:42 PM you wrote:
        > ....and while I'm on it, is there an article or two out there somewhere
        > about what uses bones could be put to? Not ivory, just bones, and not for
        > stock-making but for decorative and/or useful objects. I vaguely remember
        > dice and combs; are there any others?

      • hkubasch
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2013
          Needle cases, dice, gaming pieces, decorative pins, beads, and flutes among
          other things. I think that the Museum of London has a needle case made out
          of the bone of a large bird (probably a goose.) Finds on the Mary Rose
          include bone rosary beads. Another excellent reference for bone finds is:

          The Archaeology of York: Vol. 17: Small finds: bone, antler, ivory and
          horn from AngLo-Scandinavian and medieval York. by A. MacGregor, A.J. Mainman
          and N.S>H. Rogers.

          I got the book out on interlibrary loan last summer and really enjoyed it.

          Regards
          Sophia

          In a message dated 3/15/2013 1:03:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          alban@... writes:

          A friend (a long-ago member of the local shire) and I are getting up enough
          energy to think about making charcuterie and salume and terrines and such.
          ("Huh?" Fancy-shmancy terms for meat things that aren't roasts or steaks,
          aka smoked, cured, dry-cured, chopped, sliced, diced, ground, herbed,
          salted, and spiced-for-long-term-storage of meat - prosciutto, coppa,
          motdadella, salami, sausages, blood sausages, etc., etc., etc.)

          We've got a few cookbooks concerning all that, but they're all modern
          cookboooks, and what quote traditional unquote recipes they contain are of the
          "well, my grandfather learned this from his mother's aunt, who swears it
          goes back generations" type. Rumors rather than actual dates, in other words.

          I'm wondering, therefore, if anyone here might have a good reference or
          two to _period_ sausage recipes. French, German, Italian, English, Scottish,
          Hungarian, whatever. And not only recipes, but also which cuts of which
          animals, if such information exists.

          ....and while I'm on it, is there an article or two out there somewhere
          about what uses bones could be put to? Not ivory, just bones, and not for
          stock-making but for decorative and/or useful objects. I vaguely remember dice
          and combs; are there any others?

          (Well, okay, maybe ivory, if teeth from a cow's or a sheep's jaw could be
          considered "ivory". Surely they must have been used for _something_,
          right?)

          Alban, wondering how soon a half-cow could disappear into edibles

        • lorenzo_da_siena
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
            There are several sausage recipes in Sabrina Welserin's cookbook (1553). There's a translation here: http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html

            --Lorenzo

            --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Ted " <alban@...> wrote:

            > A friend (a long-ago member of the local shire) and I are getting up enough energy to think about making charcuterie and salume and terrines and such. ("Huh?" Fancy-shmancy terms for meat things that aren't roasts or steaks, aka smoked, cured, dry-cured, chopped, sliced, diced, ground, herbed, salted, and spiced-for-long-term-storage of meat - prosciutto, coppa, motdadella, salami, sausages, blood sausages, etc., etc., etc.)
            >
            > We've got a few cookbooks concerning all that, but they're all modern cookboooks, and what quote traditional unquote recipes they contain are of the "well, my grandfather learned this from his mother's aunt, who swears it goes back generations" type. Rumors rather than actual dates, in other words.
            >
            > I'm wondering, therefore, if anyone here might have a good reference or two to _period_ sausage recipes. French, German, Italian, English, Scottish, Hungarian, whatever. And not only recipes, but also which cuts of which animals, if such information exists.
            >

            > ....and while I'm on it, is there an article or two out there somewhere about what uses bones could be put to? Not ivory, just bones, and not for stock-making but for decorative and/or useful objects. I vaguely remember dice and combs; are there any others?
            >
            > (Well, okay, maybe ivory, if teeth from a cow's or a sheep's jaw could be considered "ivory". Surely they must have been used for _something_, right?)
            >

            > Alban, wondering how soon a half-cow could disappear into edibles

          • Andrea AskenDunn
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
              buttons? those hole-pokey things for making button holes? Also the big flat
              needles for pulling lacing through holes. ( I know both of those have real
              names, but I can't think of them).
              Asther de Perpinya