Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Crafting question -

  • Carrot Khan
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
      >What is a not period color?

      Dyers always know that its possible - but not so much everyone else, so I
      shall be defending it endlessly I'm sure. I found some illuminated images
      of parti-plaid cotehardies. I had to have one. I have a serious love of
      ugly plaid. The uglier the better. Madras makes me giddy with delight. A
      trip to the fabric store for something else (isn't that how it always is?)
      had me come home with the last two yards of a bubble gum pink, lemon
      yellow, and bright turquoise flannel plaid. It just happens to match
      (almost near perfectly but not quite) some turquoise flannel I had laying
      around (for a project I have since apparently forgot about). Just enough,
      it seems, for a short sleeved outter layer cotehardie.

      What eye-bleeding colored cotehardie to go under this fashion atrocity has
      yet to be determined. I do have a spicy orange linen...

      Jadwiga
      Tapestry Chick

    • Ashlyn
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
        That sounds amazing, I am eagerly looking forward to photos of the finished outfit!

        Adalia

        On 2013-02-21, at 10:27 AM, Carrot Khan <carrot.khan@...> wrote:

        > >What is a not period color?
        >
        > Dyers always know that its possible - but not so much everyone else, so I
        > shall be defending it endlessly I'm sure. I found some illuminated images
        > of parti-plaid cotehardies. I had to have one. I have a serious love of
        > ugly plaid. The uglier the better. Madras makes me giddy with delight. A
        > trip to the fabric store for something else (isn't that how it always is?)
        > had me come home with the last two yards of a bubble gum pink, lemon
        > yellow, and bright turquoise flannel plaid. It just happens to match
        > (almost near perfectly but not quite) some turquoise flannel I had laying
        > around (for a project I have since apparently forgot about). Just enough,
        > it seems, for a short sleeved outter layer cotehardie.
        >
        > What eye-bleeding colored cotehardie to go under this fashion atrocity has
        > yet to be determined. I do have a spicy orange linen...
        >
        > Jadwiga
        > Tapestry Chick

      • blaidddwrg
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
          it's not so much what is a period color as what is a period fiber and what is a period dye. commercial dyes today are almost all what are called coal/tar or petroleum based dyes. even some naturday dyes stuffs would not have been available throughout sca period. as long as you start with the right fiber in time and the right dye stuff in time there is no limit to the colors you might achieve.
          moira nic connell the strongbow
          see you on the range