Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Crafting question -

  • Dianna
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
      What is a not period color? Last summer I got everything from neon pink
      to lime green to mauve as well as blues, reds, cream cycle orange,
      purple, some really beautiful tans and browns, all using only indigo,
      madder and various plant materials with alum and vinegar the only
      mordants. I want to try it again next summer with urea to see what
      colors I can get. I can't imagine any color available to us that
      wouldn't have been available in the middle ages.
      Avacyn

      > I just happen to have done this recently and I like this one:
      >
      > http://medievaltailor.com/demonstrations/buttons/
      >
      > Eva vanOldebroek
      >
      > --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Carrot Khan <carrot.khan@...> wrote:
      >> Can anyone here direct me to a place where there's good
      >> instructions/picture on not only making cloth buttons but _attaching_ them
      >> to a cotehardie? I've some delicious flannel in a OH SO NOT PERIOD color
      >> and I'm making up for it by doing the rest of it as period-licious as
      >> possible. ;)
      >>
      >> Jadwiga
      >> Tapestry Chick

    • Carrot Khan
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
        >What is a not period color?

        Dyers always know that its possible - but not so much everyone else, so I
        shall be defending it endlessly I'm sure. I found some illuminated images
        of parti-plaid cotehardies. I had to have one. I have a serious love of
        ugly plaid. The uglier the better. Madras makes me giddy with delight. A
        trip to the fabric store for something else (isn't that how it always is?)
        had me come home with the last two yards of a bubble gum pink, lemon
        yellow, and bright turquoise flannel plaid. It just happens to match
        (almost near perfectly but not quite) some turquoise flannel I had laying
        around (for a project I have since apparently forgot about). Just enough,
        it seems, for a short sleeved outter layer cotehardie.

        What eye-bleeding colored cotehardie to go under this fashion atrocity has
        yet to be determined. I do have a spicy orange linen...

        Jadwiga
        Tapestry Chick

      • Ashlyn
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
          That sounds amazing, I am eagerly looking forward to photos of the finished outfit!

          Adalia

          On 2013-02-21, at 10:27 AM, Carrot Khan <carrot.khan@...> wrote:

          > >What is a not period color?
          >
          > Dyers always know that its possible - but not so much everyone else, so I
          > shall be defending it endlessly I'm sure. I found some illuminated images
          > of parti-plaid cotehardies. I had to have one. I have a serious love of
          > ugly plaid. The uglier the better. Madras makes me giddy with delight. A
          > trip to the fabric store for something else (isn't that how it always is?)
          > had me come home with the last two yards of a bubble gum pink, lemon
          > yellow, and bright turquoise flannel plaid. It just happens to match
          > (almost near perfectly but not quite) some turquoise flannel I had laying
          > around (for a project I have since apparently forgot about). Just enough,
          > it seems, for a short sleeved outter layer cotehardie.
          >
          > What eye-bleeding colored cotehardie to go under this fashion atrocity has
          > yet to be determined. I do have a spicy orange linen...
          >
          > Jadwiga
          > Tapestry Chick

        • blaidddwrg
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
            it's not so much what is a period color as what is a period fiber and what is a period dye. commercial dyes today are almost all what are called coal/tar or petroleum based dyes. even some naturday dyes stuffs would not have been available throughout sca period. as long as you start with the right fiber in time and the right dye stuff in time there is no limit to the colors you might achieve.
            moira nic connell the strongbow
            see you on the range